MTA Rumors: Debunked!

SugarD-x

Question

Okay guys...seeing how I'm getting quite sick of seeing constant rumors about the MTA Team, the mod's history, and even things related to SA:MP, I feel it's time that some of these rumors be brought out into the open and debunked once and for all.

I cannot speak for the MTA and SA:MP Teams themselves, although over the last few years with my development on 0.5r2 and beyond, I've learned quite a bit. It is up to the MTA Team if they wish to answer any further questions or comments in this topic, but I think it's time someone brings this to light.

Welcome to Multi Theft Auto: Debunked!

Question: Is it true that the Multi Theft Auto Team has or had access to GTA source code, (from any version of GTA)?

Answer: No. Although the Rockstar development team was nice enough to give the MTA Team some insider information and code snippets to help them with their mod back when the company unofficially supported modders who enjoyed their games, the MTA Team was not given any source code at all, nor was the Rockstar development team working on any of the Multi Theft Auto projects.

Question: Is it true that the MTA and SA:MP Teams hate each other?

Answer: Not at all! Yes, there is competition, and yes, there is some personal anger between the mod leaders over past disagreements on how the mods should work, but they do not hate each other. This is simply a fanboy-created war from both sides of both mods that have blown things up in everyone's faces, even leading to both real and fake accusations and statements from both teams about each other.

Question: Is it true that MTA:SA Blue's source code is made of MTA:VC Blue's source code?

Answer: Yes and no. Although much of the basic design was carried over, as was some code that by now may or may not have been rewritten, both versions of Blue do retain similar traits and methods. However, when the MTA Team decided to move to MTA:SA on the Blue core, they rewrote the incomplete MTA:VC Blue source to accommodate GTA:SA, instead of GTA:VC, as well as changed quite a few things in the way it works.

Simply put, MTA:SA Blue is a newer, better version of MTA:VC Blue, but only meant for GTA:SA in it's current form. It would take some considerable work to get it working on GTA III and/or GTA:VC, but it is possible with the core itself.

Question: My anti-virus reports MTA 0.x or a very early version of MTA 1.x is a virus! Is this true?!?

Answer: Not at all. As with all anti-malware programs, false positives are possible. In fact, this one is very well known for MTA 0.5 and MTA 0.5r2. The reason being is some programs used to "pack" the executables in order to protect them from people tampering with them causes anti-virus programs to think they are malicious due to similarities in code to generic viruses and trojans. As long as you download your MTA copies from an official link on the MTA domains, you are safe. However, the validity of files downloaded elsewhere cannot be confirmed, so we do not recommend getting your much-loved mods from anywhere but the official sources. ;)

Question: Someone told me that the MTA Team does not care at all about GTA III or VC anymore! Is this true?

Answer: Far from it! The MTA Team at this time has it's main focus on GTA:SA, but they have always wanted to go back one day and work on GTA III and VC. However, due to the time it's taking to make MTA:SA as amazing as it is, this glimpse of hope grows smaller and smaller every day, especially as new developers come and go in the MTA:SA team itself, which is why it currently holds the most focus.

On the other hand, other specific users have been granted access to MTA 0.5's source code in order to try to make some use of it. Nothing is promised, but they are doing their best to get things back on track as they slowly learn. Please remember, though: MTA 0.5's source code is horrible and experimental for it's time, so it's extremely difficult to understand and work with. That means it may take some time if anything is to be made of it, or anything to be coded new in the future based on the information and knowledge it provides.

Question: I entered the MTA official IRC channel and it looks dead, or nothing about MTA is actually discussed! Did MTA die?

Answer: This one is quite common, and the answer simply is no. The reason why users assume this is because commonly people just love to hang out and chat there, and when they aren't chatting, they are AFK'ing! Time zones also heavily affect this as many of the users live in the United Kingdom or United States, which as you may know are on the opposite ends of the planet! The developers themselves also user their own private, secret channels for discussing the actual development of the mod, so don't get discouraged if you don't see them talking about code in there!

Remember, it is a public channel. If they used it for all their development discussions too, everyone would be making comments about it left and right and they would never be able to get anything done! :)

Question: Why is the MTA Team so secretive about their history?

