• 1 month later...
Can't you just make the other domains redirect to this domain?

You beat me to this, but yeah.. can't you just do that? Or atleast set a rewrite *edit: i meant rewrite RULE* (if you're using apache) so that any direct links to a post or topic wont be broken?

Edited by Guest

Well, think about it, MTA isn't going to stay with SA the whole time... most of the work is being put into SA because everyone loves it and it shows how far MTA can change a game.

Future MTA Mods are going to be with IV and V, and there will be different domain names for all of them, so that's why they can't redirect MTA to MTASA.com

I meant a rewrite rule... and secondly.. jaysds1 you CAN change a rewrite rule/redirect after it's been configured. Just change the configuration on the web server, also permanent redirects aren't really permanent - they just tell browsers to remember to go to the other site instead of coming to the site.

and no mr.prestege its not a problem in the forum

I meant a rewrite rule... and secondly.. jaysds1 you CAN change a rewrite rule/redirect after it's been configured. Just change the configuration on the web server, also permanent redirects aren't really permanent - they just tell browsers to remember to go to the other site instead of coming to the site.

and no mr.prestege its not a problem in the forum

Ok,Thanks am using opera now and work's fine :wink: .

permanent redirects unfortunatly can NOT be recalled by the server but are stored in your local cache with certain browsers. So giving a permanent redirect is not a smart thing to do if you know that one day you will change it.

"if you know that one day you will change it".. the question here really is – are you gonna do it? I do not see a single advantage in using the longer multitheftauto.com domain over the short mtasa.com. The longer domain is perhaps good for catching audience through some search engines, but there's no reason you shouldn't redirect everybody to the shorter domain afterwards.

Also, the decision between www and non-www is really a make it and forget about it decision. Using both is never a good solution. Again, shorter is usually better, but it's more of a personal preference perhaps.

And the 301 redirect cache is not a dead-beat thing either, you can set a cache-control and expires headers, so you don't have to worry about your future plans with the domain and the redirect being engraved in the visitors' cache.

Using loads of domains always causes more hassle than it's worth (especially if you depend on 3rd party software). Making users miserable, because of the possibility that *maybe* *some day* *in the distant future* you may want to use the longer domain for something, is never a good trade-off.

The downfall of a redirect is that the links to forums will be broken, hence the need for a rewrite ruules.

I think www. should always rewrite to without www; www is too long and just plain old.

How exactly will links be broken? Redirects can be made to redirect to the same path on a different TLD, no additional rules necessary.