Download Option Question [Answered]

ReZurrecti0n

Question

While exploring a bit more of MTA by browsing the servers, I've often first had to download quite a bit of files creating wait times up to at least 15 minutes before actually connecting with the server. At this rate, it was taking me forever to explore several diffirent MTA servers which I've only managed to explored 4 because I grew tired of these waiting periods... There's one server that didn't even allow me to play unless signing up at thier website after waiting a good 20 minutes at least from thier downloads, I refused to perform even more time consuming tasks because of that 20 minute thing, so I left without a thought of returning... (This is NOT a complaint, please read on)

Now I'm still debating whether I want to take the time to learn MTA (Lua) in order to create a server because it's a massive amount of time to dedicate and whatnot. I want my server players to have the option of downloading any packages through the server in this manner. For example, visitors only download the very basics (If anything at all) to keep them from having any real wait time when connecting for the first time. Then later in the game (Perhaps after registering an account) these visitors download whatever packages etc. The whole point is to allow them to explore the server and decide if they're going to stay or not before having them download something that is going to take quite a while etc.

So my question is: Can this be done? (Not asking how it's done, we'll cross that bridge later if nessecary)

Just to verify previous answered questions of mine:

Hacking MTA servers are near impossible because of great security already included in thier servers

MTA servers are capable of allowing and disallowing most Mods (Cleo Mods for example)

MTA is much more customizable than SAMP (Or overall just a better choice)

Edited by Guest

6 answers to this question

While exploring a bit more of MTA by browsing the servers, I've often first had to download quite a bit of files creating wait times up to at least 15 minutes before actually connecting with the server.

That's sad but true, there are tons of servers having a lot of garbage scripts and files. In addition to that they are often using the default MTA HTTP server which makes the downloads unbelievably slow. On the other hand the real big servers like CIT, SAUR or FFS are using external HTTP server to serve the client files which are a lot faster. Once you find the right server you will stay there for quite a long time.

Then later in the game (Perhaps after registering an account) these visitors download whatever packages etc.

There is already a solution for music files to stream them without having to download them. From version 1.3.1 onwards there will be a function called downloadFile to download files on demand.

LUA is an awesome, clear and simple language which does not lack any functions, it is totally worth to learn it.

EDIT: The MTA functions are just stunning, you can't compare that to the ones at SA-MP. SA-MP has 389 functions and 63 callbacks while MTA has 778 client functions, 83 client events, 820 server functions and 69 server events.

Edited by Guest

-ffs-Sniper, looking at those stats at the end of your post made me smile.

You need to find a good server, 50% of servers are shit and you really need to find good ones like the ones sniper mentioned and also try out DKR or Andromeda Race/DD/DM

For your own server, it being optional is possible already. If you are NOT using 1.4, then use the community to find the resource, or you can use downloadFile to download the file. It is possible, and you can just download the basic scripts required

I appreciate the response Noddy, but what I create must be of my own designs. Although I do intend to learn from already existing resources shared by the community, but not copy (Thats how one learns to code, doing it yourself) :P

Just so long as it's possible within reason (Excluding workarounds etc.)