A question for the masses.... Is .2 a Team game?

Loendal

Do you, personally, consider MTA .2 to be a TEAM game?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Do you, personally, consider MTA .2 to be a TEAM game?

• Yes, like-classes should not attack like-classes
    • No, It's still a Free for All, Only difference is the skin gives you what weapons you want
    • Maybe, In certain circumstances. Maybe Robbers SHOULD shoot robbers from time to time? But not if there's a cop in the vicinity * evil grin * Shoot him

I chose "In certain circumstances".

I pretty much go by what you typed for that poll option. But if I'm attacked by a member of my own class, I will retaliate without hesitation.

But in most cases, if I have a friend on the same server, and we're two differant classes (ie, I'm a cop and he's a robber) we'll still team up. Needless to say, that can easley confuse other players LOL

I took the third option, MTA is still very much a game about freedom in the same vein as GTA. The different 'careers' can be viewed as soldier classes, i know VCA members all have their particular favourite that suits their playing style, the sailor for me, the robber for yourself loendal, etc.

So a lot of team members tend to select the character they want and then meet up somewhere, using the tags as identification in any skirmishes they get involved in. This results in a well balanced team with short range and lng range fighters, 'vehicle destroyers' etc.

It can also be fun to decide to play 'sailors v mexicans' or 'cops and robbers' and set the 2 pretty well matched careers against each other, but this is an entirely different way of playing, and is as simple to get going as everyone doing /kill and going to one career or the other.

So the crux of the matter is freedom, choice, variety. Three things we will strive to maintain throughout the development of future versions.

as bump has said before, the classes are not specifically team based, although thats what the text suggests.

If you want teams its easy to /kill yourself and choose but the different classes make the game fun

I personally like the VCC as i can run and shoot with him, and still have a nice rifle for some long range action (plus all the cool stuff i pick up from people i kill ;-P)

I agree with what scurvy said...the mod needs to be a little more developed before the whole team concept catches on. i personally haven't caught on to the whole teams thing yet, just because it doesn't feel "teamy" enough for me. There's no satisfaction to playing with teams because there's no 'win' or 'lose' or higher advantage to winning.

On the other hand, I could care less about teams anyway. I like FFA deathmatch and I think that if the MTA team ever makes two seperate modes, I will probably play FFA anyway...unless of course they work in different types of team DM (ie. capture the flag style or something like that), then I might catch on to team play.

I don't expect much for a while though, seeing as this is only 0.2 and 0.3 will mostly likely be more work on small things like bugs and crashes and physics...or so we hope. But I will wait :)

I choose the fourth option ...

I wish it was a team game ... but currently it's not ... i play team game, as i don't shot ppl with the same skin as mine ... but heck there are too many things to consider ... as the skin bugs, and the other players not wanting to play a team game ... but i do prefer team games ... as i dislike imensely FFA ... so i always try to find someone that wants to do a team thing ... if not ... i change server ... :roll:

ps: i voted the 3rd one ... cause at least its neither yes nor no ...

I think like Xucas... that there is some issuies, that makes it impossible to play team game... :!:

My problem is that i cant se who are friends, and who are enemys.. :?:

the first time i tryed v0,2 i noticed that not alle mexicans had mexican skins,

and the same for all the other carrear modes ... soo i say it isnt a team player game yet ...

I'm not saying "This is a team game and there's no shifting it". That seems to be the general opinion of folks I've gotten responses from. I'm not trying to take away the open-endedness of it either. What I'm getting at is that seems to be the chief complaint I hear while playing online.

"Same team!!"

Or as I've more often seen

"DUDE WTF??!!! TEAM! *insert explitives here*"

If it's not a "team game" by the terms of the masses who are playing it, why do I ALWAYS see these types of messages? Every server I join, I hear it at least twice in any given time span.

I tend to take it as it comes. I generally accept that I'm not going to be shot by that robber over there, so I won't go after him. But the first shot I get fired in my direction that seems intending to do me intentional harm, I retaliate.

Never mess with the stubby, you're going to die. :wink:

when the team split the scoreboard into teams etc, or allow a server to end a game at a certain time/frags, set basic round objectives etc; team play may be more relevent
Maybe an idea for 0.3 could be to make team play an option. I like the idea of team play, but there are some times when you just wanna go around and frag everything that moves without being accused of being a TK'er (and without having to spawn as a racer or VCC).

I like these two quotes here. I like the gaming philosophy I'm seein. It very much matches my own. Well, that plus the "beauty of" statement. That was class. Very.

Now, more importantly I'd like to get to wildz0r's comment about making it an option. Vice City is large. Right, not the largest gameplay area in an online game by any stretch, but for what is mostly a shooter, it's quite big. Lots of area, lots of time, lots of travelling about. Lots of options for a single person to explore while playin. Teamplay - structured, programmatically-supported teamplay that is, not this 'perceptional' teamplay thing that's goin on - will add a fantastic new dynamic to the game. [Especially if we can get some more of those nice little twirling colored arrows flyin around our heads, yeah?] But like wildz0r knows, sometimes ya just wanna friggin blow the hell outta whatever moves, no matter what.

This is all why I think teamplay should not only be an option for the server administrator, but an option for the individual player. You choose your team when you connect and spawn after death accordingly - just like a typical shooter - as the same character, but back at your team's home area. If you want to leave the teamplay and go into solo mode, you type a console command that does basically the same as /kill, go back to character selection and choose a character from the solo group.

Something like "((Team vs. Team) vs. FFA)."

But back to the original question: No. In its current state, MTA(VC) 0.2 is not a true team game and shouldn't be treated like one until the program makes it a little more apparent who's on your side and scores accordingly. I love the idea that so many folks in the MTA community are adamant about upholding teamplay, though. It shows you're not all a buncha lame kiddies who want to "k1llz0rz j00 4ll" - but a level headed group of true gamers who want to make the most of the experience.

As agrafuese said, I dont expect progress of this level to happen immediately or with 0.3, 0.4 possibly not even 1.0. Maybe it will, maybe it wont. I'm no programmer and have no refined perspective of the time it takes to do these things. Quite frankly, I'm amazed that MTA has come this far, as fast as it has. I tip my - not wearin a hat - nod my head to everyone who's workin on it. I look forward to what's to come, but I can wait for it. Yes, I'm admittedly an MTA n00b, but a patient one at least.

I choose the fourth option ...

I wish it was a team game ... but currently it's not ... i play team game, as i don't shot ppl with the same skin as mine ... but heck there are too many things to consider ... as the skin bugs, and the other players not wanting to play a team game ... but i do prefer team games ... as i dislike imensely FFA ... so i always try to find someone that wants to do a team thing ... if not ... i change server ... :roll:

ps: i voted the 3rd one ... cause at least its neither yes nor no ...

I somewhat agree with you Xucas, it is not really a "team based" game, well at least not as much as you would think. Now CS is a purely team based game and i LOVE IT, i have played CS for over 3 yrs now!!

Some of you say that it doesnt have to be as team based as some would like, which is true but, even from the character screen the setup is mostly team based. (ie most say TeamPlay) =P

At the moment i'd say it is neither Team Based or Anything else. Its an open ended game.

I prefer the Team Play as you always have someone in the game to help back you up and theres always someone in there you know.

For the Gang i'm in (Roxor International PLC - RIP) we tend to go onto our server (Hosted by DJMills) and will try to keep the teamplay going except for maybe when its Three On One then we'll go into Every Person For Themselves.

Thats one of the best things about it at the moment, you choose how you want to play.