Call me a n00b, call me an idiot, but please help me!

Guest Andy

Trying to run LAN MTA:VC. Have set up the server, am trying to run the client, but have no idea what to type in the 'Host' box! (I tried localhost but that didn't work). I have read the FAQ, I've read the manual, but I really can't understand what I'm meant to do.

Some help would be much appreciate.

Thanks a lot.

A. Noob

27 Moron Street

Noobsville

Republic of Noobs

that's certainly odd... well, at least you're connecting to the server. I'm not too sure what to do about the 'timed out...' thing... I haven't been reading the forums much lately, so I'm not certain what the fix is for that, or if there IS one.

But you are connecting to the server.

first open the command promt on the machine that is running the dedicated server. type in "ipconfig" (without the quotes) and see what your ip is (it will say local area connection 1.....) then type that into the host box of the client. Also is the server running on the same machine or a different one?

The server is running on the first computer, and I can log onto this server on the first computer. I can't log on to it from the second computer, but I'll try your suggestion.

Cheers mate

Andy

Hi kazaauser247,

Thanks for your tip, the IP address finder in the command prompt worked great. I can now get the host computer and the client computer to log onto the server. Trouble is, I start Vice City, start a new game and then everything goes black. So I ALT+TAB to see what the problem is, and there's an error message reading:

Unhandled execption: c 0000005

At address: 004b557

What on earth that means, I have no idea!

Andy

Oops, sorry, I've worked that one out now! Okay, so we are both in the game. The host can see the client player, but the client player can neither see me in the game or on the map!

This is rather surreal...

Andy

What you did wrong before is that you entered localhost in both computers... which is why only one computer connected. You fixed that problem. Now for the unhandled exception error, try changing your version to 1.1 or vice versa in the mta client. Next about you not seeing the other player. Ok so you are both connected right? Have you tried chatting and seeing if it worked or not? (Chat with 'T' and type and press enter). Also are you both the same characters on both computers. For example if you are both the swat guy then that is a common problem that usually can be solved by starting a new game, restarting the computer or reconnecting to the server.... try some of those things..