Server Brings down the entire network!

DJ-Mills

if run a MTA:VC 0.2 server on any computer on my network, it runs fine at first, shows on ase, people can play and all.

However, if the serving computer comes under stress (loads a lot for some reason) and little free resources remain, then my entire network falls and my router resetts, knocking everyone out of the game.

The server was set for 4 players and all 4 were present the last time this happened.

If anyone knows a way i can fix this it would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: The same thing used to happen with the MTA:VC 0.1 server!

what is the system specs? also how is the server connected to your router, thru a hub, switch?

Specs of the comp are

AMD Athlon 1700+

7200rpm 40GIG HDD

GeForce 4 Ti Graphics with 128Mb DDR ram

Hercules Fortissimo II Surroundsound

256MB DDR Ram

16X DVD ROM

32X CD-Writer

17" relisys monitor

ThermalTake Volcano Cooling system

And yes all 3 computers connect through a router and all the correct ports are open!

EDIT: the internet connection is 1Mbit Cable

You have a badly designed network then.

I have never heard of this Server bringing down a proper network ... so there is not much we can do about this. We will try to fix the crashing bugs, that is all.

My network is relatively simple, 3 computers 1 router 1 cable connection, thats all.

EDIT: Nevermind, il try buying a higher quality router such as a NetGear One.

• 1 month later...

I think I'm suffering from the same problem you were...

I'm currently using a Linksys Wireless-G Router (WRT54G), and sometimes (usually at high loads, but not always) EVERYONE will get disconnected from my server at once; a mass timeout for everyone.

When this happens, my Internet IP address changes as well.

The weird thing is that this doesn't happen at any other time other than running the MTA server. If I'm uploading/downloading from ftp/web/irc/etc no problems, my other game servers never crap out (Ghost Recon and BF 1942) when under stress... it just seems to happen when mta is running.

Has anyone found a solution for this, other than buying a better router? Not using the router is also not really an option...