Question about cheater-block

Its easy to change your ip and nickname...

Xanni

Obviously

XHispage = forum idiot

XHispage2 = forum idiot

now your Xanni slightly less of an idiot - for now anyway

You make it look easy

Xanni,

Your point has been brought up countless times. People want the admins to do nothing just because it isn't a perfect fix. If they came up with a way to block a players DNA someone will say "What about twins"? It's maddening. When you were branded forum idiot you could have come back as "John Doe" and noone would know the difference, but you didn't, why?

People's phony names are thier identity online. Even when they switch names and IPs they still want people to know who they are. I have seen many cheaters come back and tell thier friends who they are. Plus, just because a solution isn't perfect doesn't mean it's not worth doing.

I know , and im sorry for being an idiot the first 2 times , now I try to beno idiot :D , anyways , the reason why I didnt come back as another name is because I frakly cant think of another name , I allways use my real name! (and I cant remember any other names then my own name...) BTW. Blokker , just a question , with Blokker do you mean Blocker as in blocking a cheater / attacker or as in the shop???

Xanni

It would be excellent if they increase the reliability of the CRC checking, but allow the game to be started even with mods.

With that setup the MTAClient could send out, maybe every 1 or 2 minutes, or even more often, a packet with the crc information.

This way a server could be configured to allow or block modded clients. Everyone wins. Cheaters can have cheat servers, and Official servers can block modded clients.

why would you have a cheater server??? If its all cheaters , then nobody can be killed! So noby can get a kill rate! SO nobody wins!Cheating is bad and should be banned , not promoted or motivated... Anyways , vehicle mods should be alowed , I like my 2f2f cars... But the handling.cfg should be CRC checked , btw , whats a crc , is it just filesize and filename check???

Xanni

Well, at the current moment, you cant even run trainers, as soon as you try and use one the game shuts down. Also, when I say a cheat server I don't mean everyone being godlike, I mean car mods at most... Modding cars is the funnest part of GTA VC or GTA 3.

EDIT: Although, it would be nice to have god mode (or a LOT more health) in stunt with undamageable vehicles. Doing one damn jump and my car rolling over is not fun, then ya gotta run all the way back and wait for your car to respawn, that is if someone hasnt taken it.

Maybe we should have a program that tells us where the IP is, then you get 4 of your friends + baseball bats and hunt him/her down. Then you bash the bejebus out of him/her! However if the cheat block was wrong, and he/she was not a cheater, well it sucks to be him/her.

I am right now quite impressed with what eAi is doing. He's posted in another thread about his program MTA-AntiCheat. That program bans by hardware id, and that is extremely difficult to change. I don't know exactly what he means by that, but I know it is not the MAC address. I think it is like the serial numbers of the hardware in your computer; I highly doubt a cheater would take out a CDROM to get out of a ban ;-)

lol death... I'm probably wrong because ANYTHING can be gotten around with time, but it certainly would reduce the number of cheaters.

As for innocents, I'm willing to sacrifice 1% innocent people to get rid of 99% cheaters. Whos with me?

I think there's more honest players then cheaters, but the cheaters tend to stand out. MTA does a decent job of stopping cheaters, there seems to be less of them this time around. I'm sure it's just a matter of time before it becomes as bad as .2.2 was at the end there.

One thing I do notice, however, is that just when things seem to get to the point where they just can't get any worse, the MTA teams gets a new version out there which kind of puts a whole "do over" glaze on the cheaters.

There will always be cheaters, regardless of how much protection any given game has. The only way to stop them completely would be to have the client running as a program from a remote server. Basically you have to log into said server to get to the client to get to the game to enjoy MTA. This puts complete control over the client and everything involved with it in the hands of the owners of the server.

This is a wee bit unrealitic, isn't it? I'm still trying to figure out why folks have to cheat. It's not THAT hard of a game afterall.

:P