Answer: Because people make assumptions and don't ask the right questions! ;)

Question: Is it true Kye, (also known as Kalcor), used to be part of the MTA Team?

Answer: Yes. Referring to a previously answered question above, Kye and the other MTA Team members had some disagreements regarding how things should proceed in the design of the mod way back when. Due to this, they decided to split and follow their own paths so they could create their own versions of the GTA multiplayer mods for all to enjoy!

Question: I have more questions about all these rumors floating around! Why haven't you discussed them here?!?

Answer: Give me a break! I'm doing my best! :D

In all seriousness, though...these are just some of the many, many rumors and questions floating around the internet about the MTA Team and the mod's history. If you have more you would like an answer to, post them! If it's something I can answer unofficially, I'll do my best. If not, hopefully someone from the MTA Team would be willing to give an answer.

Please know though, I'm not here to start arguments or large discussions. I just want to clear this up once and for all. The rumors on both the MTA and SA:MP websites are getting ridiculous, and they need to stop. Splitting the mods only creates angry fanboys and inhibits any sort of future cooperation that could help both mods succeed further. Competition does not have to translate into war. We can work together for a better multiplayer experience, no matter who we choose to work with or who's mod we play.

19 answers to this question

I hate SA-MP because they're corrupts and they ban you without reasons, they don't like people that suggest new things, they want to keep the gameplay if you don't like it they ban you.

Naw, that's just fanboys in high positions. SA:MP is a decent mod that Kye has done a great job on. It's a great competitor for MTA:SA. It's just unfortunate that people become biased and assume that one mod is better than the other, banning anyone who brings up the competition. As long as you don't break their forum's rules or talk **** about their mod, they have no reason to ban you. If someone does for bringing up MTA, consider them stupid fanboys like the others. Even Kye himself has said that he has no hate for the MTA team and vice versa, and I've discussed both mods on both forums several hundred times without anyone causing any problems aside from fanboys. ;)

My suggestion to you: Hate the fanboys, but don't become one of them. They are just dumb people who don't see the truth in their BS. Enjoy the mods and have fun. That's what it's all about. :)

I hate SA-MP because they're corrupts and they ban you without reasons, they don't like people that suggest new things, they want to keep the gameplay if you don't like it they ban you.

Naw, that's just fanboys in high positions. SA:MP is a decent mod that Kye has done a great job on. It's a great competitor for MTA:SA. It's just unfortunate that people become biased and assume that one mod is better than the other, banning anyone who brings up the competition. As long as you don't break their forum's rules or talk **** about their mod, they have no reason to ban you. If someone does for bringing up MTA, consider them stupid fanboys like the others. Even Kye himself has said that he has no hate for the MTA team and vice versa, and I've discussed both mods on both forums several hundred times without anyone causing any problems aside from fanboys. ;)

My suggestion to you: Hate the fanboys, but don't become one of them. They are just dumb people who don't see the truth in their BS. Enjoy the mods and have fun. That's what it's all about. :)

If I'm a fanboy I wouldn't have a SA-MP server. They banned me just for suggesting things with coherency, like fix bugs that they are from the first versions and stuff like that (they are too lazy or they just don't know how to fix them) . They don't want to grow up, like MTA, they just wanna stay like they are, and that's what I said to them and because they banned me. I'm gonna close my server in 2 months and open a MTA server. I'm not gonna off-topic anymore.

Cheers.

Even Kye himself has said that he has no hate for the MTA team

If he didn't have any hate for MTA, he wouldn't tell lies to people, such as "MTA developers have GTA SA source code" or "this video compares new MTA version to old SA-MP version". So I see nothing wrong about being a "fanboy" because I can't tolerate such propaganda and I want people to know the truth.

Even Kye himself has said that he has no hate for the MTA team

If he didn't have any hate for MTA, he wouldn't tell lies to people, such as "MTA developers have GTA SA source code" or "this video compares new MTA version to old SA-MP version". So I see nothing wrong about being a "fanboy" because I can't tolerate such propaganda and I want people to know the truth.

