Is MTA legal? (DDoS attacks)

bartje01

Question

16 answers to this question

Hey everyone. I wanted to know if MTA is legal. I'm home hosting a server and I'm getting DDoS attacks from a certain person lately. I'm not sure if I can do anything against it since I don't know if having a home host MTA server is legal.

It's legal but some people ddos you (Like Multi Theft Auto RP) idk how , you must do a ddos protection

Your question is quite unclear. MTA itself is perfectly legal, it merely modifies the game (GTA SA) to allow multiplayer networking. However, (D)DoS is illegal in most nation-states. I'm sure there are a few exceptions where there is a lack of Internet/computer laws.

I like how the first Google result for Ddos Protection is "DDoS Protection | Anti DDoS Attack, Get Protected for $299/month".

Are you behind a router? Some routers like Sitecom come with a variety of options against these kinds of attacks

DoS.jpg

Also you could find out their IP and then block it (assuming it's just some dickwad script kiddo), but all of these things are very router specific.

I believe the only real way to mitigate against DDOS attacks is to make sure you've got a lot of bandwidth, that your router can handle as much data as the DDOSer can throw at it and that it can detect and throw away DDOS packets. This isn't easy, and I doubt any home systems are able to do a good job at this. Even the best professional hosting finds it hard - it has to be taught which packets are part of the DDOS (e.g. filtering by country, or some other fingerprint).

D'oh. http://www.peerblock.com/

PeerBlock lets you control who your computer "talks to" on the Internet. By selecting appropriate lists of "known bad" computers, you can block communication with advertising or spyware oriented servers, computers monitoring your p2p activities, computers which have been "hacked", even entire countries! They can't get in to your computer, and your computer won't try to send them anything either.

And best of all, it's free!

Then I wonder, how do DDoS packages route to your personal system? Do they just get broadcast? Or does the router fail completely? In the last case Peerblock wouldn't be effective.

Regarding this subject, I read the following article with great interest: Configure your router to block DOS attempts

Also are there a lot more attacks going on? Because some student college of mine is complaining that his open source project website is being attacked also. Is this what the Mayans predicted?

Ever since it was discovered, and somewhat simple to do. Kids will try and get back at owners and moderators by Attacking them.

It being one of the only ways to attack a server (the Amateur way) i wouldn't be surprised if it was the first thing found on google "How to stop a server" or something of the sort. Peerblock was a good find, if it works i suggest anyone use it until ISP's can figure something out about this. (If they can, my Degree isn't in Networking. However, any protection is better then none)

I believe the only real way to mitigate against DDOS attacks is to make sure you've got a lot of bandwidth, that your router can handle as much data as the DDOSer can throw at it and that it can detect and throw away DDOS packets. This isn't easy, and I doubt any home systems are able to do a good job at this. Even the best professional hosting finds it hard - it has to be taught which packets are part of the DDOS (e.g. filtering by country, or some other fingerprint).

For home systems it isnt just hard, I think it's impossible. And about hosters, they may a better chance but if someone wants your server down, they will get it down, with help from there kid friends for example...

It is just wrong to do something like this and immature to use on a game. But as long as it's available people will use it...