Is there interest in a good Role-play server?

wasd

Would you be interested in a good role-play server? I'm asking this because the experience on the only major MTA RP server leaves allot to be desired.

I'm thinking up plans for a server as I write this, the actual script isn't an issue, I could turn paradise-rp into something I could use in a few hours.

Anyway, here is how this server would be different to Valhalla:

1) Character progression would not be measured almost entirely by wealth as it is on Valhalla, and your character is resricted by not having any money, so your only option is to RP a poor guy with no car.

There would be some sort of system that would both actively and passively award you for playing on the server, maybe something like the level system you see on SA-MP, but with some modifications to reward players actively.

In my experience, the fun of RP alone isn't enough to keep people playing, however deep and interesting that RP might be.

2) The police faction would play a much lesser role, and members would be permitted much more freedom with their characters, so that interesting and rewarding role-plays can arise.

On Valhalla and SA-MP, the police faction seems only to be rewarding for the members of the faction, and not for others. There is little potential to have an interesting interaction with them, because their only goal appears to be to throw you in jail. Cops will gladly put you in a jail cell and tell you "for the next 30 minutes, you cannot play this game, and its your fault for breaking the IC rules". This is just ridiculous, your pretty much being punished OOC because of the path you chose to take with your character.

3) You wont be jailed for stupid reasons

Lets take an example: Your RPing with someone and as part of that RP you end up in a fist-fight with someone, they are winning, so you decide to run away. As your running, an admin suddenly jail you for "failure to RP your injuries". What the admin perceived to be against the rules did not affect anyone except you and the guy you where RPing with, but they decide your not allowed to carry on, because, you know, to them its more important people follow rules to the letter, than that players have fun.

4) A CK will be something agreed upon by both sides.

Its your character, you should decided when his story ends, not someone else. Forcing a CK on someone because the guy who wrote the rules decided that it was ok to not give the other party a choice is about as bad as powergaming gets. I guess you could give free stat transfers so that people are not too attached to their characters, its not an ideal solution, but its a hell of allot better than selling them for real world money.

5) The desire for realism should not get in the way of RP

Things like needing a drivers license is just stupid, going through some scripted test to get a drivers license just gets in the way of RP, and are pointless.

I found a post on the Valhalla forum that sums up my thinking allot better than my above moans, so I will go ahead and quote it:

I really don't see how we expect people's level of RP to improve if they are restricted to be like robots. When you look at other factions they are not bound by a corruption rule unless it is something outrageous that threatens their faction, thats all i am proposing for the PD, to be treated the same as any other faction. I think people let their pessmistic side prevail over reason and logic, they treat people like little kids to try and keep them in line, if you lead by example and show them what you can and cannot do by punishing accordingly then you will be better for it. I'm talking in terms of RP quality which has knock on effects to the rest of the community. From personal experience, corruption within the PD can be managed without imposing a non corruption rule, only those who have been in the PD before know it can work and how hypocritical and silly the non corruption rule is atm.

Do you really expect officers within the PD to throw away all their training and discipline, to start opening fire on the streets with military grade weapons just because corruption is allowed? Firstly that is an insult to every Pd faction member on their RPing ability, to say that everyone would abandon everything they worked for to get some corruption thrills is just not true and sounds like a poor attempt at fear mongering. From my experience nearly every member of the PD is highly disciplined and motivated, they have to be in order to make it through the vigorous training standards and the multitude of hoops. Those who don't cut it, get cut out, i'm not saying they don't make mistakes but everyone does and those that do are punished just the same. I think the same pessimism and the reluctance to take chances is what is stifling the server, rules on top of more rules, there will always be noobs, thats what you have admins for, but you will never get great rpers if you don't allow them freedom, both to make mistakes and to create interesting RP. We were all once noobs before, those who prevailed to be good rpers are those who learnt their lessons, who stay true to their RP characters and who show good judgement in the face of difficult questions.

However, there is no point going ahead with this if nobody cares, so, please reply if you agree with me in some way, so I know if this idea is worth following through.

Edited by Guest
another real-life server? :/, valhalla is already a good real-life rpg server, and there is many others trying to follow it, anyway maybe if you create something "unique".

Role-play, not real-life. In the traditional sense of the word, role-play doesn't need to have anything to do with real-life or realism, if I wanted to I could role-play an ork in middle-earth, but GTA RP is a bit different because most people don't actually understand the concepts of RP and settle for a-little-bit-crap RP where nobody has any creativity.

@Castillo -

Obviously roleplay is enjoyable to alot of people if it is one of the biggest contributors to the SA-MP/MTA community. Valhalla was the flagship of MTA Deathmatch/1.0 for a while until the admin team became revolved around corruption.

Alot of people prefer roleplay servers because you can actually do something that doesn't get repetitive rather than stunting or deathmatching all the time. I was mayor pro tem on Valhalla and I wouldn't be able to imagine any other way the mayor job would work out. Most of my job was meeting with my Middle-High Council (police/fire chief, district judge, etc.), hiring councilors, managing housing projects and passing local laws. How would you do this job on an RPG server - one where people obviously don't follow the law in the first place, where people can just jump from criminal to cop in a matter of minutes?

Same with being a cop. I played SANL for a couple weeks (holy deathmatch...) and all the cops did there was chase after people. If you were in a car, they'd follow you from behind and shoot at you. If you were on foot, all they had to do was run after you and hit you with a nightstick. But me being a "veteran" roleplay cop, I've dealt with alot of things. From things as volatile as hostage situations to things as pointless as getting called to a restaurant over one guy stealing food from another guy's plate.

The point I'm trying to make is that people turn to roleplay because it's not the same damn thing over and over again.

