Area 51 Gates

Baingo

How do i go about either getting the gates at area 51 (near Las venturas) to open and close when a car or ped comes near it or deleting the gate completely and adding a custom gate, i can work out how to make the gate i just dont know how to get rid of the big one that is there, would much prefer to keep the one that is there and have it open and close but im not sure what to do =S all help would be really appreciated Thanks.

The surrounding fence (including gates) is a single object, you will not be able move anything as it is by default. You can however edit the DFF and COL of the original object to remove the static gates, leaving a gap, then either find another game object that will fit or replace a game object with a new custom object (perhaps using the section of mesh removed from A51's fence object) and move that.

In some cases the procedure is very simple, requiring only a TXD and COL edit, but in this case since the whole object shares the same texture, you'd need to edit the mesh.

Also g'day to QLD :P good to see some more Aussies about

awesome thanks quick reply. EDIT: Oh ok thanks for that tip i thought it was all one yeah mate you dont see many :) would it be easier to delete the whole piece then create my own with a gap for a custom gate? im just not sure how to delete world objects, whether i do that in map editor or by scripting.

Edited by Guest

If you hunt down GMax (a free program) and get Kam's GTA scripts to go with it, you should be able to import the DFF and do your work there. Since in this case it's a very simple object and you're looking to perform a relatively simple alteration, it should just be a case of deleting some faces/vertices and exporting again.

You could probably use the DFF mesh as a COL if you want, but it'd be better to alter the embedded COL and use that instead, it's about 1/7th the amount of geometry.

You'll need to use the various engineLoad/Replace scripting functions to get your new object to appear in-game.

I cant get the kamsMax script to open with 3ds Max 2010 i copied all the files over into the directory startup is there but it doesnt come up in utilities, is there a certain kams Max for 2010? im using gmax for now, I also cant work out how i delete parts out of it, or use it at all.

http://www.dkrclan.com/baingo_nogates.zip

Try that. Didn't test, so hopefully there aren't any problems or horrid col failures. Bear in mind that custom object support in MTA is still pretty buggy, so you may experience intermittent texture failure or the col reverting to original when streamed out and in again (I think there is a scripting fix for that one though).

If you need to specify a TXD for it, just use a51_ext.txd and delete everything out of it except for: a51_metal1, des_elepylon & Upt_Fence_Mesh.

Thanks heaps man for using your time to make this for me, except im still pretty newb to all this, but im trying to learn. so should this be how i get it working? nothing changes thats all.

function clientsetup() 
    local skin = engineLoadTXD ( "world/a51_ext.txd" ) 
    engineImportTXD ( skin, 16094 )  
    local col == engineLoadCOL ( "world/des_a51infenc.col" ) 
    engineReplaceCOL ( col, 16094 ) 
    local model = engineLoadDFF( "world/des_a51infenc.dff",0 ) 
    engineReplaceModel(model,16094) 
end 

Then this in the meta

I shouldn't need server functions should I?

you must add a event Handler

function clientsetup() 
    local skin = engineLoadTXD ( "world/a51_ext.txd" ) 
    engineImportTXD ( skin, 16094 )  
    local col == engineLoadCOL ( "world/des_a51infenc.col" ) 
    engineReplaceCOL ( col, 16094 ) 
    local model = engineLoadDFF( "world/des_a51infenc.dff",0 ) 
end 
addEventHandler( "onClientResourceStart", getRootElement( ), clientsetup) 

addEventHandler("onClientResourceStart", resourceRoot, 
function() 
    local skin = engineLoadTXD ("world/a51_ext.txd") 
    engineImportTXD (skin,16094) 
    local col = engineLoadCOL ("world/des_a51infenc.col") 
    engineReplaceCOL (col,16094) 
    local model = engineLoadDFF("world/des_a51infenc.dff",0) 
end) 

LnHk1.jpg

Just checked on my local, model files seem to be ok. There might be a problem in your script, although as I said in a previous post, custom model support in MTA is still a bit rudimentary, and doesn't always work as you might like it to.

Some scripters have been able to partially overcome the problems using various tricks (can't help you with specific explanation of that), but replacing native map objects as they exist on the map seems to be more troublesome than other kinds of DFF/COL/TXD replacements (vehicle/spawned map objects).

I see. there was a problem in my meta. its pretty awesome man i can run through it except i can still see the gate, but when I disconnect and come back there is no gate but cant go through it is this the problem you were talking about? or do you think maybe there is another error i need to fix?

But when I disconnect and come back there is no gate but cant go through it is this the problem you were talking about? or do you think maybe there is another error i need to fix?

Because script is made with 'onClientResourceStart' event, what means, after download, the resource starts, if you reconnect(to your local), there is no more files to download and resource won't start, hope you understanded me.

Publish the .txd file? It's very straight-forward to make.

Download TXDWorkshop, download IMGTool. Use IMGTool to open gta3.img (in .../GTA San Andreas/models), find a51_ext.txd, extract it. Open the txd with TXDWorkshop, delete everything except a51_metal1, des_elepylon & Upt_Fence_Mesh. Save file, done.

There's no substitute for learning and experiencing how to do things yourself :)

Also if you're using my DFF/COL files which were uploaded for Baingo, due credit would be nice.

Ok.. I thought i had it working perfectly. it kind of is but only on my computer. when i test it on my other computer, it will be gone on some angles you look at it, but then when u turn a bit it appears and turn and it disappears, just keeps poppin up =\ got to be something to do with the other computer not downloading somethin? instead of using a col to just remove the gate im using a col to remove the whole fence all together, ive tried several different things, just cant seem to get it workin.

Im using a commandhandler for the time being so i can test it

Heres what I got:

Client

function ReplaceObject ( ) 

txd = engineLoadTXD( "world/a52_ext.txd" ) 
col = engineLoadCOL( "world/remover.col" ) 
dff = engineLoadDFF( "world/des_a51infenc.dff", 0 ) --modelid is everytime 0, when you replace no vehicle 

engineImportTXD( txd, 16094 ) 
engineReplaceCOL( col, 16094 ) 
engineReplaceModel( dff, 16094 )-- replace the model at least 

end 

addEvent ( "replaceObj", true ) 
addEventHandler ( "replaceObj", getRootElement(), ReplaceObject ) 

Server

function ReplaceCommand ( ) 
triggerClientEvent( "replaceObj", getRootElement(), replaceObj ) 
end 
addCommandHandler( "replace", ReplaceCommand ) 

Meta