ways to stop cheating...

Ahhchuu

what about making armor, health, and ammo all server side? this might help cut down on trainer use....

also, on the jetpack / teleport trainer... have a scan or somthing that checks the players position.. and if it jumps to places more than say... 50 units away... it kicks them.. have it disable when the person dies also...

much like VAC (Valve Anti Cheat) you could have the client... i suppose if possible the server. scan the memory for differences. you would have to have a way to require the client be the same...

some might not happen.. but i dunno

sonner or later i'd hope a lot of stuff to be done server side since anything on the client allows you to cheat if most of its done on the client. you can make movement server side as well which can remove the jetpack trainer problem.

I'm familiar with Half-Lifes engine, and how it does most of its netcode, it's one of the best netcodes I believe :) since no trainers have any effect even without anti-cheat programs.

as far as i know a wall hack can work on gta. there are many other things that hacks can do. exspecially for counterstrike as its the most hacked game in the world. wallhack speedhack various ESP like names and guns and w/e you want can be shown. most hacks even have winamp integration :)

I don't see what the advantages of a wall hack in GTA 3 will do though, it will just be crap for those that use it, seeing things through walls, will probably make them lag + think there are cars in front of them that are in walls. Tbh you've already got a sortof wall hack with third person view anyway since you can peer round corners without anyone seeing you.

1. why the hell do you need a wallhack, you'll only see garbage and flipped poligons inside of the buildings (you'll see nothing but empty space)

2. we're already building in some prevention against cheating..

i don't have much experiance with messing with other programs memory, but i remember reading about some hidden functions in the vb dll, and that required that the memory was 'unprotected' or something to be able to use these functions, so i'm assuming you can 'protect' the memory range so no otehr programs can view/edit apart from mta?

... in NT arn't some of the system services uneditable/unviewable?

if gta is run independantly from mta i don't think you could do what i was thinking, but if its run from mta, i'm sure you can assign a handle to it or whatever its called and lock the memory ranges for mta client and gta so only they can alter them..

as far as i know a wall hack can work on gta. there are many other things that hacks can do. exspecially for counterstrike as its the most hacked game in the world. wallhack speedhack various ESP like names and guns and w/e you want can be shown. most hacks even have winamp integration :)

Dont forget how easily customizable/makeable they are! vecs....scripts....binds.....menus are the easiest. But even farther is coding and compiling your own dll's! now thats where the hacker vs hacker competition has gone ( trust me I know this ;) )