Suggestion for forum

MetaGamer

Instead of saying what do you think, why don't you start now?

Just because the subforum doesn't exist yet, there is no reason to waste time doing *nothing*.

I don't support this, but if you like the idea, you can do whatever you want.

MetaGamer, look at "Other" subforum, around "Resources" forum.

Instead of saying what do you think, why don't you start now?

Just because the subforum doesn't exist yet, there is no reason to waste time doing *nothing*.

I don't support this, but if you like the idea, you can do whatever you want.

If you dont support this, stop saying it over and over again.

Haven't read the whole topic, but personally I fully support this idea. Benxamix2: Why wouldn't people learn from such tutorials?

tutorials are MEANT to learn people do stuff. Tutorials are basics, this means a tutorial is a explanation of something in its simplest form. Users have to expand this theirself. Tutorials where people won't learn from, aren't tutorials. These are ready-to-use codes with a description.

Besides, I can myself create a whole tutorial without any copy-paste code to use. And tutorials seem to be highly needed as many people ask the same thing over and over again. We can even create a tutorial about "How do i convert milliseconds to seconds for a timer", it doesn't matter: the point is, people will have references where they can learn from without having to ask.

Ofcourse you keep the people who are simply shit and don't want to, or don't seem to learn from anything including tutorials. But you can't avoid these; helping them in a topic of 20+ pages seems to be normal for those people.

Also people don't use the wiki for tutorials. One thing is that the wiki hardly has any tutorials, probably because the forums are much more preferred to ask or search than use the wiki. I've found just 6 tutorials on the wiki, all about scripting a GUI.

Second thing is, people don't look at the wiki for tutorials. It took even me quite a time before I found out there are tutorials on the wiki. And still, when I look at the main page, I see links where I've never, ever clicked on but can be useful.

Third thing, forums are WAY easier to use than the wiki. Wiki might have HTML support, but do you really need a super-fancy looking tutorial where you get distracted by everything on the page? Well, I don't, so the forums should give enough styling options.

Forums are easier to use too imo. Buttons are all there, and it all works pretty clear. Wiki syntax looks rubbish when you ask me. And, people can post reactions on tutorials: questions about unclear things, suggestions to improve the tutorial. Or just thank the creator for his help.

With that said, I vote yes to a "Tutorials" or "Scripting tutorials" subforum.

A tutorials sub forum seems like a great idea. People should find a place where there is information available for them. You cannot expect a newbie to know how to use metatables without even knowing that they exist. A collection of coding and design practices is a good reference for scripters who want to educate themselves!

Tutorial topics can also be a resource for discussions. People will share common problems they faced using known techniques and I think that people may be shy to ask questions they find stupid to ask.

Let us have a tutorials sub forum, shall we?

BTW, +1 to Remi, because he is awesome! :D

(Dead? No, stuff is taking alot of time.)

Edited by Guest
  • 3 weeks later...

A sub-forum for tutorials will be useful for newbies but we also need a 'Team Recruitment' one, since Hosting Solutions section is for commercial purposes.

Proposed rules for Team Recruitment section:

1. Do [b]NOT[/b] ask for someone to host your server or another server to merge with. If you are not able to provide hosting for your own server then you should not be using this section. 
2. Do [b]NOT[/b] post threads asking to become a staff member or offering your services to any willing server. Use the existing threads to find yourself a job. 
3. Stay on-topic. Off-topic posts will be deleted and the posters will possibly face infractions. 
4. Do [b]NOT[/b] bump threads you did not make; only the topic creator may bump his or her threads. Also, do not bump your thread more than once every 24 hours. 
5. Threads with no reply for 2 weeks will be closed. If you would like it reopened, message a moderator. 
6. Please post constructively. Flaming and spamming will not be tolerated and will result in getting infracted. 
7. This is not a  MTA server advertisement section.  

I love your third point; you sorta broke it already lmao

This topic was meant for a tutsubforum, although I can go into your suggestion too.

We already have a "Servers" subforum, where you can post a topic to introduce your server. If any of these servers need help, they can make that clear there right?

--

About the tutorials subforum. I've seen quite a lot stupids who just post 2 pieces of code and say "combine them". Well, these are NOT tutorials. So I've been thinking about a "Master Tutorial List". This is a list of proper tutorials, where text colors represent the difficulty and gives you a list of must-read tutorials. Like this, we can make a big list of tutorials without listing the stupid and useless tutorials.

I've had experience with this on another forum, and it works very well. I can easily maintain such a topic, so I see this as a good way to avoid retarded tutorials (which arent tutorials blahblah once again)