A point in the right direction

Hello MTA commuity.

I am switching over to MTA from SA-MP and looking to learn the basics of LUA scripting. If anyone could point me in the right direction I would be very grateful.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Edit: I think this topic may be in the wrong section, if it could be moved it would be appreciated.

Its Lua not LUA because Lua doesn't stand for anything, its portugese for moon.

The first two links above are the place to start and learn Lua, then when you have a good understanding move onto the MTA side of things.

The correct section would be Scripting, but well, there are many people posting things like "HELP MY SCRIPT NOT WORKING", so I think this is a better section for post things like this, but if your script isn't working you can go to the Scripting section :wink:

Hey, I was like you, I switched from SAMP to MTA..

Use the Wiki at all times, it really helps you out alot, that's how I did practically understand everything from LUA.

Anyways, knowing PAWN it will make you some things easier, so don't waste that knowlodge.

If Wiki couldn't help you, the forum is the best choice then, and always try to make your own scripts.

If you need some help, feel free to ask!

Good luck! :wink:

Make your own gamemode/resource, the fastest way, it doesn't need to be very complex... let's just say that you want to make bus driver missions around los santos placing markers and stations all around the map. How do you start? Take a look on wiki.multitheftauto.com, make a list of what you need (markers functions/events, money functions/elements, etc)... and learn from examples and if it gives you errors don't stop, try to make it work or if the resource is totally a fail, remake it... learn from your mistakes. If you don't understand something feel free to post on forums.