is high ping = cheating??

Guest borg42

is high ping = cheating?  

41 members have voted

1. 1. is high ping = cheating?

• yes
    • no

ok this is one debate that i dont see either side winning.

most people on 56k are that way because they cant afford a better connection, or dont live in the right area to get one. there is no way u can call 56krs cheaters etc when its not really theyre fault that they cant have access to the broadband that some others do.

yes i have heard of people creating "artificial lag" and have even seen a couple of familiar faces talking about it. i can say that when u have a higher ping, you do have an advantage. the only thing with 56k is that packet loss, and the fact that some of your shots dont send balances that out according to some people. but they are forgeting that the 56krs dont see the players shots, nor do the other players see theirs when this does happen.. with broadband however, someone with a high ping on a serv definently has an advantage. as its almost to easy to kill someone as they will never hit you.

now i have played from both ends, and i can say that 56k definently has the advantage however. as if you use the weapons in mta right, theres ways to compensate for your packet loss. i personally find 56krs annoying, and yet fun at the same time. its annoying to hit them head on with a molotov while they are standing still only to see theyre health not drop. its a challenge to kill them when you have to figure out exactly how much they are lagging. so you can start guessing where they are going to be. but nonetheless it is still a GUESS. there is no way to tell for sure where they are, as all they have to do is change directions and aiming ahead doesnt work.

heres what i see 56krs doing that annoys the hell outa me, and gives them a huge advantage.

they will get a stubby, and use the jump technique to go all around u, while only taking pot shots here and there. then when you fall they just shoot you asap and you will die. they are well within there rights to use this tactic, but it is unfair to broadband players as they have little hope of ever hitting them.

but all that aside. it is still wrong to ban people because of high ping. its not thier fault that they cant get a better connection, and they shouldnt hear shit because of it.

but at the same time you cannot deny that a 56kr has an advantage. play on comcast broadband, and then on a 56k line and you will see that you have a way easier time killing the others when you are on 56k.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In summary DeathB stands firmly on both sides of this issue.

56kers are not cheaters they have as many disadvantages to make up for the advantages. MrBump normally hovers around 300 or so ping and that is competitive but someone with an 800 ping? I just move on, my choice, I don't think they should be banned. Because it's a client side game it might be the only game they can play with smooth action on thier side, why rob them of that? I am normally at 50 ping sometimes in the 30's. Even someone like Deathb who is normally around 130 or 100 or so has an advantage. It's just like real life. No such thing as a fair fight just compensate for your disadvantages with your advantages.

Ok, I have said it all feel free to lock this now :lol::lol::lol:

• 2 months later...

wow, it's good that i found my old thread :)

Aphix: apologies accepted. i think it's okay to employ trainers but only as admins, cleary distinguishable, and only to remove (kill lameass cheater, get weapon, jump to ocean) miniguns and stuff. afaik there's a ping limiter script or whatever now so high ping should not be a problem anymore :)

It's not cheating in a traditional sense, but to me, it seems like "Unintentional Cheating". It's not really their fault, most of the time they don't even know they have the advantage.

I wouldn't accuse a high pinger of cheating, but I do get upset when a guy with 200+ ping kicks my ass, even though he's the worst player I've ever seen. The fact that YOU literally can't hit them doesn't mean they're good players.

So I wouldn't call them cheaters, I'd just call them a neusance. :roll:

• 2 weeks later...

i hate cheaters i been in loads of clans and i have 3 rules for myself

1 Honour

2 Respect

3 Justice

and cheaters dont have any honour at all so leave the game and let them play on there own thats what i do they aiunt worth the time

• 2 weeks later...

b. use a helicopter on him (kills cheaters as its an instant kill)

If he is a smart cheater he would change all of his heli stats to car stats so Heli blades are ineffective against him (from his client side) on your side if might chop him up, but no damage. On the otherhand, if he flies a firetruck for instance, then that means his stats for the firetruck have been changed to a heli for handling ID. :: Go after him with the fire truck of doom! hehehehe

It's not cheating in a traditional sense, but to me, it seems like "Unintentional Cheating". It's not really their fault, most of the time they don't even know they have the advantage.

I wouldn't accuse a high pinger of cheating, but I do get upset when a guy with 200+ ping kicks my ass, even though he's the worst player I've ever seen. The fact that YOU literally can't hit them doesn't mean they're good players.

So I wouldn't call them cheaters, I'd just call them a neusance. :roll:

first, i think mrbump brought it to a point !

We high-pingers have probs KILLING and GETTING killed !!! It has two sides. If it were the case (like you say) then i'd never be killed ...i WISH :) So..you must be wrong with your 'literally can't hit them' because we can definetly be hit ! (All the time....lol)

It's also a annoyance to me - i THINK i have a disadvantage shooting and also often getting desynced......i dont know how often i shoot and i dont see health reduced... and....the best thing is that everytime i kill someone i hear the same excuse about high ping etc....like my kills are rather coincedence and i wouldnt be able to shoot them if i had a lower ping etc...it would be very hard for you to prove that a high ping gives me an *advantage* in shooting :) As said...two sides....(and btw. if i could exchange my dial-up for cable right NOW i'd do it..but i have to wait a few months more :(

Edit:

If he kicks your ass, sorry, then he is NOT the worst player :)

You just echo the usual whining and complaints...again...high-pingers die and are being shot all the times ! And..yeah more than enough :)

I must always be the target of Lara's "lag" defenses. All because a few nights ago we had a lag problem. Lara, I don't have THAT much of a problem with lag that you have to try to rub something in my face everytime the word "lag" is brought up in a thread. :D

Anyway... It seems some laggers have no problem killing others, but on our side, it's near impossible to hit them. This doesn't include the spas or anything, but the m60/stubby. I could be shooting them for 10 minutes with the stubby, then they switch to a stubby, 1 shot, and they take me down. And no, it's not because I stand in one spot (lol).

But I'd say 75% of 'laggers' have just a hard time killing as we do killing them.

(Lara, I was mostly talking about foreigners with 56k. The kind that ping 200 to 300 but it's actually 10 times worse than that, it's more like a 900 ping. Someone in the US on a 56k with 200 ping isn't a problem.)

I've been noticing a lot of people recently who are not only on 56k, but some who simply have HORRIFIC pc specs, this almost makes it look as if they are cheating, 150 ping, and always can seem to hit you, but you can never hit them. Luckily the old molotov bug does a lot of them in...if it doesn't kill them it'll crash their pc hehe

oh, and alco, it's normally easier to kill them the old fashioned way with heli blades...take them by suprise, become a hero heh