Name Stealing (boot worthy offense?)

Should proven identify theft result in a boot/ban  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Should proven identify theft result in a boot/ban

• Yes
    • No

Everyone was at one time or another namejacked, if you play enough. Most times it is by cheaters trying to ruin your good names.

[KFC]TheCol was kicked from my gang after a name stealing incident. Last night, [KFC]XCrispy was namejacked in a server I was in. I had to throw a fit before I could get him kicked (he was only kicked for being a suspected cheater. I just found out that my name has been used by a cheater who goes by the name Roshambo (I guess)

So as you can see I have been hit rather hard with this lately. If you read the forum I am anti cheating to say the least, so it really wears on me that my name is being used. Well noone really believes it right? Wrong.

MTA and Cheaters

Tuesday, 02:16 PST - Jordan

Multi Theft Auto for Vice City is in its early stages and there are certainly many problems to be fixed. One of the biggest problems right now is cheaters.

This totally ruins the fun that the MTA team took months to implement. One of the cheaters I saw tonight, for instance, [KFC]KungFu, also known as Roshambo, could run faster than cars while shooting any weapon and carjack in less than one second. If you see that name, ban and kick him from your server.

MTA is a great thing, just don't ruin it by cheating.

http://www.3dap.com/gta/rlm/

I agree with the sentament of course and he is right to think I am cheating if he saw that, afterall he doesn't know me. In my gangs of gta gang thread he and a few others have called for my banishment.

I realize that MTA and ASE do not support name logon. I anticipate some apathy for my plight by some of the powers that be based on past conversations. But, if proven can we not have an identity thief booted from the server? All of my gang has to have thier MSN on while playing. If they don't I can have them turn it on. If they are cheaters they cannot turn it on.

Well, I vote yes

i usually ban imposters/cheaters from my server. if i can, i check the ips from the fakers on my server with the real ppl on irc (if ur not using a damned vhost).

unless u can provide a high bandwidth server thats up 24/7 and will be up for months/years, nick logons wont be possible.

anyone who plays as often as us, or is in a clan has been "namejacked" one n00b even had the nerve to join a server that i was on.

should there be a name registry?, I think that that may be a little extreme.

you are going about it the right way though, if you are concerned about this problem, be logged into irc whenever you play, and if you aren't in irc, than people can assume it's not you.

PLUG*another option, is to go the route that we have with the vck server. it is passworded, and only respectful, non cheaters are given the password. (if you want it, ask) by doing this, we make it more difficult for such people.*PLUG

I'm sure I haven't played MTA for nearly as long as any of you, but I've seen this happen to others quite a few times already ...

IMO yes this is boot-worthy - anyone doing this is obviously trying to ruin the game in some way, and the only concern here should really be whether the accusation of namejacking is itself valid.

Not sure if you're bothered about my opinion though KungFuGrip :lol:

anyone who plays as often as us, or is in a clan has been "namejacked" one n00b even had the nerve to join a server that i was on.

should there be a name registry?, I think that that may be a little extreme.

I said that it happens all the time in my first post. I never suggested a name registry, because it's not plausable not because I wouldn't like one. My question is should a known namejacker be Booted? I was told by someone of note that they didn't care about name integrity. After my problems lately I am trying to raise awareness.

GameFreek, just posted something about my gang boss (XCripsy) for something he did on saturday. XCripsy has not been on for over a week. He is back now thou. btw, he lives in philly in case you want to see if it's XCripsy. [btw, Gamefreek later deleted the post based on my information, thanks GF]

PLUG*another option, is to go the route that we have with the vck server. it is passworded, and only respectful, non cheaters are given the password. (if you want it, ask) by doing this, we make it more difficult for such people.*PLUG

I enjoyed the short stay I had in the VCK server. While it is a nice haven from cheaters and I see the password protected servers as being the only refuge until the protections are better, they do not in any way protect your name. While you are in the private server someone can be using a minigun with your name in another server.

