Linux Server

Guest CallanMilne

Okay now I want to run my server through my linux server which is in a colocation facility, but I cant get the MTAServer file to open. When ever I run my site it downloads the file and displays a bunch of mumbojumbo in a text document, how the hell do I run the server??

someone tell me please!

(P.S. To that silly moderator I was using that url as an example, just incase people didn't know what i meant)

Nope it still dosn't work, i've given it every different combination of CHMOD (permission) values and it still dosn't seem to work. Considering the file is just 'MTAServer', thats what it's supposed to be? Is there supposed to be an extension on it, because I dont think my server knows what code a plain old 'MTAServer' file is.

I haven't set it up on linux, but if that is the server, try chmod 0544 on it. also, make sure you own the file (chown youruser:yourgroup MTAServer).

To execute, dont just run MTAServer, type ./MTAServer from the directory where it is located. (if you know Linux, then you probably already know this)

Edit: its 3am, very tired, corrected permissions (dont set +w on +x's!)

...*sigh*

you need shell access to the machine in order to start the server. You appear to only have a webserver, not an actual dedicated linux server.

If you actually do have a server, there are many tools available for remote admin and use of a linux machine, such as rsh and vnc (terminal/graphical) that you will need to use in order to execute the server.

Hey, leave him alone. You should at least respect the fact that he is trying to learn about Linux. And as for myself: I duel-boot between WinXP and Gentoo just like you. I also run four Linux servers. Maybe next time, True, you won't judge a person that you don't even know.

Hey, leave him alone. You should at least respect the fact that he is trying to learn about Linux. And as for myself: I duel-boot between WinXP and Gentoo just like you. I also run four Linux servers. Maybe next time, True, you won't judge a person that you don't even know.
i just found what he sayd funny. i do respect that hes trying to learn it BUT that was a simple task. anyways i was scrolling up where did true judge you in anyway? and anyone can duel boot to linux and run many servers at once dont mean they know what they are doing :wink:

Um, I don't "follow you around". I browse the forums. I go through just about everythng in here. It's not just me I'm sure there are others that think your an asshole to people. I'm just the only one who says anything. I've been around here for while and never have I seen someone with a total lack of respect for other people. No one deserves that except you.

Nobody deserves respect except for me? Well, you said it, why thank you. Now move along, peon, your breathing is staining my clothes.

If you just "browse," then why must you hit "reply" after my posts, or in regards to my posts? All you do is nitpick rather than help. I have my way of doing things, thats just the way I am. Just becuase I dont do something to conform to your style doesn't mean I am an asshole to everyone. You got it right, I am an "asshole to people" - but only a select few. You've joined the list, congratuations.

Now please, stop following me and starting flames, at least for the moderators sake. I am sure they have better things to do than to close threads you start flames in.

Download Putty (the free SSH client), go to http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/ to download it.

Open putty.exe, and fill in your IP/hostname. Log in, and fill in your username and password, then go to the directory where the MTAServer file is. Then type:

./MTAServer

to run it.

If it won't make connection, try to set this:

Go to the SSH tab and select SSH Protocol: 2 Only, it should work..

The moderators are used to me by now smartass. I've been here a while. The only reason I hit "Reply" is because I don't care for the way you talk to people. You don't need to "conform" to my "style of doing things", you just need to stop being an asswipe to everyone who asks for help on subjects that you think everyone should already know about.

Download Putty (the free SSH client), go to http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/ to download it.

Open putty.exe, and fill in your IP/hostname. Log in, and fill in your username and password, then go to the directory where the MTAServer file is. Then type:

./MTAServer

to run it.

If it won't make connection, try to set this:

Go to the SSH tab and select SSH Protocol: 2 Only, it should work..

ssh.com makes available a non commercial verion of its client for free. I think it is alot nicer than PuTTY.

ftp://ftp.ssh.com/pub/ssh/SSHSecureShel ... -3.2.9.exe