How to make game more fair?

bmat

Question

Hello!

Is there any solution how to fix the players' lags? On my server there are many players from South America and they lag. I watched their FPSs but they were normal. Their pings are about 300ms, it's not many I guess. What's the reason in this case? Low speed of internet connection? The solution is really needed.

8 answers to this question

Well, about the ping, if you crash a player on a vehicle, you will see that he will move in 600 m.s. (if you've 300 ping and he 300).

Well, if you are hosting a server with your local server, the problem is, you've a bad internet connection. I have 3 MB and I can host my local server correctly (max 10 players, after that the server starts to lag).

Assuming no one is using a dial-up modem or something, distance is the main cause of lag. I have a pretty decent connection but I get 350-400ms lag on DKR because the server is 17,000km away from me (Australia>Netherlands). So unless you move your server closer to the people, or the people closer to the server, there will always be latency issues.

The biggest factor that affects your ping is how far you are from the server. Saturating your bandwidth will also increase latency (e.g. if you're downloading at the same time).