The way it is now, you can be in your private server (obviously you) another guy can be you in the official server or the server I was in with all the ULK members and unless he is blatently cheating the fact that he is clearly namejacking is irrelevant.

I'm sure I haven't played MTA for nearly as long as any of you, but I've seen this happen to others quite a few times already ...

IMO yes this is boot-worthy - anyone doing this is obviously trying to ruin the game in some way, and the only concern here should really be whether the accusation of namejacking is itself valid.

Not sure if you're bothered about my opinion though KungFuGrip :lol:

your making me double post Aphix

You are very articulate and honest (lately :lol: ) In my opinion, your opinion is important. My stance against cheating is another subject. I do believe that someone who cheats can become a non cheater, but that doesn't mean that I have to be happy that that person used cheats.

trx from the MTA team does not think that it's even worth accusing people of it since it is a natural curiosity for people to try it. I disagree, I think breaking the eula and cheating is a) turning honest people away from the game b) turning other people into cheats out of frustration and c) making people like me spend way to much time pointing out what should be common sense.

btw I have never tried any cheat in MTA never been curious. :shock:

(this is off topic so please start a new topic with this post or pm me to reply to this point. I never had a chance to respond to this comment in this topic linked below)

http://forum.mtavc.com/viewtopic.php?t= ... highlight=

Thanks for weighing in Aphex I have no grudge against you and I never did.

kfg

It seems to me that this is all about your reputation, not your nickname. One thing you might want to try explaining is why someone is even taking your nickname in the first place. Why would you involve yourself with someone like that, even if for a short period of time? Someone stupid enough to try and steal your nickname and smear your reputation (Kind of a dumb idea)? I see no problem here. This problem has just enough possibility of happening in any other game. Having reserved nicknames would only work on one server, yours, and going beyond that would be rediculous.

It seems to me that this is all about your reputation, not your nickname. One thing you might want to try explaining is why someone is even taking your nickname in the first place. Why would you involve yourself with someone like that, even if for a short period of time?

If I read this right you are suggesting that I invited someone to steal my name? or I am involved with namestealer?

The reason I am a target is because of my gang. Because of my anti cheater opinions that I voice in this forum and because I am downright charasmatic. :lol: I don't apologize for any of that. Do you think me and GodLike were friends at one point? While in the game I tell cheaters to leave if they don't I try to have them booted. I let alt tabbers know that you don't need a download or a trainer to be a cheater .. pausing = cheating.

That has not made me a lot of friends in the cheating world.

And tell me the difference between my reputation and my name? I would still complain if I caught someone playing fairly and kicking ass while being polite, if they used my name. It's MY name!!

But, the fact is people who steal names also use cheats and or are total lamers. Your the second person to bring up passwords. That's not my question. Should I be able to have someone kicked for sitting on a name if I can prove it isn't them. My team has msn on If I see [KFC]Wheelmn using a minigun and he says he is playing Yahoo chess i want to get the fake Wheelmn out of mta before he hurts his name/rep.

most other games dont provide nick jacking, i dont think they do.

I think I am misunderstood, you have already said you would kick a proven namejacker so I know where you stand but I think you misunderstand what I mean by namejacking, just incase anyone else doesn't know what I mean.

namejacking. (name * jac *ing) noun

1. To steal someones name.

jack = steal

I think you meant prevent name jacking not provide it. I think it would prolly stink if everyone could squat on names I might end up being called KungFuGrip8923837 or something. I just want a policy with the official servers where I can say someone is stealing lets say... [KFC]Unit's name and the jacker is booted. That is the topic. I want to avoid the subject of a name logon because it raises tech questions and gets us off topic.

Much like any anti cheating thread gets steered away from the subject by the technical problems involved with banning someone with dynamic ips.

