RPG vs Roleplay

Callum

Which do you prefer, RPG or Roleplay?  

57 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you prefer, RPG or Roleplay?

• RPG
    • Roleplay

Question

So, over the last few years the most common gamemodes by far have been RPG and Roleplay. Though some may argue they are "the same thing", I would describe RPG as a deathmatching arena, and Roleplay as bureaucracy at it's tightest.

Which do you prefer to play, and why? If you don't like either gamemode genre, then simply do not reply or vote.

I notice that dozens of new Roleplay servers open daily, but barely any of them actually make it anywhere. Whereas RPG servers are ever so slightly less common, and more inclined to become a success - however, it could be argued that this is because it is a lot easier for "noobs" to gain access to RPG servers.

It's true people prefer to "relax" more (drive a car wrecklessly or flame other players, in most cases), but then when they actually setup a RP, it's always ruined by people that just want to do whatever the hell they want.

So, over the last few years the most common gamemodes by far have been RPG and Roleplay.

I think Freeroam (sometimes called Real Cars or ~~~HajwalaH~~~) and Race (sometimes called DM/DD) are far more popular than Roleplay.

But still beetween those 2 i prefer RPG. Its more easy :D

I don't like RPG; it's.. erm.. kind of Freeroam. Freeroam is nice, but don't try to scramble it with Roleplay.

Roleplay is awesome, it's like you are a new citizen in a city in San Andreas state (Some servers changes it name to "California" as in real life), you have to reach skills in that city, get a job, buy a house, buy some cars, be in a faction, become somebody probably famous by legal terms, or illegal. It's awesome, and it's also better in Multi Theft Auto.

Multi Theft Auto Roleplaying servers are better than in SA:MP, and they are complety different to Garry's Mode Roleplaying servers.

Vote for Roleplay!

RP = Role Play.

RPG = Role Play Game.

Where difference?

A RolePlay server focuses on people actually roleplaying, meaning acting out a character and describing what they do using actions/emotes, these being shown through the /me command.

An RPG is something TOTALLY different in the world of MTA. While you still act out something, it's maybe just a role. You don't take care to keep everything realistic, and you just do what-ever the hell you want really. The nametags that are visible above someone's head, in a roleplay gamemode you wouldn't be able to just know someone's name by their nametags, as roleplay gamemodes are there to mimic real life. In an RPG gamemode, you can freely call someone by their nametag. The discrepancies are a lot, and they are big, but I won't explain all of them.

I prefer RolePlay, as you can actually do a lot of things without having to rely on the script, unlike RPG. I also enjoy games that mimic Real Life.

Sadly, most RP server owners are 15-25 yr olds who can barely type in English. Sure, some of them are good at English, but most of them are powerhungry, so they will just make another server instead of being swallowed by other servers in order for those servers to live. For example, server A has 12 players, server B has 3. Server B will die out soon. Instead of making everyone go to server A in order for server B to survive, server B changes its name and makes another MTASA forum post, and finally gives up after 5-10 tries. Server A now has 5 players. With the server B players, server A might have survived, but that's just an example of how people care more about their admin rank than about fun.

A RolePlay server focuses on people actually roleplaying, meaning acting out a character and describing what they do using actions/emotes, these being shown through the /me command.

An RPG is something TOTALLY different in the world of MTA. While you still act out something, it's maybe just a role. You don't take care to keep everything realistic, and you just do what-ever the hell you want really. The nametags that are visible above someone's head, in a roleplay gamemode you wouldn't be able to just know someone's name by their nametags, as roleplay gamemodes are there to mimic real life. In an RPG gamemode, you can freely call someone by their nametag. The discrepancies are a lot, and they are big, but I won't explain all of them.

I prefer RolePlay, as you can actually do a lot of things without having to rely on the script, unlike RPG. I also enjoy games that mimic Real Life.

Sadly, most RP server owners are 15-25 yr olds who can barely type in English. Sure, some of them are good at English, but most of them are powerhungry, so they will just make another server instead of being swallowed by other servers in order for those servers to live. For example, server A has 12 players, server B has 3. Server B will die out soon. Instead of making everyone go to server A in order for server B to survive, server B changes its name and makes another MTASA forum post, and finally gives up after 5-10 tries. Server A now has 5 players. With the server B players, server A might have survived, but that's just an example of how people care more about their admin rank than about fun.

And this is why almost all RP servers fail...

Personally, I don't like RP at all btw, I mean, if you want to play like real life, why not just go outside?

Roleplay is nice, unless creator works more on writing rules instead of scripting. Unfortunately, that's the only way I've ever seen done. If players get hit by cars or shot, they must act as if they're injured. Why not to script that, like increasing weapon damage and enabling walking control state for players to make them move slowly? If they crash into the wall while driving, why do they have to simulate the accident instead of script reducing their health and turning off the engine of the car, so that it couldn't be driven? If it can be scripted, why should the players do that?

And this is why almost all RP servers fail...

Personally, I don't like RP at all btw, I mean, if you want to play like real life, why not just go outside?

Okay, go outside and become an italian mafioso, or a high ranked police officer...or a fricking Russian mobster, but that's not how it works, is it? RP lets you be someone else for hours of fun.

Hey, I played almost my whole GTA SA time roleplay but its not anymore what it was.

Only now on the RP servers they come on with two reasons:

1. High rank in Law

2. Admin

Thats only what they want.. But they can't RP.

Its just ... Power hungry :)

That usually happens on the "big" servers like Root, or the servers owned by scammers such as Matthew Ello(aka MTA Roleplay).

Okay, go outside and become an italian mafioso, or a high ranked police officer...or a fricking Russian mobster, but that's not how it works, is it? RP lets you be someone else for hours of fun.

Why wouldn't this be possible? They do exist in real life, don't they? In fact, they're very real and common.

Both gamemodes sucks. I enjoyed them in the beginning but not anymore, I grew tired off them.

It's an interesting topic. I've always felt RP felt too little like playing a game and too much like playing with kids - imagining things rather than the game presenting you with choices. I guess it appeals to the younger audience's sense of imagination...maybe?

Either way, most of the RP community hide away in their own server communities and don't visit here. I would expect this poll to be more representative of the type of people that browse this forum rather than the type who play MTA (if that makes any sense).

Either way, most of the RP community hide away in their own server communities and don't visit here. I would expect this poll to be more representative of the type of people that browse this forum rather than the type who play MTA (if that makes any sense).

Most people actually belong or did belong to a roleplay community here, including me. But we (people whom belong to roleplay communities) have also used valhalla scripts ( as mentioned before this post ) but all we do is complain about others when we're not different from them in our early days as server owners and/or staff.

The roleplay community is rather hypocritical in my eyes.

Atleast the RPG community has some unspoken rules and standards, though it's as hypocritical as the roleplay community and a lot more offensive and hostile (judging from those who I've talked to)

Therefore as I said in the previous post, I grew tired of both gamemodes, I'm sure a lot others has too.

Why wouldn't this be possible? They do exist in real life, don't they? In fact, they're very real and common.

Both gamemodes sucks. I enjoyed them in the beginning but not anymore, I grew tired off them.

They exist, but that doesn't mean you can become one. Can you become Italian? Can you become American at the flick of a button? Romanian, Spanish, Brazilian? No, you can't. Can you join a Yakuza in real life, right here right now? No, you can't. Can you kill the, let's say, president in real life, got arrested for life then you just made yourself a new life, as a totally different 'character'?

Before stating that something "sucks", try and at least use proper grammar. Also, give some, I don't know, facts that make you dislike the gamemodes?