Learning how to script

Hello, I don't know if I've got the right area but here goes.

I was just wondering if someone could direct me to where you can learn to start scripting lua.

I've been to the wiki and read the Scripting Introduction and GUI introduction which I've learnt alot! I know how all the server software works I've been hosting a server on Linux and Windows for sometime I just want to start making small things then eventually making big projects like gamemodes. If someone could help me out with where I need to go to read the information I need to learn I would much appreciate it, Thanks Thomas.

For general lua knowledge, read the 'Programming in LUA' book, made by one of the creators of LUA:

http://www.lua.org/pil/

Also, lua.org is a general goldmine of LUA-related info.

For MTA specific stuff, just browse the MTA wiki (the random page link is great for this). Also, feel free to ask any questions here on the forums.

Thanks, I'm getting right on to this. So, how long can it take for anyone to even get the dead basics? Would you know?

Well, that depends on your experience with scripting/programming in general. It also depends on what you consider that 'dead basics'.

Well, sad to say. I don't have really any scripting/programing in general except Web languages like HTML, XHTML, CSS. Would this be a problem for me to learning?

Course not, I learned most of what I know from MTA, though I did have some prior experience with Python. I say give it a month or two, you'll be making basic scripts easily in no time.

Oh good, I was expecting to read an overall of programing languages. So, just keep reading the LUA manual and reading the MTA wiki?

Pretty much. As you browse the MTA wiki, you'll uncover some cool functions, which will give you ideas of cool stuff to script. Also, always try to find new, more efficient ways to do scripts.

Once you get pretty and want to up the level of your scripts, you should start getting into more advanced topics in general programming (object-oriented programming, for example). That said, took me about 8 months before I started getting into that.

Here is a site for optimization tips relating to LUA itself:

http://lua-users.org/wiki/OptimisationTips

Pretty much. As you browse the MTA wiki, you'll uncover some cool functions, which will give you ideas of cool stuff to script. Also, always try to find new, more efficient ways to do scripts.

Once you get pretty and want to up the level of your scripts, you should start getting into more advanced topics in general programming (object-oriented programming, for example). That said, took me about 8 months before I started getting into that.

Here is a site for optimization tips relating to LUA itself:

http://lua-users.org/wiki/OptimisationTips

Thats alright. Not to bad. I wasn't expecting to learn the whole language in 24 hours. Not like a crash course. Which I think would be impossable for Lua. Anyway, thanks for your help. I appreciate it! :D

also i recommend u to use notepad++, and read scripts from community for examples (thats how i learnt)

Notepad++ yes - community, no.

Community scripts tend to be absolutely awful - unless your reading from a reputable scripter. Best thing is to learn everything on your own, and ask for help when you need it (and hope a reputable scripter is available here on these forums).