[CREATION]Akihabara

Infinate

Hello,

A friend of mine got his hands on 3d models of a big chunk of Tokyo city.

Now I'm not really too keen on Japan myself (I just have a natural dis gust towards people that go crazy for japanese shit and scream stuff like kawai all day) but I do like putting custom stuff into MTA. (And I'm also no stranger to modelling myself)

I already put alot of stuff into MTA, but usually quit those small projects simply due to the fact that I got into a huge fight with the MTA streamer, even though the mods were working perfectly fine in my SP install of GTA:SA. (MTA team, please improve the object streamer and also those nasty engineReplace functions, they seem to be buggy at best)

But this time, I'm determed to actually finish the project, and that's why I'm also showing it you guys.

So I thought I'd start with putting these models into MTA! so far, a big part of the Akihabara district is in MTA without any real issues. Please remember that all objects are indeed custom and not part of the original San Andreas map.

Well, Here are the screens (Please remember that this is far from finished, and I plan on continueing with this project).

http://i46.tinypic.com/2yzep14.png

http://i50.tinypic.com/34rx5l4.png

http://i48.tinypic.com/33wleo3.png

http://i49.tinypic.com/2wmzx3n.png

http://i48.tinypic.com/2zyh36a.png

http://i49.tinypic.com/14mxa52.png

(They are quite big, 1600x900, If anyone has any idea to show maybe a sized down version here on the forum, with the ability to click them to go full-size, that would be greatly appreciated)

Anyways,

I don't think that this project would be practical for use in a server enviorment, for this to happen several core "issues" of MTA have to be solved, One of which would be compressed download, seeing as just this part of Tokyo already ranks up quite a hefty 55 MB. (Luckily it's planned for MTA 1.3.1 :mrgreen: )

But what is a bigger issue, is the MTA functions to replace models, they are just an absolute pain to work with when dealing with custom models. :|

What has to be done:

-Reduce filesize (Resizing textures, most textures are at idiotic sizes, eg. 2048x2048 for a small billboard, even though the picture is quite low quality). But it's a boring job.

-Fix some small bugs with the 3d models.

-Prelight the models, Although I kinda like the way they look without any prelighting... I might just turn up the brightness of the COL files to counter any visual glitches due to no prelighting.

-Add more streets and buildings.

Edited by Guest
you might take a look at this:

viewtopic.php?f=140&t=38462

Thanks for the suggestion, The tool works for 90% of all maps, but the fact that the script gets encrypted just leaves no way of fixing up the script to work with the other 10% of the maps that it doesn't work with. (Plus, the script it produces has a tendency to crash MTA when replacing a large map). And the fact that it automaticly forces a fog at about 300-350 units is just really annoying.

But thanks for the suggestion :)

After alot of hard work and resizing (With some help from Stormfox) the filesize ended up at 20,9 MB.

With the upcoming compressed download from MTA 1.3.1, this would be a 9,3 MB download (If 7zip will be used, which I suspect they will).

9,3 MB seems like a reasonable download for a server, and makes this map usefull for actual server use if the MTA team fixes up the engineReplace functions (especially COL, It's a disaster currently).

I also lit up the models so it doesn't look like the player is standing in the shadow.

What remains to be done;

Fix up some models (Already a few done).

Add in a few more buildings and streets (I plan on recycling some buildings to keep the filesize down).

• 1 month later...

I decided to put the project on hold due to the amount of issues that are arising with the way that MTA replaces custom objects.

Even though the map works fine in my GTA SA SP install,

I got many issues in MTA, like

-Models suddenly losing their collision.

-Models flickering.

-Texture not loading properly.

-Collision not being replaced properly for some a small group of people.

-MTA tends to crash alot for some people for no specific reason at all.

I'm sure these issues will be fixed some day by the MTA team, and I know they are extremely busy so I won't nag them to give these issues any higher priority, simply because, they are actually quite a low priority for MTA in general in my honest opinion, even though I hate to admit that :P

I'll probably pick up work again once the majority of these issues are resolved.

Ah, well.

You know. You could ask The_GTA to give you uncompiled code for his RES CONVENTER.But i agree. There is still a lot to be done.

I believe that MTA team should make the compression of the files (models and textures) possible. Despite the bugs. It shouldn't be that hard. There is much potential in this mod. I wish i wasn't that lazy :)

• 4 months later...

Hello, i am new here (sup everyone)and i just came across this creation akihabara thread, Now, i have been tracking down akihabara buildings for over 2 1/2 years now for my tokyo recreation for simcity 4. even made some of my own, and what i just seen made my jaw drop! Where did he get those 3d models and how did he get them? I would love to use them for my recreation it would save me alot of time making them, considering me making 6 buildings took me over 2 months. It would really help out alot.. So i hope you can help.