A small program I wrote, that may be useful for you

Gadfly

There was some talk here about auto enabling F10 the other day. I have written a small program for myself and a friend that does a few things. It monitors the state of your game and if it crashes, it auto closed all the error messages and restarts the game for you. It also monitors if you time out and tries to reconnect. Lastly when it does start the game, it auto enables F10.

Wartech was very nice and offered to host the file for me, so people can download it. Let me know if it is useful to you. It is beta and I will be continuing to work on it.

Gadfly

The file is here

:arrow: mtavcr2.zip

i just tried this program and it is awesome! thanks Gadfly.

i don't have the same key conflicts as True (here we go again with True's controls...hehe), but i had another suggestion: how about making the auto-F10 and the auto-reconnect/restart seperate toggle-able options? I LOVE the auto-F10, but I'm not sure if I'm going to like the auto-reconnect/restart (for various reasons). Maybe you could just have a simple on/off option for each feature? Just a suggestion, otherwise I love it. Keep up the good work!

(why do i feel like this thread is going to get trashed along with Gadfly's program?)

i just tried this program and it is awesome! thanks Gadfly.

i don't have the same key conflicts as True (here we go again with True's controls...hehe), but i had another suggestion: how about making the auto-F10 and the auto-reconnect/restart seperate toggle-able options? I LOVE the auto-F10, but I'm not sure if I'm going to like the auto-reconnect/restart (for various reasons). Maybe you could just have a simple on/off option for each feature? Just a suggestion, otherwise I love it. Keep up the good work!

(why do i feel like this thread is going to get trashed along with Gadfly's program?)

Yeah I can set it up so people can set their own keys. I originally just wrote this for a friend and me, so I hardcoded values that worked for us. A few people ingame asked me to make it available for them so I posted it here. I will work on setting various toggles etc too.

Yeah I can set it up so people can set their own keys. I originally just wrote this for a friend and me, so I hardcoded values that worked for us.

Yes, I read that and understood that... which is why I asked if you could before re-releasing :) Hopefully next version will have this stuff taken care of though.

Let me ask you - pressing F10 right when launching the executable (say, during loading screen) will enable nametags, or no? Maybe I will have to figure it out myself... :)

I am just about making my own solutions - though the idea of checking the process to see if it has that unhandled exception window is a good idea, should you not mind me borrowing it :P

Or, I can be lazy and use what you produce :P

For the record, I use my numpad for helecopter flying - up and down are "f" and "v" respectively, whereas turning and some of my MTA-specific binds are located on the numpad. :-D I know, weird.....

Yeah, it should not be to hard to add a keybinding text file where you can set the keys to any numberic., function or alpha keys. One thing I have been adding is having it navigate the menus so it will take you right to the player selection window whenever it restarts. It is a bit hard for me to test everything as I dont have any decent gaming machines running XP. I have to get a friend to test my changes when he has free time. If anyone is willing to test Ultra Alpha versions that may not work at all but have the latest features, let me know. There are definately a few differences between 2k and XP.

It is really good idea, but it messed up my map and chat also. Not to mention that when the game did freeze with the execption error, the restarter seemed to start the game but not through the client. So, after the restarter handeled everything and got me back in VC, if I Alt+Tab out, the START GAME button was not engaged, so i have to quit current game and start another using start game button in client.

It is really good idea, but it messed up my map and chat also. Not to mention that when the game did freeze with the execption error, the restarter seemed to start the game but not through the client. So, after the restarter handeled everything and got me back in VC, if I Alt+Tab out, the START GAME button was not engaged, so i have to quit current game and start another using start game button in client.

It actually does restart the game by clicking on the mta client start game button. I know what you are talking about though. I get that about 1/10 or so crashes. It does not show the other players on the map, and you can see them chat, but you cannot chat. If you quit, and let it the restarter restart the game, it will be ok again. And it should not be happening often, for me its like 1 in 10 times or so that it restarts like that.

Yeah it also does not disable the restart button as well. I think the issue is that the program might be clicking the restart button to quick after the crash and for some reason the mta vc client program is restarting VC only partially. It did not appear to be doing this when I was scanning for crashes less often, before I only checked once a second. And now its every 300 milliseconds.

I will bump it back to once every second on my next build. Was it doing this to you every time? Or did it just happen on the first time and you just turned it off after that? It seems to be working ok for most people. And if it does that just try quiting the game and letting the restarter restart it again.

I am willing to help you, hell, even help code little features in the thing should you wish for help (or, more appropriately, should users wish for help :P)... look at my rig, its definately good for gaming, but that shouldn't be the primary aim - not everyone has a machine like mine (but then again, some people have better than what I have).

This looks like VB work, if I am not mistaken? I smell a RAT... :/

Yes. It happens every time for me (5/5). When the game crashes with exception error the restarter restarts everything nice and quick. However when the game starts back up I must disable the restarter, end the game then start another game using Start Game button in the client, then restart the restarter.

The issue with the map seems to be random (2/5).

And the issue with the chat happens every time (I can see chatting going on, but when I try to type i gets deleted right away).

I also noticed that the Start game button in the client clicks about 4 times a second when using the restarter.

Specs:

ASUS A7Pro

AMD Athlon 1000Mhz

256mb SDRAM

32mb Radeon 7000/VE

Windows XP Professional

Game not cracked.

No mods installed.

*Whenever I play MTA 0.2 normally and I crash, it takes a really long time for windows to close VC and bring me back to my desktop. Is this because windows or VC is creating some sort of log or something?

If so, can I tell it not to so it doesn't take such a long time to return to my desktop?

I edited this post about 4 times.

Edited by Guest

Hmm,

I will have to work on this a bit over the weekend. And try to find out why this bug affects some, but not others. There are different ways to simulate mouse clicks so I may try a couple different ways. I may just rewrite it from scratch.

Thanks for the bug info.

Gadfly

*Whenever I play MTA 0.2 normally and I crash, it takes a really long time for windows to close VC and bring me back to my desktop. Is this because windows or VC is creating some sort of log or something?

If so, can I tell it not to so it doesn't take such a long time to return to my desktop?

Hmm,

By this do you mean that without the trainer it takes a long time to go back to the desktop? I ask because my game does that occassionally, and like I said I occassionally have that chatbug/mapbug and it is always on the occasion when it takes a long time for MTA to close.

If by "Trainer" you mean the restarter program, yes. When not using it Windows takes a long time to return to desktop after execption error.

* I am using no cheats or Cheat Trainers of any kind.

Yeah that is what I meant. I dont know why I said trainer. Heh. I think there may a link here. If you can find out what is causing that delay, let me know. when it is taking a long time to return to the desktop, can you still alt + tab to the desktop? Can you see VC in the task list? Is the start button enabled? If so what happens if you click it?

Thanks

Gadfly