Pressing F10 - Can It Be Enabled Automatically?

Kong

Whenever I head into a game the first thing I have to do is press F10 so I can see who is who.

It gets rather annoying when the game crashes because when I head back into the game I have a dendancy to forget to press F10 again.

Is there anyway to have that feature enabled automattically on startup?

The ability to see players names and health without having to press F10 everytime you go into the game.

How does the config.cfg work? If you put the command for toggling player info displaying in there as a command, not a bind, would it automatically toggle? Who knows if this will work or not; part of me is stuck in Half-Life land.

I dont' have a config.cfg.

Is it supported?

You do have a config.cfg. It is in your Vice City folder.

Ahh I see it now.

I added showplayers to the bottom of the list thinking maybe that might enable it on start up.... didn't help.

I actually left the game and when I went to erase it from the config it wasn't there.

Any other ideas?

Can you press F10 anytime after the executable starts, or only after you have gone to Start Game? I would guess only the latter, but i dont know. If it was the former, it wouldn't be hard at all to write a piece of code to enable this automatically, until/if changed in the next version of MTA... for the latter, you'd have to do some tricky timers or something :) or... write a program that routes traffic, and as soon as it sees a significant amount of send traffic, hit F10 :)

It always confuses me... your F10 is my F9 :P

...writing code....so you dont have to press a key once........you have to be the most lazy / forgetful people in the world...

though i agree it should be enabled on startup.

Oh, I press that key a number of times - say, after a crash, each time I start a new game, when opening up my application menu (shift+F10 in Winblows), ...

:)

Trust me, driving around and forgetting to turn it on is annoying. I dont know if affects you, or if you have some fetish with pressing F10 keys, but it annoys me that whenever I drive by someone and dont see their name, I need to remove my hand - albiet just a second - from driving and hit a key. One movement, sure, repeated enough, yeah, sometimes repeated at bad times - most definately.

It almost sounds as if you want to FIGHT it being automatic - do you have some evil plan or something?

Heh you guys bring lazy to a new extreme. anyhow if you don't like to reach all the way over to that f10 key just ... In game after char selection

'/bind [keyname] [function]'

Right out of the manual read it for more details ... this change is permanent

anyways I changed mine to 1 not even a inch form my hand

/bind 1 showplayers

Okay... first of all I'm getting tired of all this lazy crap.

If you're too lazy to press a key on the keyboard you shouldn't be playing MTA... or even own a computer for that matter.

When I goto play MTA:VC I always press F10. Problem is the game crashes and sometimes crashes alot.

It's at those times when i'm on a server and its crashing.. I'm after people and people are after me, I'd say about 1 out of 5 times I am in too much of a hurry to get back in the game and help out my teammates (and by teammates I mean Clan member(s)) that I forget to press it and then I've got people around me and not sure who is who.

This has nothing to do with being a "noob" or lazy as some have put it... and some admit they are.

I just thinkit would be a lot easier if it was automattically enabled or you had the choice to do so.

Seriously...this has NOTHING to do with being lazy. It's just an inconvenience that can sometimes ruin gameplay. And besides the point, it's stupid that something that EVERYONE uses at ALL times is something that you have to press a button to access! It would be like playing counterstrike and pressing the "x" button before you start walking otherwise you couldn't walk at all. What would be the point? And don't tell me that you wouldn't hate that!

Okay... first of all I'm getting tired of all this lazy crap.

If you're too lazy to press a key on the keyboard you shouldn't be playing MTA... or even own a computer for that matter.

HEY! I've got a job, I deserve a break. I work on computers all day, that is my occupation. If I shouldn't own a computer just becuase I am sick of having to screw around with little nuisance (which is a requirement of Windows, which undoubltedly I see all the time at work), then I guess I wont be doing any of the following:

learning

expressing myself artistically

participating in my favorite hobby

web development

helping others with computer problems

talking with my girlfriend (argh.. long distance, long term relationships :/)

having a social life (sad, but hey.. its the way I am)

remembering what I am wearing or what I need to do

posting this message

Sure, some of that I can do without owning a PC, but it becomes either a lot easier or a lot more worthwhile for me to do so.

Therefore, I conclude your judgement to be unjustified (Unless, of course, you hate me :D) :) I can own a computer and be too lazy to press a key. There are many worse than I am, look at your average home computer user.

Edit: I also have horrible memory, so I forget to press the button :) so THERE! And when I remember, I dont want to! :)

It would be like playing counterstrike and pressing the "x" button before you start walking otherwise you couldn't walk at all. What would be the point? And don't tell me that you wouldn't hate that!

X is my walk backward button in FPS's... :P and S is my use button :)

...I guess I wont be doing any of the following:

learning

expressing myself artistically

participating in my favorite hobby

web development

helping others with computer problems

talking with my girlfriend (argh.. long distance, long term relationships :/)

having a social life (sad, but hey.. its the way I am)

remembering what I am wearing or what I need to do

posting this message

Haha, you better hope your computer doesn't blow up - otherwise, you're gonna be screwed. Especially with the girlfriend part :D

EDIT: BTW, I thought I had a weird keyboard setup for FPS games...but yours takes the cake True :)