Traffic.

Magnus

I know this question has probably been asked a million times over, but, is it at all possible to include traffic and AI?

Alot of people keep telling me that it would lag the game up, but couldn't you have it as an options that can be enabled or disabled?... For example w/ lans... I am sure it wouldn't lag in lan games.

** Maybe even an option chosing how much traffic you want? ***

Thanks.

traffic would be heaps good in this.

CrowClock

Crazy poster

Posted: Wed Aug 27, 2003 10:43 am Post subject: Re: Need traffic!

damon wrote:

traffic would be heaps good in this.

its impossable. its hard to sync it.. *shoots this topic with a gun*

I am a Freelancer.. I help no gang unless I get a good offer from one of them

IJsVogel

The MTA Team

Posted: Wed Aug 27, 2003 2:01 pm Post subject:

that would eat alot of netcode, and we're not into that at the moment.. it's only 0.2 remember

Proud member of Multi Theft Auto

Uncompressing Linux... Ok, booting the kernel.

Linux version 2.4.20-xfs-r2 (root@ToyRoom) (gcc version 3.2.1 20021207 (Gentoo Linux 3.2.1-20021207))

Gussi

Enhanced MTA User

Posted: Sat Aug 30, 2003 5:41 am Post subject:

traffic = no

peds = no

I don't want this to turn in Vice City Single player, it's supposed to be a multiplayer, want traffic? go to single player...

OK! The Ice is here...

SteadVéx

MTA Fan

Posted: Sun Aug 31, 2003 3:23 am Post subject:

Thats like saying GTA 1 & 2's multiplayer was stupid because they had not only traffic and ped's, but also cops (gta 2 that is)

i personally would never of played them in mp if there was no traffic, imagine having to search the city to find a car, wheres the fun in that? and then you would only have deathmatch, there was also points mode first to so many points by killing people and cars etc...

scurvy

MTA Fan

Posted: Sun Aug 31, 2003 3:32 am Post subject:

we dont need traffic and damn peds, it would be too hard to find/see people...

Ahh I see.... Well... it's not even possible for the server to run the traffic?... with a good powerful processor and a gameplay mode maybe only available to LAN? I understand it would take alot of work.... so are you completely overlooking this topic?... or just giving it time?

IJsVogel

The MTA Team

Posted: Wed Aug 27, 2003 2:01 pm Post subject:

that would eat alot of netcode, and we're not into that at the moment.. it's only 0.2 remember

--- Also, does this mean, it will be done?.. just all in good time?

Sorry for bringing up a dead topic.

To be honest, MTA doesn't need pedestrians. As far as i can tell the game can support between 96 and 128 actors, so it would be possible, but think about the ammount of data that would be sent. Remember pedestrians would have to be all over the city, and everyone would have to be able to see them. In single player, theres only pedestrians near the player.

One way to do it of course would be a 'seed' basis, but the gta pedestrians just walk around randomly, they don't follow a pattern, so it would require a complete new pedestrian code base to be written, which is impratical and virtually impossible without the gta3/vc source code. Its not possible to have server controlled pedestrians as the servers don't have a clue about gta3/vc's layout or anything. They're just passing co-ordinates etc around to the different players. You'd be a step closer if you had a copy of gta3/vc for each server, but thats not pratical, and its only a step in a 100 mile race...

As to implementing on LANs, the same applies, its not pratical to write the syncronisation code.

And, as i said, who needs pedestrians that much anyway. Its like saying you want civilians in counter strike... its not a co-op game, and thats all there is to it.

I'd be incredibly supprised if syncronised pedestrians are ever implemented using mta's current methods.

eAi

To be honest, MTA doesn't need pedestrians. As far as i can tell the game can support between 96 and 128 actors, so it would be possible, but think about the ammount of data that would be sent. Remember pedestrians would have to be all over the city, and everyone would have to be able to see them. In single player, theres only pedestrians near the player.

One way to do it of course would be a 'seed' basis, but the gta pedestrians just walk around randomly, they don't follow a pattern, so it would require a complete new pedestrian code base to be written, which is impratical and virtually impossible without the gta3/vc source code. Its not possible to have server controlled pedestrians as the servers don't have a clue about gta3/vc's layout or anything. They're just passing co-ordinates etc around to the different players. You'd be a step closer if you had a copy of gta3/vc for each server, but thats not pratical, and its only a step in a 100 mile race...

As to implementing on LANs, the same applies, its not pratical to write the syncronisation code.

And, as i said, who needs pedestrians that much anyway. Its like saying you want civilians in counter strike... its not a co-op game, and thats all there is to it.

I'd be incredibly supprised if syncronised pedestrians are ever implemented using mta's current methods.

eAi

Ahh! Didn't GTA1 have peds?.. I know what you are saying, but it would be so much fun to have a speed chase game where u avoid traffic and peds. I mean even if you just fill in the rest of the availability spaces with AI controlled players as peds (respawn when killed)? I don't know, but I do understand what you are saying... thanks for the enlightment..

but I still hope, one day there will be peds.

note: To make a RP gameplay mode would fix that tho, just serious RPERS but a big group.

Though i have hardly played gta1, i imaging they had a lot more input into the peds. They peds could follow a pattern generated by the client, so that they'd be in the same place on every client. MTA can't pratically control pedestrians in a realistic way due to the ammount of interaction etc between peds and objects (i.e. they don't walk through buildings) in gta3/vc.

eAi

Though i have hardly played gta1, i imaging they had a lot more input into the peds. They peds could follow a pattern generated by the client, so that they'd be in the same place on every client. MTA can't pratically control pedestrians in a realistic way due to the ammount of interaction etc between peds and objects (i.e. they don't walk through buildings) in gta3/vc.

eAi

GTA1 and 2 use a TOTALLY different technique to...just about every other multiplayer game that exists! Game engines are causal, of course, and GTA1 and 2 exploit this factor by simply synchronising the game times. This is why you have to wait for everyone to have joined the chat screen in GTA2 before you can actually begin the level; it means everyone starts the level at the exact same game time.

GTA1 and 2 both ran with a fixed frames/second (25 to be precise) although they could skip chunks of frames out of processing was reaching maximum. Because of this, essentially everything is set in place before the first frame is ever drawn when the level first loads. Once the first frame is drawn, user input is detected, the result processed and the second frame drawn. Whilst user input is being listened to, the engine is creating/moving pedestrians according to the player position.

This is why the civilian traffic and peds sync up in GTA1 and 2 fairly well, although you do get sync failures occasionally. This method is impossible to implement in MTA because it would prevent people from joining games that were already running.

I've made posts like this several times, so can we always have topics like this locked on site in the future? My fingers get tired, you see. :roll:

Edited by Guest