" MTA have access to the GTA:SA source code"

IncreEngine

Question

Kalcor (SA-MP Team leader):

Just because another mod did something doesn't mean it's easily possible for SA-MP.

You're comparing SA-MP, a mod that was developed by self-research, with assistance from the GTA modding community, to MTA, a mod developed with the backing of Rockstar Games. MTA have access to the GTA:SA source code headers and debug information. Many of the comments in MTA's code are written by the people who made GTA San Andreas, not MTA developers.

There is no code in SA-MP derived from the GTA:SA source code. It's all our own work.

Oryginal: http://forum.sa-mp.com/showpost.php?p=1 ... ostcount=9

What do you think?

• MTA Team
If MTA code exists in SA-MP, then it dosen't matter. MTA is open-source, bottom line. Anyone is free to use MTA code for their needs. It is not 'stealing'.
I guess you should read up on our license (you know, it's one of those screens in the installer, or read it online). GPL is verry specific with how you should handle GPLed code, unlike BSD license for example you are required to release your own code where GPLed code is included also under GPL.

Anyone can make an MTA clone with our code but has to respect the license and rerelease the code under GPL.

Kye had his reasons to leave, and yes in a way we like the competition, keeps us going in a way. Competition == inovation.

Hell, i could write a book about that guy by now. Full of colored truth (hard to call yourself objective when you are part of one fo two sides) but would be an interesting read. Almost 10 years of history.

All of this bickering goes back many years, the tale of SA-MP and MTA is one of great turbulence and ups and downs. To me it really seems completely irrelevant today. Kalcor was a part of the MTA Team in the past, yes - and as far as I'm aware he was perhaps the most active during his time on MTAVC Blue. From his most recent post, it's obvious he didn't like the way MTA was structured at the time, so decided to do things himself. Obviously he would have learned a lot about VC during his time at MTA, skills that could be transferred to VC-MP, but that does not imply theft in any way. Yes, VC-MP had one source file but we resolved that issue back in the day when we agreed the credits would be adjusted.

Kalcor seems persistent in his claims that MTA has access to the SA source code, while claiming that we threatened the startup of rival mods with quotes from 'MTA Team member' MrJax. A post dating Sun May 01 00:54:25 2005, over a year before MrJax joined the MTA team, shows him speculating that he heard Oli has access to 'a lot' of the SA source code. It's completely unsubstantiated to claim that we ever 'threatened' people not to compete because of any exclusive access, and infact we've stated that we've been flattered by people wishing to follow the path of MTA. To the best of my recollection, during the early days of SA-MP, the communities of MTA and SA-MP were very harmonious, and Blokker would regularly post in the SA-MP forums. It's always been encouraging to see multiplayer mods actually sustain themselves without dying - which can't be said of GTA:t, Bounce-Multiplayer, SA-2P, San Andreas Party, NET.GTA, SanAnarchy, ProjectAndreas Reloaded and so many other multiplayer mods that couldn't survive the tests of development. It's a great achievement for SA-MP to get where it is, and the strong position it holds certainly has affected the focus and development of MTA.

Concering the source code, as we have confirmed before, we did recieve a couple of header files, all of which can be found at our repository and are nothing more than some flag/function names, we don't actually have the source CODE. For exampe CVehicle.h contains CVehicleFlags info, but even that info isn't full as in the next struct - CTrainFlags you may notice a lot of unknown flags. We have never been backed by R* and in fact, as Blokker has pointed out, we've lost all our contacts right after Hot Coffee release. The fact of the matter is that MTA is an open-source mod. Since going open-source, our player counts have risen from around 15,000 players per month during DP1 to 190,000 players a month. Whether or not the revision 1 of our first open-source code contained SA source files is irrelevant: MTA was a poor product during developer previews. Since then, our many developers all around the world who've submitted code through our bugtracker for review and have often gained full commit access. We've seen fundamentals like controller support, refreshed GUI, voice chat, custom handling, custom sound support all through the power of Open-Source and GPL. To claim that the endeavour of all our hardworking contributors is because someone did it for us is frankly hilarious. I'm very appreciative of the hard work our current contributors put in, and it's of no surprise that none of the MTA:VC Blue team or indeed the original MTASA team currently work on MTASA.

We are a powerful, flexible and accurately synchronised open-source multiplayer for San Andreas. I can't say the same for DP1, but we've weathered through many storms and our player count is rapidly rising. Check our changelogs - they speak for themselves. There's no SA source code in them.

Bearing in mind we have two different pieces of software performing the same core functionality, it's unsurprising that ideas are seemingly borrowed from one another. There's no use making accusations over what feature belonged to whom - but hey, that's competition. Really, both parties could have started flamewars every time another fix or feature appears in one mod after another, but we prefered to stay away from that for the last years. MTA and SA-MP work very differently, and it's unsurprising that both mods have their limitations (of which i believe is the cause of this discussion).

I believe all of the questions have been answered, so I don't see a point to continue this discussion.

• Like 1