Visual Studio: Faster disk or more RAM?

Anderl

Hi guys,

I've been searching about which option would give me more performance while building projects and the software's speed itself (not sure how would I express that, I mean, software's performance while programming, using it) but I still wasn't able to come to a conclusion. Is it better to get a solid-state disk or more RAM? I also found some things about RAM disks, some people said they've got a big boost with it, though I also saw people saying it doesn't boost up anything. I'd like an opinion of someone who has knowledge in that area and that, of course, uses Visual Studio.

I know this might not be the right place to be asking such things, but I'm sure someone here can answer this.

Hi guys,

I've been searching about which option would give me more performance while building projects and the software's speed itself (not sure how would I express that, I mean, software's performance while programming, using it) but I still wasn't able to come to a conclusion. Is it better to get a solid-state disk or more RAM? I also found some things about RAM disks, some people said they've got a big boost with it, though I also saw people saying it doesn't boost up anything. I'd like an opinion of someone who has knowledge in that area and that, of course, uses Visual Studio.

I know this might not be the right place to be asking such things, but I'm sure someone here can answer this.

Well Anderl, I think i know what you mean. My old computer had 12gb RAM, and it was decent! With my new computer I have a SSD, and if you read good comments on it, I agree! Its unbelievable, and if you boot up your computer from the SSD, it is so fast you'd think you had put it to sleep before you left! In my opinion if you have "Decent" RAM, get a SSD!

Just my opinion!

-Lloyd

I already know that, but that's not most people's recommendation. That's why I'm here asking someone with knowledge in that area (and I mean really have knowledge, doesn't mean because you have a SSD that you know anything in that area since most people at the moment buy these overpriced disks just because yes, I'm not saying you don't know anything in that area tho).

Edited by Guest

Mechanical hard drives are definitely the larger bottleneck. I would upgrade to an SSD before purchasing more RAM. As long as you have at least 8GB of RAM, save up for an SSD instead. I notice quicker build times (of my own small applications) with an SSD over more RAM. I do have 32GB of RAM as well.