And there's a difference between RP and RPG. RP is that "real-life roleplay" stuff that you hate. RPG is completely different - it's like SANL, SAES, et cetera; where you "take on the role" of a character but you do not actually act as that character; instead you play as the script has it laid out. RP actually takes creativity, whereas RPG involves alot more skill and luck and is much less interactive.

~~~~~~~

@OP -

All of these ideas seem to completely collapse the idea of roleplay to begin with. To me, that honestly sounds like SARP, which is undoubtedly the worst roleplay server there is.

#2 - Obviously you can't have a roleplay server without laws. I do actually agree that having to sit there for 30 minutes is stupid. I have a solution for this but I'm not going to share it because it's going to be implemented in my server.

#3 - You get jailed for these "stupid reasons" for a good reason. Driving like a moron will end up with you or someone else dying in real life. Obviously if you get in a fight and you're getting hit all over the place you're going to be hurt. You don't have to roleplay walking away with a million broken bones. These rules are enforced because different people have different tolerance for rules being broken against them. To one guy it's "k, you dmed me. i died. i'm fine with a pk, it's all in the game". To another guy it's "you're a moron and a 12 year old, you need to read the rules because I'm actually trying to roleplay here". This is why servers have rules, so that people know how to behave. If they let you get away with it once, you're obviously going to do it again

#4 - Alot of people see CKs as no big deal, but even so I can't agree with you. If it has to be agreed with by both sides obviously the one who will be CKed won't agree.

#5 - Roleplay should be based very heavily on realism. Otherwise, you're just creating a lawless society where anyone can make a name for themself with no work. It happened with Valhalla because they felt realism isn't necessary.

All of these ideas seem to completely collapse the idea of roleplay to begin with. To me, that honestly sounds like SARP, which is undoubtedly the worst roleplay server there is.

I've never heard of SA:RP, unless you mean the original SA:RP, which I highly doubt.(The original SA:RP was the first RP server for SA:MP, some members from WSX including myself broke off in early 2006 and formed our own server, we later recruited Hubert aka fear and made the Godfather server, that was allot of fun to be part of when it happened, but looking back, our standards of RP where very low, but we didn't give a shit, having 30,000 accounts and Sam Houser referring to the concepts of our server as "a very compelling proposition" was enough)

#2 - Obviously you can't have a roleplay server without laws. I do actually agree that having to sit there for 30 minutes is stupid. I have a solution for this but I'm not going to share it because it's going to be implemented in my server.

You could have if a role-play server without laws, if you happened to be role-playing a lawless society, however San Andreas is, for the most part, grounded in reality to some extent, so your probably going to end up RPing a society based on a real one.

I have a solution for this but I'm not going to share it because it's going to be implemented in my server.

I doesn't take a genius to solve a simple problem like this, you are probably only hiding what everyone else is thinking.

#3 - You get jailed for these "stupid reasons" for a good reason.

As you have made clear, you are fully aware of how corrupt Valhalla admins are. I guess I didn't make my point fully clear in my original post, it was basically a jab at valhalla admins. Some of the admins on Valhalla bend the rules for their own gain, for example, there is an admin chasing you whose char is also a cop, one of your tires gets poped, and you continue on. You are then jailed for "not RPing a tire pop". The problem here is the game does a decent simulation of popped tires, and driving on a popped tire in SA is pretty damn hard, but the admin will instantly jail you because you did not stop your car immediately.

#4 - Alot of people see CKs as no big deal, but even so I can't agree with you. If it has to be agreed with by both sides obviously the one who will be CKed won't agree.

Any good role-player will think about the consequences of the actions they take with their character, they won't do something that will get them CKed, if they don't want to get CKed. A good role-player will not give a shit about one single character, they will take a CK as an opportunity to create a new character, its an opportunity to come up with more stories and new situations, why would people take that as a bad thing?

#5 - Roleplay should be based very heavily on realism. Otherwise, you're just creating a lawless society where anyone can make a name for themself with no work. It happened with Valhalla because they felt realism isn't necessary.

NO NO NO NOO

it never happened with valhalla because their obsession with realism was one of their downfalls.

Just because a society you create is not completely realistic, does not mean its a society where "anyone can create a name for themself with no work". WHAT THE F ARE YOUR SAYING? That there is only two types of possible society in this world? Grow a brain mate.

You could have a server where the everyone RPed they where part of a totalitarian, authoritarian, communist, liberal, anarchist or any other type of society you can think of. They would probably all be more interesting, more involved and more fun than RPing you where in modern-day america.

I hope I don't offend you by saying this mate, but you are really thick, please, think before you say things that don't make sense.

I just wanted to say on the note of CK's, that I personally don't like the idea of forced CK's and never actively stayed on an RP server that enforced them. I know that, if left to their own devices, people will CK themselves or come up with similar mechanisms in a large enough quantity to justify not mandating it. In full honesty, its like rping fighting through /do Sucess or Fail, it leads to a more courteous society. People won't get into OOC debates about whether a CK was legitimate, and overall doesn't ruin people's playing time.

Hello. I just wanted to inform all of you that there is a new roleplay server coming up with advanced script which has more benefits and realism than the Valhalla Gaming MTA script. The project has been up for several months now and the current development consists of around ten people, including the ex-Valhalla MTA Owner Daniels. The essental part of the Community is that player's opinions and suggestions are gladly taken and any kind of feedback is always appreciated. For more information see www.vedicgaming.com/forums (note that the mainsite is still under construction as the person who is taking care of the websites is currently away for awhile)

• 4 weeks later...

Yeah, Vedic Gaming is a great community interested in the future of Roleplay and letting players choose where they want to play un like Valhalla gaming where if you want to play else where you get abused reported and banned from their server and blacklisted from their community, even if you don't know how to roleplay we will teach you instead of jailing and warning you on sight... like others.