He never actually said any of that. It was fanboy bull**** that someone started just to cause a fight. I've spoken with him and the MTA Team personally on multiple occasions about the so-called rivalry, and they have no hate for each other at all. They may not agree on how the mods should be made or run, but they hold no hate for one another outside of friendly competition.

He did. He didn't say exactly the same words, but that makes little difference. I've seen topic (it seems to have gone now, though) about MTA vs SAMP video and one sentence from Kye's reply was something like this: "Why not be fair and compare SA-MP 0.2 to some old version of MTA, like DM DP2?" I'm not sure what version numbers those were, but versions compared in the video were the same which he suggested to compare.

The topic was a stupid edit that someone did of one of his posts when they had moderator rights on his forum, which is why he deleted it later when he noticed the change. Again, it's just fanboy BS.

As for comparing, you really can't. They both accomplish similar tasks in different ways for the same game to have nearly the same result. One is open-sourced, the other isn't. There isn't much to compare there. Both existing actually benefits both sides with the competition too.

Answer: Not at all! Yes, there is competition, and yes, there is some personal anger between the mod leaders over past disagreements on how the mods should work, but they do not hate each other. This is simply a fanboy-created war from both sides of both mods that have blown things up in everyone's faces, even leading to both real and fake accusations and statements from both teams about each other.

Not sure how you can judge about our relationship, but whatever... Though i'd call this thread "Spreading rumors!" instead.

Question: Someone told me that the MTA Team does not care at all about GTA III or VC anymore! Is this true?

Answer: Far from it! The MTA Team at this time has it's main focus on GTA:SA, but they have always wanted to go back one day and work on GTA III and VC.

Absolutely wrong. MTA Team is not planning to work on GTA3/VC ever again, nor we are looking for developers for it. This has been decided years ago, and is not to be reconsidered.

What? Our previous site contained a whole page called "MTA History", it's just that the new main page layout has got no space for that. But you're free to dig the archieves.

Not sure how you can judge about our relationship, but whatever... Though i'd call this thread "Spreading rumors!" instead.

Answer: Far from it! The MTA Team at this time has it's main focus on GTA:SA, but they have always wanted to go back one day and work on GTA III and VC.

Absolutely wrong. MTA Team is not planning to work on GTA3/VC ever again, nor we are looking for developers for it. This has been decided years ago, and is not to be reconsidered.

What? Our previous site contained a whole page called "MTA History", it's just that the new main page layout has got no space for that. But you're free to dig the archieves.

1. There is a topic about it in this same board, as well as many personal opinions given by both sides.

2. You are absolutely wrong on that one. Don't like it? I'm sorry. There has not only been authorization given to work on it, but people are. Idk why you are so obsessive about driving III and VC into the ground, but sorry to say...it's been happening this whole time. Stop being so negative and just enjoy what is to come. ;)

3. There is still quite a bit about MTA that is secretive, and it's not so much about it's history. It's more of the details of incidents in the past that aren't covered, what happened during development of multiple versions, things that were never made public/never were publicly-known, etc.

Many things are covered in MTA's history information, but it is not entirely complete, nor extremely detailed.

• MTA Team

Re 2: lil_Toady is definitely not wrong. If he was, then everyone else on the MTA Team would be wrong as well, as the general opinion on this is the same. Please take a note that I am talking about 'here and now', and not about the past.

Our stance on this issue is simple - we will not disrupt any third parties who want to improve our mod's old versions or port the current MTASA codebase to older GTA games (as long as they abide by the corresponding mod's license), but do not expect us to provide any support to them whatsoever. This is due to our commitment to the MTA:SA line, which does not leave us time for other mods.

Regarding 3, I don't think we are secretive about our history. It might not be exposed well enough on our website now, but it is available publicly on the wiki.

As for MTA vs SA-MP, no need to bring that up again.

Also, please refrain from making unnecessary quotes (see forum rules - general advices).

Thanks.

Check the tag under your nick and mine, have fun.

We spoke in #mta, and it seems we both have a better understanding of each other's opinions, so I'll just leave this part of the discussion at that. :)

@jhxp: I'm not referring to the entire team. I understand why the MTA Team shifted to SA. There was a lot of misunderstanding between things here which have been discussed a bit more in #mta.