Suggestion for MTA server accounts feature

Guest keffa

Hey folks,

I don't know whether this has been mentioned before but wouldn't it be a very cool feature to have server accounts?

Most of us on the All Seeing Eye learn to recognise our regulars that come on, I know there are lots of regular players on my server. However names are very generic, two people can choose the same name and so on.

I think it would be great if players where given the option to register accounts on the server. This would allow them to reserve their name so when a person joins, you can be sure that person is your buddy and not someone who has a similar or same name.

Not only this, but this would increase the relevance of the stats. You could now track individual players kills, deaths, best stunts, etc, etc, without worrying about the data being accurate because of the name issue.

And if the account data was held in an interchangable format, such as a CSV (Comma Seperated Version) or SQL database, this data could then be combined with other mediums. Those competent in web development could set up applications that allowed you to sign up an account for a server over the web, and/or modify your account details, have profiles that showed your name and kill ratio, favourite car and weapon, etc, etc.

Admins would also need the power to either switch this feature off, make it optional (While still blocking players from using a name thats already registered), or make it required before you can play. Making it required would probably be better for clan servers and keep it optional for public ones as I wouldnt want to have to sign up for an account every time I hopped a server on the All Seeing Eye!

Admins could also use the contact information collected with the accounts to say send newsletters to all the members telling them about special server games (Defend the bank, etc) that are coming up, if the server is going to have any downtime in the future and so on.

And I can see this helping towards the cheating problem somewhat. Maybe only a very small amount but some anyway.

And depending on what Blokker and the crew have got planned for the future, maybe these accounts could be tied to the game somehow. When you register for an account, you could set a default character skin (Like mexican or sailor), set your choice of three default weapons, choose which side you want to be on by default, and other things like this. And if its tied to some kind of interchangable data format as described above, you could set up and/or alter your account from a computer that doesnt have MTA installed by doing it over the web or something, and when you actually get into a computer with the game, you don't need to set anything, you go straight into the game! :)

Waddya think folks?

Keffa

Big deal. Play a shit game like CS for instance, and you can use whatever name you want.

So what someone steals your name? Use something else. Name theft isn't all that common, and even when it happens, there are numerous other titles you can use for yourself.

Why are you talking about specifics of an implementation? You have "suggestion" in your topic when the body consists of "application." I dont see anyone applying methods who'd need a walkthrough.

I really think implementing an idea like this would be utter stupidity and would ruin the "jump in and have fun, who cares about a fucking name" game we all know as MTA:VC.

I really think implementing an idea like this would be utter stupidity and would ruin the "jump in and have fun, who cares about a :o name" game we all know as MTA:VC.

The same kind of people who care about their ranking in this forum and go to great lengths to have fancy avatars and signatures.

It's about creating a server community and personlizing the game. And note that I said it would have to be an optional thing, just like the NICKSERV and CHANSERV features are on some IRC servers. You don't have to use them unless the server admin sets it so, nor would you have to use this unless the admin set it explicitly.

I believe there are far more benefits to having this feature than I actually listed (The post was long enough!).

Keffa

What can I say, with all the players in MTA, the server wouldn't hold all of the players names stats or whatever. MTA makes NO MONEY as something like Ghost Recon made by Ubi Soft has millions of dollars which they can afford a server to hold every player and account there is. MTA would most likely need 2-7 servers just to hold the accounts for MTA if we would require them to register names before they can play.

What can I say, with all the players in MTA, the server wouldn't hold all of the players names stats or whatever. MTA makes NO MONEY as something like Ghost Recon made by Ubi Soft has millions of dollars which they can afford a server to hold every player and account there is. MTA would most likely need 2-7 servers just to hold the accounts for MTA if we would require them to register names before they can play.

No you don't understand, it would be your server that holds the account data, there wouldn't need to be any central servers or anything. Just like it is your server that records your server stats.

Although that is a great idea. Data pooling. Check out the world ranking of the players of the server you are about to join! :-)

Keffa

No you don't understand, it would be your server that holds the account data, there wouldn't need to be any central servers or anything. Just like it is your server that records your server stats.

Although that is a great idea. Data pooling. Check out the world ranking of the players of the server you are about to join! :-)

Keffa

How safe would our passwords be on their server?

having accounts all to a single server would work if MTA had the funds to run it, and would also work to a single server, but you would have to get a new ranking on each server etc. Unfortunantly MTA is not blizzard, we cannot run/support our own Battlenet =) good ideas though