is high ping = cheating??

Guest borg42

is high ping = cheating?  

41 members have voted

1. 1. is high ping = cheating?

• yes
    • no

i'm really curious about your opinion. i entered a game, fought hard, but just could not kill one guy. he was moving around kinda well, but my m40 got him down in the end, down to yellow. he went back to green (not as a navy guy, not around health spots), i continued hitting, he died on my client, rescurrected, died again, resurrected again. i got into a complaint, then he accused me of cheating (eh, i never did), later told me that since i had bad ping, he turned his cheat on, and killed me, as i was pissing him off. he said i was a cheater, because i had bad ping!! well, is really one's gameplay experience over honour? is it really a nonsense to ask someone to find a closer server, is it really okay to silently cheat agst him/her and still have the morals to show off with his having cheated? what do you think of the whole thing?

(ps. how i long for a version of mta that autokicks cheaters.. i'd accept a customisable ping limiter as well, 'though.)

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

no it is not acceptable to cheat under ANY CIRUMSTANCES. if someone on the server is cheating, then either

a. get an admin to kick him

b. use a helicopter on him (kills cheaters as its an instant kill)

c. just dodge him

d. switch servers

you asked for my opinion, and there it is :)

ooh, cool avater deathb, but i have 2 guns!

anyways, in my experience, if you have a ping that is drastically different from everyone elses, it makes sense to join a different server,. not just for them, but for you as well. no one wants an unfair adtvantage/disadvantage

cheating to try and attack a cheater is still cheating, and if i ever hear the words "i was only cheating to attack ___ because he wsa cheating!" i will vomit with rage

No, a high ping isn't cheating, it's just an unfair advantage to people with lower pings. I wouldn't worry too much about it, lag hits us all and there's no reason to stop and complain about it. Some people can't get better connections, but that doesn't mean they have no right to play MTA, eh?

Blue Zircon and ashdexx were the only ones above to answer the question

Deathb, one word for you, reading comprehension :lol:

Great question borg

1. No it's not cheating when it is just because you have 56k

2. If you artificially up your ping you are trying to cheat.

3. high pings have an advantage but it prolly comes with it's own drawbacks.

If someones ping is up in the 500s I just roll, why bother fighting him if he can take 5 hits with a stubby?

later

btw I know reading comprehension is two words it's called a joke, someone would point this out believe me.

"High" ping by itself is not bad (unless its over 400ms). High ping can be a sign of packet loss which is the real problem. Packet loss means not all of the downlink from the server is getting through to the other player. When you shoot, that information is sent to the server and to all players. If the other player misses the packet that says your shooting, he won't see you shoot, and no damage occurs. Weapon changes are also sent through the server. If the other player doesn't get the packet from when you changed weapons (say from a fist), even if he gets your shooting signal you will just be boxing on his computer. Aim and movement are also affected by packet loss.

This is the most common non-cheating problem with mta gameplay. Especially on servers with lots of users. With 26 users the downlink is ~20K/s or 200Kbit/s. Anyone on dialup will have significant packet loss. Internet/ISP congestion can make even broadband users have some packet loss.

It is also possible to intentionally induce packet loss, even while keeping ping low. I hope noone is doing that, especially since part of the fun of the game is watching the lead fly.

I'm sure the developers will trim the downlink bandwidth whenever practical. One idea would be to send updates less frequently for users that are far away from you. If you can't possibly be hit by a users weapons because they are far far away, why send that information to you?

I also don't need to know another players position to within millimeters when they are a mile away. The server should have access to the xyz coordinates of each player to use in selecting which info to send to each player and how often.

This is a retarded question. some people still don't even have cable available to them, and even if they do, some people aren't willing to hand out more money for it. Ping is just one of those things that most of the time its beyond the players control.

I don't agree. The reason it is a good question is because everyone with dialup or high ping are called cheaters. Unfairly.

This topic will help to explain your point to the people who don't know any better.

TheDev made a great point and a very informative post that would not have been if not for this poll. I don't like that TheDev points out a possible way to cheat, this will undoubtedly lead every cheater to find out how they can do that. I know they can find out anyway but it would be great if this forum didn't point them in the right direction.

