Adopt-a-Resource: Update Abandoned Community Scripts

Ransom

You've Heard of Adopt-a-Highway right? Well this is sorta like that.

There are some great resources on the community center that continue to get downloaded and confuse people when they fail to work. You can't do anything about it even if you wanted to, because you can't upload the fixed version right? We see a lot of resource duplication but this is a big no-no. Example: "mabako-services" --> "new_mabako-services".

If you want to fix anything and you link it here we will update the resource and credit you for upgrading it to be compatible with MTA. You will not be given authorship (which would give you resource control rights) but you will be mentioned in the description and the version comment.

Rules:

1. PATCHES ARE CRITICAL FIXES ONLY (exceptions based on situation and author's usage terms). You may not alter the resource to add new features or do anything beyond what is necessary to make the script work like it should.

2. Only abandoned and outdated resources. Lets say anything that hasn't been updated for around a year and is currently spewing errors on MTA.

3. No updating of resources that cause conflict with project goals of MTA. A prime example would be unofficial map editors. Spend your energy helping us improve the editor and other MTA projects on Mantis instead.

Patches:

Interstate69

RC-Battle

mabako-services (new_mabako-services merged)

sinkingship

disco

maze generator

Transformers

rollercoaster

Resources Menu (YAML)

Tornado

Umm... Seems I just "adopted" mabako-services.

What do you mean big no-no? :P

Well I did a little improvement which does not really affect how it works which are:

- Opening the Pay & Spray garage.

- Add a staff ped inside fast foods (just for a little quality :))

- Adding help.xml so people won't get confused.

And, I broke rule number 1? :|

Sheesh. In the beginning I was a bit excited, so my manner of writing in that resource was bad.

Now I fixed the info,it looks better. :)

Please forgive me Ransom. :(

Umm... Seems I just "adopted" mabako-services.

What do you mean big no-no? :P

Well I did a little improvement which does not really affect how it works which are:

- Opening the Pay & Spray garage.

- Add a staff ped inside fast foods (just for a little quality :))

- Adding help.xml so people won't get confused.

And, I broke rule number 1? :|

Sheesh. In the beginning I was a bit excited, so my manner of writing in that resource was bad.

Now I fixed the info,it looks better. :)

Please forgive me Ransom. :(

The fault lies with the current community center, which is being replaced sometime. It is not designed to handle patches by people other than the author or language translations. Also, the rules behind free-to-modify resources are sketchy. Say you have something like freeroam, which we have seen lots of spin-offs.

Anyway, my point was that we CAN handle patching scripts instead of people trying to do _xtra-new-mabako_services(premium)-v2 and such. If you want to patch something up, let us know and we'll just patch the resource itself.

Your case can be exceptioned, as there is no other update, it otherwise does not work, and mabako is pretty free spirited with building on his work. The feature additions sound fine.

Edit: I will change rule 1 to add: (exceptions based on situation and author's usage terms)

Edited by Guest

Excuse the double post but I wanted people to know that Slothman and I have repaired interstate69 to working status. All gameplay balancing was of my hand, so pitchforks at me for that if you don't like it. This is an exception to rule 1 as it is an MTAQA resource and we reserve the right to fix them as needed.

This will be the only update to interstate69 unless a critical problem arises. It needs to be rethought "as an addon to race mode", in Talidan's words, which I agree with.

Patched by Ransom and Slothman to make it work with MTA 1.0.4

MAKE SURE YOU DOWNLOAD i69-vehicles AGAIN, when you hit download it will ask.

v1.0.1

A few needed changes:

*Spawn protection is now portrayed by a semi-visible vehicle, not a marker

*Reload bars fixed

*Unbalanced mines and non-working heatseeker for bus removed (download i69-vehicles again!)

*Molotov now throws 5 in a row so it stands a chance against 1-hit-kill missiles

*4x and 8x SAM nerfed to 2x and 4x SAM for balance and projectile limit. Only the elegy can use 2x SAM and only bus can use 4x SAM

*Spammy typing noise reduced to 3 clicks per line

v1.0.2

Fixed debug errors caused by a lack of checking. Not all of them but mostly.

Download:

https://community.multitheftauto.com/ind ... ails&id=32

EDIT: Also patched RC-Battle https://community.multitheftauto.com/ind ... ails&id=40

Oh well, that means I didn't broke the rules then!

Now I don't need to recreate anything else, except for what I have done.

*Edit: Hmm, you suspended the new_mabako-services and given authorship in mabako-services. Means I upload a newer version there then.

Now I taken those images, you can suspend it now. I'm ready to move. :)

Anyway, thanks very much for fixing interstate69! Good to see the exclusive MTA:DM gamemode re-created for a newer version.

Fix more, and every players of the older days will be happy!

To Ransom and Slothman: I give you an old video of the MTA days. Interstate69 was an exclusive gamemode at that time.

The next update that you can see in the end, is it implemented yet?

If not, you should implement that. The object rotates following the direction of your mouse.

