.dat modifications

I am querying the MTA Team on the topic of .dat modifications through the server, in other words...

1. Has there been any discussion or possibility of .dat file values that could be imported/loaded when a client joins a server.

2. Are there other possible alternatives to syncing players .dat values?

I am interested in weapons.dat and altering weapon fire, etc.

• Discord Moderators

If this was to be implemented, one has to be extra careful whether it actually resets the dat files when a client leaves a server, in all cases.

Sometimes txd replacements doesn't reset, and I believe the .dat files doesn't contain only visual modifications.

There won't be support to directly edit .dat files, but ther could be interfacing functions instead- For example, right now you can also modify the handling, but you don't modify it through the .dat file, but through the handling functions.

For example, right now you can also modify the handling, but you don't modify it through the .dat file, but through the handling functions.

Obviously. Hence why I included this thread. Will those functions be considered in the near future?

There are currently more important things to do. If you however find someone to work on it the chances of it being finished earlier (while also usually getting support when stuck) is much higher. So if you know how to code in C or if you know someone else who is just go ahead. MTA is open source for a reason.

Bear in mind that this kind of implementation will require some reverse engineering. GTA only loads .dat files once, so in order for this to work successfully you'll have to not only patch the location of the .dat file, but ensure it is reloaded when that resource requests it should be.

I can do the easy work and write up a CDatManager and RPC, etc. I don't really understand the hooking process so this code could just get saved and kept until a later date, when someone has the time to play with it.

And after looking through all the .dat's, there's only a few which really could be edited ( weapons, carmods, objects ). The rest seem too specific to really benefit from ( surfaces, surface sounds ).