NEW MTA Script Editor - Progress update

robhol

Question

So I've been working on this little thing for a while now. I wanted to write my own MTA script editor - this started out as an experiment to see if I could get a decent autocomplete system up and running. As it turns out, I could. I've also managed to implement a rather neat guide for the MTA functions - the idea is that you won't have to alt-tab to the wiki just to check function arguments all the time. Instead, you can just start typing, and the program happily steps in to offer you a helping hand.

Current features (click for screenshots)

And of course, the "obvious" stuff for a text editor.

These are just a few of the features I've planned, there's more on the way. :)

Want to help?

If you know C# (preferably with a bit of experience with WPF) and would like to help, that'd be great. I might also need a few testers - the project is currently considered 'pre-alpha', but I plan to have closed alpha tests and a public beta. If you're interested, PM me or post here, but be aware that we're "not quite there yet".

I also don't have entirely reliable data on the MTA functions - before starting on the editor proper, I wrote a small-ish program to get function data off the wiki. Unfortunately, the wiki is not too consistently formatted, and this makes automatic scraping a bit difficult. If you want to help fill in missing data, I'd really appreciate it.

Edit: function data has been graciously provided by Cadu12, thanks!

Questions, ideas, suggestions

Post away! :D

• Like 1

Even though I'm not really a full-time scripter (Due to the lack of knowledge), An up to date MTA script editor would be great seeing as the old one is pretty much useless now with all the new stuff going on.

If this would work just as easily as Notepad++ with ofcourse the extra features that you offer, and it would be kept up to date, I'd definetly use it, and I think many others would use it too.

Good luck with the project :)

It's almost stagnant, as 50p has very little time for it. I could post several pages on exactly why I'm not contributing to the old one, but that's off-topic here.

By the way, getting function data up and running is kind of a priority, so if anybody wants to help me with gathering some data, please contact me. I have another idea for an automatic scraping system that I want to try, but as I said, the wiki isn't really consistent enough to make it simple.

Yeah. Any day/month now it'll be official MTA script editor.

..When in my lifetime is that?

I vote for the jack rabbit. I'm not sure if the turtle has time, or if the turtle is a turtle.

I could post several pages on exactly why I'm not contributing to the old one, but that's off-topic here.

The word "Design" would simplify it.

Great, I think the best size is the size of that of within Notepad++ -

I think that's 4/5 spaces in Notepad++ .

First of all, what does that even mean? Second, Notepad++' tab size is not exactly of staggering importance to me - please stick to the topic.

Although I guess that if someone complains and it's about 6px higher tabs than another editor, that's kind of a good sign. :mrgreen:

Seems great so far. All i ever wanted from a script editor was native resource support (resources are displayed as projects), .zip support, and Visual Studio style function suggestions, and not too much bloat to make the whole thing cave in on itself - it's a script editor, not iTunes 10.

I'm glad that finally, we have VS style function suggestions, and it looks fairly lean. I've been meaning to add a real C# project to my portfolio - i may be interested in contributing.

Due to qais' nagging, I've decided on not making this open source. Bwahahahaha, etc.

The editor is currently not very far from a testable alpha - the testers will be hand-picked by me, and I haven't really decided on anyone yet - except for Cadu12, who has been a huge help and provided the function data that's being used in the editor.

Development has slowed a bit and I've been unsure at times if I'm going to carry on, but time will show.