Edited by Guest

Nice video, I forgot about the old interstate69 GUI. Lucifer has moved on permanently from MTA I'm pretty sure. Many of our brilliant scripters have been whimsical and move on after a year or two... must be some mad scientist boredom disease as they rarely like actually playing the game.

*Edit: Hmm, you suspended the new_mabako-services and given authorship in mabako-services. Means I upload a newer version there then.

Now I taken those images, you can suspend it now. I'm ready to move.

Yes, I was tired and it was getting too late so I held off last night. I was going to upload your versions to the other but if you just want the most recent then fine. Comments are accessible still (in a manner of speaking) through the new comment section.

edit: Note I have also modified your thread name [REL] mabako-services (Patching by XX3)

The tutorial was erased from the MTA SA. Though I can get it in the past, it is already outdated.

Anyway, can you recreate this? The "you picked up ..." only, as the rest, there is already a better ones.

And for the red text telling double kills and so on, can you recreate this with cool effects?

I'm not sure where this is? Why do you want it? This is basically a precursor to deathmessages (comes with MTA).

Forget about the "tutorial" part. :P

For the mabako-services, I uploaded the most recent version over there. I already did that hours before you reply. You go suspend or delete my new_mabako-services. Means I'm now merged with mabako-services from now on.

*Edit: I saw my older resource was deleted now. By your little edit, everybody should notice the update of that resource.

I will be handling the resource, until mabako comes and tells that he returns, Then you can pull me off the authorship of that resource.

Thanks Ransom, sure my work was worth it. :D

Did you noticed the ones at the beginning, it was named Dance. Resource was up to date, but was still buggy and incomplete.

Now, can you remake the dance script?

I ever asked Talidan for some fix for this, but he couldn't do that (or doesn't have free time), neither can I.

I asked Talidan through PM a while ago:

http://pastebin.com/jDP5ywqe

(The forum link: viewtopic.php?f=91&t=25460)

I was really hoping anyone, including you to be able to fix and complete this resource.

Talidan would be happy to see anyone complete the dance resource.

Feature requests from me:

1. Dance Battle (by inviting one or more people and maximum 8 people on one battle, plus with ranking)

2. Top 5 or 10 scores for each songs

3. GUI to select songs

4. Easier and better song creator

5. Lowrider mode (The same, but with Numpad buttons and inside a vehicle desired by the user)

6. Combo system (with bonus per amount of combos desired by the user)

7. Camera placing for dancing (find out on many dance games)

8. Spectator for the dance.

To start remaking, please press this link --> http://dan.bastage.net/mta/dance.zip

Good luck ;)

OMG This is perfect for what I had in mind. Anyone remember the object browser script? It has sort of died out in the DP days and doesn't really work with 1.X clients now. I took it among myself to update it and restore it to full functionality. It now shows you the object and spins and everything. The only problem is it still seems to spew errors into the debug, but regardless it seems to work flawlessly.

I just don't know how to attach it here. Someone tell me how and I will edit my post with the download.

Since most people I have asked say they would rather use the built in map editor I guess there wouldn't be much sense in uploading the fixed script.

Does anyone here remember a script called "offedit"?

Til this day I use that script to make my maps. I don't know why but I just never really liked the built in editor. I also like the ability of getting pen point accuracy object placement. Of course its all command based but I got used to it long ago. This is also a script I've updated to work with 1.x.

Since most people I have asked say they would rather use the built in map editor I guess there wouldn't be much sense in uploading the fixed script.

Does anyone here remember a script called "offedit"?

Til this day I use that script to make my maps. I don't know why but I just never really liked the built in editor. I also like the ability of getting pen point accuracy object placement. Of course its all command based but I got used to it long ago. This is also a script I've updated to work with 1.x.

Its been our stance not to promote the spin-off editors and this falls under that category. Albeit an obscure way, it bumps it back up to recent resources and promotes more downloading. They all have few features in comparison and require much more work to get what you want done. I'm not sure how you can stand using a bunch of commands to build a map?

More importantly, they are not designed to work with the big picture of MTA (the editor definition files). Also, It is very irksome to see offedit sitting in the top downloads for our scripters working on the MTA map editor. So I hope you can understand its like shooting developers in the foot and discourages them from working on it.

It would be much more productive if people who routinely use the map editor could voice complaints on Mantis or talk to us on IRC. A map editor 2.0 release will be in the feature as you can see from the Road Map

I will add the same notice I did in the mapping and scripting tools sticky, "Any resources in development that cause conflict with project goals of MTA will not be included. A prime example would be unofficial map editors."

Ransom, have you read my previous post? First page. :|

That was for me specifically ? I'm just not interested, I don't see much demand for it and personally I just don't care for it. Like Talidan said it is not in need of an update, it needs development because it doesn't work well in the first place. Also it lacks needed features as you say. You're pretty much asking me to develop a resource here.

All right then. I didn't really force you to do it either. It's your choice.

Wow, Tornado? now there's something else that causes havoc.

Well I had a word with Talidan about it and he just didn't think our audio functions were suited for it.

On side note I seem to have forgot to mention that Transformers has been released

• 4 months later...