TAG : Motocross Madness style (stunt servers)

Guest kEnder

TAG : Motocross Madness style (stunt servers)

If anyone has played multiplayer MCM2 before then you know how awesome this gameplay mode is. I know some variations of tag have been suggested for DM, but I always feel stunt servers lack motivation for a race. I have already tried it informally on a few servers and everyone thought it was a blast. Nobody is forced to play, but it adds a nice mulitplayer element to stunt servers. It also does away with the "where do we start the race?" and "where do we race to?" questions.

----The game----

One person is "IT" (in MCM2 you had a beach ball), everyone else chases after you until you get touched (in MCM2 you could also fall off and loose the beach ball). This is also a lot like tribes rabbit mod, with more focus on driving skills than running.

----------------

Adding this mode to DM would be a mistake, as weapons would detract from a race (cops and robbers sounds more fun as DM anyway). This shouldn't change stunt servers dramatically, if one wants to join in on the chase, just chase the marked car, otherwise do stunts with your friends. In fact stunt and tag tend to complement each others shortcomings according to the number of people on the server. I also tend to find stunt servers are less populated with lamers due to the lack of any need to kill someone. I do not believe limiting "IT" to a special vehicle would benefit the gameplay.

As far as scores/hog timers/balancing I have some ideas how it could work, but aren't necessarily needed. I'll leave the details to someone else. All I am asking right now is an easy way to organize this in the game (built in). Try it now even, just go on to a server and say you want to play tag, its fun!

Disclaimer: I have already searched the forum for "TAG" suggestions, this seems to be the first one of its kind. This suggestion should be unique enough anyway so please give it some consideration.

• 3 weeks later...

Informal game modes are always a lot more fun than scripted ones, that's why I've always been so keen on the stunt server mode being so free. Even in the more strict "street racing" mode I want to be introduced, I wouldn't want to force the way people decide to race by using a set number of laps or set locations. Just leaving those abstract decisions for folks to arrange via the chat window is always going to suit more people than coding something that HAS to be used, imho. 8)

• 2 weeks later...
Just leaving those abstract decisions for folks to arrange via the chat window is always going to suit more people than coding something that HAS to be used, imho.

true, I guess what I'm asking is for something to put you on the map, maybe steal an object (the beach ball? a safe? a car?). Just something to show people who to chase.