New gamemode "Cops And Robbers" needs testing.

loop

Question

Hi everyone.

I've recently created a first version of a gamemode that has been in my head for a while. It is a cops and robbers mode where one person spawns in a car and everyone else is spawned in cop cars (the vehicles used are determined by the map creator) and they have to chase down the robber. The map creator can also place random respawn points for the cops and the server will spawn the cop at the nearest point to the robber. Upon the death of the robber a new round is started with one of the cops swapping places with the robber.

It is very beta and needs lots of testing still. There are probably a ton of features that need to be added to really improve it as well. With that in mind me and a group of my friends will be having a testing session Friday evening (20:00 british time) on the server tangledwires.dyndns.org:22003 (or 92.239.196.102:22003 if that isn't working) if anyone wishes to join us.

You can get the cops and robbers resource at http://demo.hatsoffsoftware.co.uk/copsandrobbers.zip

There is an example map at http://demo.hatsoffsoftware.co.uk/car-los-santos-pd.zip

The code is pretty ugly and I know there are plenty of bugs in it. If you find anything or have any suggestions or questions please put them in the thread.

Thank you.

4 answers to this question

This sounds good, the only example of a cops and robbers game i have played was not very thought out and got boring after a while.

I look forward to testing this with you on friday.

Have got many people interested??

Well the LAN went ok. A few bugs were identified with joining mid round but I should have fixed them now. I've also locked the server so in theory the game mode should be fixed but map votes can be initiated still. Also the game mode should detect when everyone has had a turn as the robber and automatically load another map.

The next "official" LAN will be on the first of July. Probably all evening and in to the night. One of my brothers has created an air chase map for it so that should be interesting.

I'll try to leave the server up and running (look for "Loop's Cops And Robbers") but it destroys my connection if the server gets busy so I might have to turn it off every now and then.