GTA1 and GTA2 Multi

Sutto

Hi, when you guys get some spare time or something it would be good to have GTA1 and GTA2 multi player mods. I know you can already play multiplayer on them (whcih will make it easier to put on a server) but at the moment neither of them have a dedicated server.

Just a suggestion. I'm not the only person who think this is a good idea either, check out this thread.

Edited by Guest

GTA1 and 2 use "DirectPlay" mode, most commonly. This means you have to connect to a person who IS going to enter the game and play, rather than just connecting to a PC or dedicated server where you enter the game at any time.

Additionally, both have hard-coded and extensive (especialy for GTA2) checks to ensure all files are identical. Handling, sprites, maps, mission code...it's all checked. Also, the way it handles multiplayer is to only update the screen for all players once the packets have been transferred to everyone, then it draws the next frame and transfers packets.

Most modern multiplayer doesn't have that control over the game, and so getting rid of it for MTA style gaming would be all but impossible I expect.

I dont care what they do to the lag. I'm saying they could mod the multiplayer system so we can go onto a server and pick some one off a list and talk to them then play them. Instead of having to know the person your playing and arranging a time, you could jsut go on and play who ever is ready. :roll:

Sutton, an MTA tester replied to you and a long-time modifier of the GTA1/2 games replied too. TAKE A GODDAM HINT! :shock:

Sadly, I am not a tester :(

My title is just a wee bit misleading, since SOMEONE forgot to let my try the beta :P:)

Cerbera, just because you have been modding for a long doesn't mean jack shit. And as the guy said he aint even a tester. And it is very possible for them to do so. They obviously dont need to make it lag free. But if it's possible for them to make a VC multiplayer program from nearly nothing, i am sure they are fully capable of making a program for servers to use over the internet!

Cerbera, just because you have been modding for a long doesn't mean jack shit. And as the guy said he aint even a tester. And it is very possible for them to do so. They obviously dont need to make it lag free. But if it's possible for them to make a VC multiplayer program from nearly nothing, i am sure they are fully capable of making a program for servers to use over the internet!

And I suppose your complete ABSENCE of modding experience makes you a better judge somehow? :roll:

I know what I'm talking about; illspirit and I looked through the EXE structure when we were making our final GTA2 projects (his As Yet Untitled Multiplayer Map v0.9™ and my MultiSlayer one) and the program's multiplayer is written with so much explicit controls over what happens...the engine handles multiplayer in completely the reverse manner to how MTAVC does.

Additionally, the MTAVC project isn't a whole new Vice engine which undoes the things Vice tries to do. It's more like a memory hack/plugin which utilises methods which already exist. Kinda like the admin consoles do, understand?

With GTA2 you'd not only need a completely new multiplayer engine, but you'd have to be counter-acting all the syncronisation procedures for animations, civilians, cars, police, ambulance, fire trucks, trains, powerups (etc, etc) which GTA2 would be trying to force.

My absence of modding doesn't make me a better judge. But your modding experience doesn't make you a better judge either.

What im saying is with some work it is possible. And i know a fair few people who would use it if their were one. :roll:

GTA:VC's mulit mod is alot more worth the time then what im talking about but what im saying is it's not impossible, it can be done, and some one should try it. I would if i could, but i cant so i wont.

My absence of modding doesn't make me a better judge. But your modding experience doesn't make you a better judge either.

What im saying is with some work it is possible. And i know a fair few people who would use it if their were one. :roll:

GTA:VC's mulit mod is alot more worth the time then what im talking about but what im saying is it's not impossible, it can be done, and some one should try it. I would if i could, but i cant so i wont.

So, the fact that ill and I looked through the multi code all night a few months back doesn't make me a better judge? :roll:

Give it up. GTA2 isn't worth modding anymore. It's fine as a funky LAN game, to test everything is working, but it's hardly the centrepiece of the party.