Best method of importing

Fawxy

We at X-R are working on removing the san andreas map entirely, and replacing it server-side with the vice city map. Our idea is to convert all the vice city objects, and using san andreas object id's. Were not worried about what ID's might be what, as we are completely removing the san andreas map from the server.

Now, looking around at the forums, we see there is a few things that limit our ability to do this. Namely, the LOD issue. Would breaking up the map into smaller pieces fix this issue? We want to know all the answers before beginning the work.

Were not worried about what ID's might be what, as we are completely removing the san andreas map from the server.

You do need to worry about what IDs are what. Some objects are dynamic or have special flag parameters, they can be affected by physics or are breakable, and thus are not practical to be used with object replacement. GTA doesn't care whether you've replaced the object or not, it only cares about the ID and the parameters associated with that ID.

Now, looking around at the forums, we see there is a few things that limit our ability to do this. Namely, the LOD issue. Would breaking up the map into smaller pieces fix this issue?

Indeed lack of LOD support does drastically limit draw distance on custom objects to the 300m stream radius. In some cases it would be better to break up objects (say, a city block) into smaller objects (individual buildings). But in other cases, particularly with large single objects, it is better to keep it in one chunk otherwise one part would be streamed in while other parts of it would be invisible.

We investigated the idea of adding Vice City objects (a couple of the islands and most of Downtown) to our server early last year I think, but there are some problems and limitations to overcome. It may become a more viable project if/when MTA's object replacement is improved further.

That said, there's no reason why you can't have a shot at it yourself, maybe you'll have better luck

or maybe some improvements have already been made in the meantime

Thanks for the heads up. I dont know how the breakable objects slipped my mind. I will be keeping that in mind. I do think that if we break the city up into pieces, we can make this work. I do understand san andreas has 8x the models in-game, but I do wonder how many of those can actually be replaced.

Another thing wrong with this, I believe, is that if we break the map into smaller pieces, we have to align them (which will take a great deal of time). All-in-all, I believe this project can be done. It just may take awhile.

Ywa from left 4 green community find a way to convert a part of a vice city island ot other custom map working on gta single player with all the IDE and other files thingy, very very fast. Dont know how, but you can PM him on the left 4 green community.

Ywa said :

Well, I use a combination of a so called object streamer + GTASA ports of VC/LC.

Then I read the IDE/IPL formats with my tool and it outputs lua files for MTA. Porting a part of the map is only 2 minutes work.

2 minutes omg !!!

why u just dont dowload vice city and then VC:MP

Because MTA:SA has MUCH more scripting power than MTA:VC. We can do much more, and we already have made alot of scripts we dont want to lose.

We have already known about the part of the map thing, and its not quite that easy for the whole map. Its not hard for us to put something small from VC into our map, but were intending on bringing the whole VC map. We cant do that as easily, due to the 300m limit.

yea the limit of streaming need to be increased or a way to use the LOD models and have more MB to download xD.

You will need to wait a year or more to have this feature. :?

A friend that dont know MTA and see me playing this said :

omg ! Objects appear close to you, I told him, yes you are right, you just make me remember.

We at X-R are working on removing the san andreas map entirely, and replacing it server-side with the vice city map. Our idea is to convert all the vice city objects, and using san andreas object id's. Were not worried about what ID's might be what, as we are completely removing the san andreas map from the server.

Now, looking around at the forums, we see there is a few things that limit our ability to do this. Namely, the LOD issue. Would breaking up the map into smaller pieces fix this issue? We want to know all the answers before beginning the work.

Actually, MTA:SA 1.0.5 stream limit won't allow to you to do that... look, I tried the other day to retexture just the roads of San Andreas and I couldn't (mta freezes)... try to imagine a new city :shock:.

Actually, MTA:SA 1.0.5 stream limit won't allow to you to do that... look, I tried the other day to retexture just the roads of San Andreas and I couldn't (mta freezes)... try to imagine a new city :shock:.

Maybe its not a general issue, because I used the GTA SA Single Player Resident Evil retexture files on MTA and it worked fine (I didn't edit my GTA files locally, I really used MTA to stream it to all players).

For that Resident Evil thing, how many TXDs (and objects) are we talking? We had hundreds of objects (and presumably hundreds of TXDs) in our Vice City sections. Perhaps it's not a fundamental failing, but based on a mass quantity? I'd be interested to know how many objects you got replaced without experiencing any of the texture problems the rest of us have had.