Well, personally I guess only people that don't have a clue what ping and packet loss are will even see what you guys are trying to say. Sorry to sound cynical, but I lived in a town where we only could get 56k and lived with that for several years, then I moved out to go to college, got on a t1 network and now im to cable. So you see, thats why I responded the way I did. But I would disagree with the ping limiter and autokick though. For plenty of reasons your ping could spike up and if your in the midst of having a good score or in a nearly full server, you could get kicked, lose your score and your spot in the server. Ping usually is not within the control of the player, so thats why it is stupid to ask if its cheating. cheating is simply adding an advantage that makes it unfair for a certain person or group, which is clearly in the control of a player, where as ping, usually isn't.

:arrow: Rant done.

maybe as a custom server script , someone could make it so if a person's ping is drastically different from the average ping, that person would be warned/announced as a hpb/kicked.

i like the idea of the hpbs being announced as such, maybe that would cut out the cheater accusations. a lot of people are too lazy/ignorant to check the pings before accusing people.

something like

if player1 ping equels < average ping + 175 then kick/announce/warn player1

I never thought I'd see the day where people would call having high ping "cheating" :lol:

Personally, I find it makes no difference to me whether they have 'high' or 'low' ping. I think the main problem is 56k'ers joining servers with many people connected. I've watched my bandwidth meter as I play as I can tell you there is NO way 56k'ers can download the required amount of data to keep their games in sync with the rest of us. Hence you can't shoot them because their side is not registering your bombardment of updates telling them they're being shot.

Yes, Ping is still a part of the problem, but you can compensate for that. As for dropped Data...

EAT MY UPDATES SCUMBAG :wink:

i cant believe how intolerent some ppl are, you are all bitchin about how you couldnt kill this one person one times becuase he had a high ping

HOW DO YOU FUCKING THINK 56KERS FEEL WHEN TO KILL ANYONE THEY HAVE TO SPEND 5 FUCKING MINUTES CONSTANLY SHOOTING AT SOMEONE IN THE VAIN HOPE THAT ONE OF THEIR LAGGED PACKETS COLLIDES WITH THE OTHER PERSON

haha, this is getting amusing...im on 56k...

there is NO way 56k'ers can download the required amount of data to keep their games in sync with the rest of us. Hence you can't shoot them because their side is not registering your bombardment of updates telling them they're being shot.

i have the opposite problem. EVERYONE can seemingly kill me in 2 shots or less, regardless of the weapon, not only does my guy recieve the damage properly, i wonder if he isnt receiving too much! but my ping doesnt stop the bullets from hitting me.

HOW DO YOU :o THINK 56KERS FEEL WHEN TO KILL ANYONE THEY HAVE TO SPEND 5 :o MINUTES CONSTANLY SHOOTING AT SOMEONE IN THE VAIN HOPE THAT ONE OF THEIR LAGGED PACKETS COLLIDES WITH THE OTHER PERSON

I would have said it without all caps, but i agree with him. you guys think its an advantage, i have to fight twice as hard to kill somebody, im averaging 8 shots give or take, from the m4, before i kill somone, and thats if they barely move.

so, i have to fight harder to get kills, and i die easier than most...

if only i could afford broadband.

i just had 56k like a month and a half ago and made the switch to cable finally, back when i had 56k i would say that it is quite easier to kill with 56k because u can run around the person and shoot before they relize that you even moved....i could still die but it seemed easier to kill on a slower connection, but i def. like cable better cuz everything runs much smoother and u never get accused of lagging or anything like u do on 56k which every kill i got on that everyone would say didnt count cuz i was a "lagger" but oh well that's overwith..

when I was on 56k I still kicked :o ass, maybe you just suck. Ever think of that? :?

i thought about it. thats why i had a couple friends play on my pc too. its the modem. we do great until the server starts getting full. sadly i like playing with 20+ people for true anarchy. this is not a good combo.

@ ponch, yea my college has either t1 or t3's and most of my friends have cable. i know what im missing :(

high ping and low ping are just another factor in the game, uh.. like a different class almost, yeah, the high ping doging and the low ping being able to dl pr0n faster, it has its ups and downs but if someons ever like

you have high ping you cheater CHEAT CHEAT CHEATITY CHEAT!

you just go rihght up to that guy and kil him, and then run away real fast and then he'll be like

why did I just did? no one was here

BUT YOYU WERE! your high ping disgused you as NOTHING! ignenouse eh?

.... yeah well the moral of this post is that you shoukldn't use drugs

and that high pings are cool....

because it gives me people to laugh at BHAHAHAHA!!

Edited by Guest