Loss of sync, all the time.

Guest sTo0z

I'm trying to run a LAN (ASE off) over my school's network (so it's pretty fast) and players can join up pretty good and things go smooth for awhile.

Quickly I noticed some problems so I shut it down and tested some stuff out with just 1 other person. So even with 2 people in the game, tons of sync loss..

It usually happens whenever crossing the loading barrier, but sometimes we get past that ok. But when it happens it happens bad. Things like shooting out the tires of a car, and on your screen, you see if driving like crazy, then I turn around and look on my friends screen, and his car is in perfect shape.

Also things like me unloading a whole clip into my friend, when on his screen, I'm facing a wall.

Other instances inlude one player driving around somewhere and on my screen I see him just standing there in a totally different spot of the city.

You know, stuff like this. Any amount of sync loss just ruins the game, but it gets really bad. It isn't lag though, this network is very fast.

This happened so much in .1 that I put it away until .2 came out. When I read that much of the netcode stress had been reduced, I was overjoyed that these problems would go away. Alas they have not..

This also doesn't just happen over this LAN. I've played with my brother over the internet (with good ping) and the same exact things start happening.. so I have no idea how you people are even playing at all. :?

So can anyone help me out or give me some suggestions? Thanks.

The network at my school was pretty terrible - it was only intended to carry web traffic. Regarding the problems you mentioned though, I don't even have that much trouble on my dialup connection. Ususally someone can run around me or get into a car before I notice, but not any worse than that. I can still kill people about 1/2 the time.

My LAN for MTA is 10mb switches with 100mb backbone - my friends and I have never really noticed signifigant sync problems. We always have things like people sliding on the ground while shooting :D but that's nothing to do with the network.

What are some specs of the machines you're using? Do you know anything about the hardware at your school?

This isn't a little lag, it's not lag at all. It's clients seeing two completely different things.

All those examples I gave aren't lag, just really horrid sync loss.

My only guess is that the server isn't strong enough to handle the traffic. How strong would you imagine a server be to test for two people?

And the LAN is very good here, not crappy, in case you were wondering. :)

it maybe that the packets are being lost or colliding into other packets across the network. Since it is a school network, other people may be surfing the net, chating, or other high bandwidth usage on the network. Is this game in the same room? on the same subnet(if one exists) and do you know if there if any other traffic on the network?

My LAN MTA server is dual 800MHz PIIIs with 512Mb, connected on the 100mb backbone. I find that each client uses about 7-8Mb of RAM. CPU utilization isn't much that I can tell flipping between machines on the KVM while playing. (this server is also running UT, and HLDS at the same time)

I just got MTA setup on here, so the most people I've tested it with is 4, but it's going to get some abuse this weekend. :D

I would imagine that for two people, (as long as you are running a dedicated server) 400MHz w/ 256Mb would be way overkill.

The testing example with two people is me and my roommate on beefy comps, and another comp runnin' only the server (dedicated). So all three comps are in the same room, there are subsections of the network (between the dorms, main buildings, etc) so obviously we are in the same level.

Dedicated comp isn't much, but I figured it could run two people...

Specs:

Intel Celeron @ 400 MHz

128 RAM

WinXP Pro

Hit Ctrl-Alt-Delete, and open your Task Manager on that dedicated machine. I'll bet it's totally out of memory. Win2K/XP generally uses 100Mb or more as soon as it's started up, so that's before you run any programs, or the game server. With a program running, or a couple gamers connected, it will be well over 128Mb of RAM.

If you can find some RAM laying around, or can spare some from another machine, stick it in there, and give it another try. Your server isn't going to stand a chance when it's using the HD half the time. You could also disable as many services as you possibly can (only if you feel confident), since it's only serving that game anyway. No need for extra crap.

Otherwise, as far as speed, the Celery 400 should be just fine for quite a few people.

I'm trying to run a LAN (ASE off) over my school's network...

Over your schools network!? What, you just waltz in there and throw Vice City into the drive and they have no problem with it? :shock:

I take pride in my skill in being able to post a somewhat wholesome reply that doesn't even come close to answering the question.

I'm trying to run a LAN (ASE off) over my school's network...

Over your schools network!? What, you just waltz in there and throw Vice City into the drive and they have no problem with it? :shock:

I take pride in my skill in being able to post a somewhat wholesome reply that doesn't even come close to answering the question.

My school had no problem with it, so long as it didn't interrupt a class...We usually did it after school. We played Tribes. :D

Got a better server on the way.

Specs:

1.4 GHz

256MB PC2100 RAM

WinXP Pro

Should that do the trick?

Get more ram...and I hope your ram is the DDR kind..

I run a 2.0 P4, and 712 PC2700 MB DDR SDRAM..

the Celery 400 should be just fine for quite a few people.

Your kidding, right? A celeron 400, is like a Pentium 100mhz. AMD doesn't make that weak of a processor...:lol:

Well I mean... there's like hundreds of kids in the dorms, and we host lots of different games from our rooms.

Counter-Strike, Halo, MTA...

I never really looked at it as a problem.

One big LAN parteh all the time. :)

AMD doesn't make that weak of a processor...:lol:

I assume from this statement that you would consider this to be fairly powerful compared to a celeron 400, since AMD doesn't make anything that weak. Also, let's not forget that every AMD Duron has 1/2 the L2 cache of any celeron, which was the only problem with the celeron in the first place, simply compounded on the Duron. :P:D