newbie questions

Guest borg42

sorry, read the guide, read the faq, searched the forum, but for a ~0km newbie, some things are still not clear.

1) i cannot tell if something is cheating or a prg issue. if there are unambiguous cases amongst these below, please state it.

- opponent moves around while shot, health drops, but it's suddenly seems to be back at 100% again

- opponent does not lose health when shot massively

- opponent gets killed, i can get his weapons, but suddenly he's resurrected at 100% health and shoots me down

- an ally drives into the water with a vehicle and does not sink/die.

actually, what are the signs of cheating?

2) dummy noobie questions.

- is there some ammo hidden somewhere at the team respawning point as well? or is it just the health?

- is there armor anywhere? (how do cops get armor?)

- when an opponent is shot down, but moves around on the ground, what's happening? where to point when shooting the enemy in this state?

- objects (vehicles, players) sometimes get lifted. is this the handling of the lag? does this happen when i see the map, go to the menu or change the task? is the player vulnerable in this state?

- practically, what is considered fair/unfair? eg.: going into the respawning area / waiting outside shooting the ones coming out / a group fight is being held and one logs in using an other character class and suddenly takes part in the action / .. ?

- is it really considered "chickening" when one (erm.. me :)) does not follow the enemy with the current slow vehicle, but wants to get the faster one just some 10 secs away? happened to me :)

- is there a "viewer"/"ghost" mode, to watch the fight? or is it some okay to log in as an other character class and hang around?

3) technical stuff: i use v1.0, and the special keys (f9..f11, t, vehicle location) do not work. however, when zooming with a gun (ins), a lot of objects (vehicles??) appear. the keyb layout is not all that changed, i can enter a car as passenger with the home key, but cannot use it for vehicle location. is it the v1.0? is it some key mapping issue? or is it just me? :)

thanks for clearing things up :)

edited: things told by others in the meantime.

Ok.

First of all most of your questions ARE answered in the MTA documentation. But , I try to answer some of the other stuff for you...

1) i cannot tell if something is cheating or a prg issue. if there are unambiguous cases amongst these below, please state it.

- opponent moves around while shot, health drops, but it's suddenly seems to be back at 100% again

- opponent does not lose health when shot massively

- opponent gets killed, i can get his weapons, but suddenly he's resurrected at 100% health and shoots me down

- an ally drives into the water with a vehicle and does not sink/die.

actually, what are the signs of cheating?

People getting back their health and dropping weapons at funny times etc is most likely the game going out of sync with each other (seach for sync)

as for the cars in the water...That's cheating. Well it's a map mod where some people change the map on their side so try can go and do stupid things.

2) dummy noobie questions.

- is there some ammo hidden somewhere at the team respawning point as well? or is it just the health?

- is there armor anywhere? (how do cops get armor?)

- when an opponent is shot down, but moves around on the ground, what's happening? where to point when shooting the enemy in this state?

- objects (vehicles, players) sometimes get lifted. is this the handling of the lag? does this happen when i see the map, go to the menu or change the task? is the player vulnerable in this state?

- practically, what is considered fair/unfair? eg.: going into the respawning area / waiting outside shooting the ones coming out / a group fight is being held and one logs in using an other character class and suddenly takes part in the action / .. ?

- is it really considered "chickening" when one (erm.. me ) does not follow the enemy with the current slow vehicle, but wants to get the faster one just some 10 secs away? happened to me

- is there a "viewer"/"ghost" mode, to watch the fight? or is it some okay to log in as an other character class and hang around?

Search the forums for the maps. There are maps showing you the locations of all the weapons etc. ghost mode = VC built in replay mode. But there is NO spectator mode.

3) technical stuff: i use v1.0, and the special keys (f9..f11, t, vehicle location) do not work. however, when zooming with a gun (ins), a lot of objects (vehicles??) appear. the keyb layout is not all that changed, i can enter a car as passenger with the home key, but cannot use it for vehicle location. is it the v1.0? is it some key mapping issue? or is it just me?

Update to 1.1

1.1 is a useless update. There is no fixes at all and people who mention it are a bunch of morons since the graphical glitches have been fixed by the latest nvidia drivers.

You have to edit the config.cfg file in your vice city directory. Go into it and paste the following:

bind F11 showscores
bind F10 showplayers
bind t say
bind F9 showchat
bind F12 screenshot

And holding down the right click button while on foot shows the location of all cars.

You have to edit the config.cfg file in your vice city directory. Go into it and paste the following:

bind F11 showscores
bind F10 showplayers
bind t say
bind F9 showchat
bind F12 screenshot

And holding down the right click button while on foot shows the location of all cars.

thanks, i'll try that. btw i tried the rightclick on foot, but did not help. users advised reinstalling mta btw, i'll try that one too if all else fails.