server beefs!!

Guest kw_maher

im trying to set up a (semi-private) server..

i have edited the config file to how i want, and am not using ase. the string in the cfig file that has the game ip is currently #'d off, cos it wont work with it.

i have forwarded ports 2003 2004 2123 and 2126 (although im not using ase) but others dont seem to be able to connect..

the ip i provide them with is the router ip (wan ip) and have tried port forwarding with both tcp and udp..

people still cant connect, and i have no idea why..

am i doin sometheng fundementally wrong?

hmm, thats the ip i gave them.. my router calls the ip "wan ip", which is obviously the ip my isp provide.. which goes to my router.

then the internal ip (lan ip) is that that my router uses to communicate to the rest of the network..

so i gave out the router ip (the one from isp), then my port forwarding routs the info to my internal (lan) ip of my server machine..

what i gave out is definately the same as i got when i clicked on your above link.. i use this http://www.ed-phys.fr/htbin/ipaddress which gives the same results, and is the same as the ip no im my router setup utility..

there must be something else. i dont undertsand why it doesnt work.. my medal of honor server is perfect! :(

I don't think Im as good as you in networking, but did u try simply to give your clients your router IP (it must have a public one) ?

If no, just try, maybe the router can translate the clients on the right IP and so on on your server....

What error do they get ? "no server @ this address" ?

and try just one more stupid thing, open all the ports (just 1 minute dont panic ;) ) and let a client try connect...just to see if it really is a IP prob or a port prob.

Sorry if it don't help :(

I don't think Im as good as you in networking, but did u try simply to give your clients your router IP (it must have a public one) ?

If no, just try, maybe the router can translate the clients on the right IP and so on on your server....

this is what i did my friend. the ip i give to my clients basically sends their information to my router, which then routs that information to the appropriate machine (using the internal ip) on my lan, via port forwarding.

i have not tried opening all ports because the information will get lost, because it will not know where to go (no port forwarding). besides, i think i can only have 20 entries in the port forwarding.

maybe i'll try enabling dmz to the server machine. im not too sure how this works tbh; so if anyone could shed some light on that, it would be greatly appreciated.

other than that, i have absolutely no idea what the problem is..

oh, the clients unable to connect are reporting a timeout. im not sure if it would give an eror message "no server @ this address" or similar, Delux.

im stuck :(

--------------

Kevin

well as far as understand, forwarding the ports in "virtual server" opens them so a certain (internal) ip.. this works fine with my mohaas server.

i cant find anything else that enables me to open ports in my router setup interface. (i have an origo/conexant ASR-8400).

anyone think of anything it could be?

thanks

Kevin

there could be one prblem. your ports are closed.

i am able to connect to the server on my lan, wouldnt this indicate that the ports are open, as i need to specify port to determine which game i enter - or will it always work regardless of the router/port situation on an internal network?

or will it always work regardless of the router/port situation on an internal network?

Bingo.

I suggest you check through and make sure you're not trying to forward the same port twice. Make sure they're set for ingoing and outgoing UDP traffic, and if they're even enabled.

woot woot woot!!!

working now! cheers everyone. and cheers mr outback for finding the "beef"..

i had the forwarding set to tcp, not udp. i think at first i had it like this, but dd something else wrong, then changed it to tcp, then both, etc etc, so lost track of what i had changed in the end..

well, it sorted it straigh away changing that, i cant believei didnt notice.. all my mohaas ports (sorry to keep referring to my other game server!) are udp, so the tcp stuck out like a sore thumb in reality!

:D