Should proven namejackers (aka name stealers) be booted/banned from servers

thanks,

kfg

like i said, registering names to prevent people from stealing them would solve the problem, but it would also prevent new people from joining the mta community "i have to register to play, well never f#%king mind then!"

maybe a way of intigrating the irc nickserv with servers, and have that as an option for the server to enable/disable, that way, people aren't forced to register, but they can't use a pre-existing registered nick.

of course, this would consume bandwidth and cause lag spikes on the server every time someone joins.

I just want a policy with the official servers where I can say someone is stealing lets say... [KFC]Unit's name and the jacker is booted. That is the topic. I want to avoid the subject of a name logon because it raises tech questions and gets us off topic.

Much like any anti cheating thread gets steered away from the subject by the technical problems involved with banning someone with dynamic ips.

Should proven namejackers (aka name stealers) be booted/banned from servers

This is what I was afraid would happen. Please read my quote and address my topic. I know all the potential hassels and problems surrounding logons.

of course, this would consume bandwidth and cause lag spikes on the server every time someone joins.

no. doing that means that the logon account lists will be unique for each server. that means registering ur nick on one server wont protect u from lamers ruining ur reputation on an official server.

wat i meant was that we would need a GLOBAL server that hold all the accounts. that y we cant do this, that global server would need alot of bandwidth and would have to be up 24/7. i cant host that. any1 wanna give it a shot, be my guest

[sarcasm]Great job staying on topic[/sarcasm]

I was told last night that my name is being jacked because I started this topic. My name has been jacked all the time long before I started this topic. I have written a lot about cheating, so am I responsible for that too? I am a favorite target of crybaby cheaters that are mad because I report them and have them booted. I think that if more people who hated cheaters in the game would report more often and call them out in the game then I wouldn't stick out so bad. So I am glad to soak up the ill will of the mta cheaters for you and I don't appologize for my stance against cheating and namejacking.

Now that KFC has it's own server running I will spend more time in there safe from the cheaters and namejackers. If I know you and your are not a cheater pm or msn me for the password. It's a shame that protected and private servers are the only way to stay away from the lamers that would rather shit on my good name than create one themselves.

And to the cheaters and my imposters, I'm sorry

I am sorry that you are so much of a lamer that you have to cheat to win. I am sorry you were not held as a baby, that daddy didn't love you, that you don't have a social life or whatever else has caused you to try and ruin something that was given to you free for you enjoyment.

btw,

This topic was supposed to be about booting known name stealer not about password protection of names. I can't help it if you want to steer toward passwords but can you a least give me a y/n on this question?

Should name stealers be booted if it is proven that they are stealing the name?

The whole password thing is directly related to name stealing, its offering up ways to prevent name stealing. Going off topic would be something like, I like cake donuts with chocolate frosting on top, what about you? Duh.

btw,

This topic was supposed to be about booting known name stealer not about password protection of names. I can't help it if you want to steer toward passwords but can you a least give me a y/n on this question?

Should name stealers be booted if it is proven that they are stealing the name?

I believe thats why you put a poll on the thread.

0620.jpg

If my post offends you, forgive me, I took an extra dose of smartass today. :?

The whole password thing is directly related to name stealing, its offering up ways to prevent name stealing. Going off topic would be something like, I like cake donuts with chocolate frosting on top, what about you? Duh.

I believe thats why you put a poll on the thread.

I saw this one coming, I agree about the y/n but it is anonymous you can either just vote but if your gonna comment you could address the question, passwords address a way to prevent the problem, some day... I am talking about dealing with it now, so, I should have asked give an opinion about booting namejackers. OWNED? umm... sorry don't get that, you should have saved that picture for another occasion.

btw,

You can't go further off topic than talking about what would be going off topic.

:lol:

I did explain my vote too bad you too big of a retard to understand it magut. I give up I don't know why I thought I could have an intellegent debate there is always one dickhead that wants to come in and piss in the lemonade. I have made my point and well I might add. Your a fuck ing tool and this is your second post and noone knows how you feel about the topic you ass.

this is pointless, please go ahead and lock this