setBrightness() function

rain_gloom

Do you want a more authentic time-circle?  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want a more authentic time-circle?

• Yes, it makes the game realistic.
    • No, I'm afraid of nights.

Since MTA:DayZ is getting so popular, but lacks REALLY dark nights-which is crucial-this function could be implemented, so the server can overwrite the client's brightness setting.

If it doesn't, then people who drop their brightness for better experience will be in disadvantage for the ones who don't. :redhotevil:

It would also make time settings useful. With 100% brightness the difference between day and night is only the sky color. :cry:

I don't think you can, Cadu12. GTA brightness doesn't just change the screen brightness, it also sets the density of the building shadows (also the brightness of a shader would look depending of the brightness setting anyway). It doesn't seem to be an effect of a traditional brightness effect because I made a shader that changed the brightness (supossing that it's a traditional one), used it with the default MTA brightness quantiy, compared it and it was really different, so in my opinion this feature wouldn't be a bad idea, together with setShadowType and setGrassEffectEnabled.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

setBrightness wouldn't actually do anything I'd suspect, since it would basically be a function to control graphic brightness, in which case you may aswell use a dxDrawRectangle on the screen as I mentioned.

Or, use a pixel shader. I use one and it works very well.

setBrightness wouldn't actually do anything I'd suspect, since it would basically be a function to control graphic brightness, in which case you may aswell use a dxDrawRectangle on the screen as I mentioned.

Or, use a pixel shader. I use one and it works very well.

pixel shader lags or refuses to work on slow machines, all I want is a setting that's already in-game to be forced by script.

If it's possible with binds, why is it so hard with other functions?

I'm no expert in MTA's inner script, but I don't think it's more than 5 minutes of work for an experienced developer.

And as I said, dxDrawRectangle would work the exact same as setBrightness, since it would just control the brightness of their screen, thus making it lighter, or darker. A alpha'd black rectangle would do that.

Precisely. MTA has brightness reading functions that are very inaccurate and get it from the lightmap or something. Just script this yourself with a custom brightness script.