Towncivilian

MTADiag - diagnostic tool for MTA:SA

MTADiag is a small open-source console application which will:

• Read MTA's and GTA's install paths, and MTA's current version - if multiple versions of MTA are installed, it will ask the user to pick one to diagnose
  • Automatically remove compatibility mode settings for GTA and MTA (except for Administrator privileges)
  • Check if DirectX is up-to-date, and if not, download and launch the web updater
  • Automatically download and launch MTA's latest nightly or unstable installer (whichever is applicable)
  • Automatically generate a dxdiag log
  • Create a log file with the aforementioned paths, MTA's previous and updated version strings, the generated dxdiag log, a list of currently running processes, the contents of CEGUI.log, core.log, and logfile.txt, directory listings of the MTA, GTA, and GTA\models folders, and some other miscellaneous information which is automatically uploaded to MTA's Pastebin.

Current version: 2.7.7

th_MTADiag221.png

It's a little unfriendly due to the fact that it's a console app, but I think it will streamline client support topics by aggregating all potentially useful information into the first post, or potentially eliminating the need to create a new topic altogether if removing compatibility mode entries, installing the latest nightly and the DirectX runtimes fixes the user's issue. I've added a download link to MTADiag in the MTA CRASHING? Read here first! sticky thread.

MTADiag supports Windows XP and newer, but must be run with Administrator privileges on Windows Vista and newer.

MTADiag supports MTA 1.1.x and newer.

If MTADiag will not run for you, install Visual C++ 2013 runtimes.

You can find MTADiag's source on Google Code.

Thanks to Maccer and ccw for helping me out with a couple issues during coding.

If you find any bugs, or have any suggestions on further improvements, please share.

MTADiag must be run with Administrator privileges on Windows Vista and newer.

What happend to XP?

This program will run on XP. Wording corrected in the original post.

GodFather    0

Nice one! :D But if you have 1.1.1 & 1.2 installed together it will only find the 1.2 one. But really great tool, it will make easier to help people. I mean it will be easier for you. Seems like you are pro at the reading dxdiag log. :mrgreen:

/me runs

MTADiag 1.1 is out. It brings the following improvements:

• The user can now choose to diagnose either MTA:SA 1.2 and 1.1 if both are installed
  • Files created are now deleted upon program exit
  • Log filename and log contains the date and time of when MTADiag was launched

zerb    1

Towncivilian.. is there anything you can’t do?

This looks excellent. Now you wont have to spend all that time searching for drivers for everyone!

Seben    1
a small standalone console application
a SMALL standalone
SMALL

Wow, to be such a big utility (and seeming kinda complex at the time), AND BEING SMALL...

You sir is a master :D

Wow, to be such a big utility (and seeming kinda complex at the time), AND BEING SMALL...

You sir is a master :D

Heh, if you say so. It's only 328 lines of C++ code.

And Zerbian, I'll still need to search for drivers, but oh well. Less work still if nightly/DirectX fixes stuff and the user ends up not needing to post a logfile.

Seben    1
Heh, if you say so. It's only 328 lines of C++ code.

...I must learn more C++

Cannot believe it.

Btw is the custom app icon included in those lines? :P

The application icon is in the resource.rc file.

IDI_APPLICATION     ICON          "res\\application.ico" 

Include resource.rc in your project, put an icon in the res\ folder, and you'll have an icon.

Seben    1

Wow, ty for the help :D

Could I use this app just for updating my drivers and MTA? Wouldn't it cause troubles?

MTADiag does not update any drivers automatically, only DirectX if it is out of date. And it also doesn't install MTA nightly or DirectX automatically (yet) - it just launches a browser window with the download link to the latest nightly/DX, then you must save and install the file yourself.

MTADiag does not interfere at all with MTA, and doesn't leave any generated files on your machine, so you can use this app in the manner you described if you want.

MTADiag 1.2 is out.

• Uses libcurl to automatically download the latest nightly installer and DirectX web updater (if required)
    Unfortunately, libcurl.dll and zlib1.dll have to be bundled with MTADiag now, so it's not really standalone anymore.
  • URL for 1.2 nightly download updated from "unstable" to "rc"

th_MTADiag12.png