Pedestrians in mta.

Guest DoctoRx Jesus

there's another game with similar gameplay to gta3 that came out in '98 or '99 called carmaggeddon. it had pedestrians in mutiplayer, but depended on tracking the 500 or so of them on the map individually rather than a random number generator and had this work in multiplayer quite well, i think it's only a matter of cutting the fat out of the engine to get peds in multiplayer working.

a client side mod could plot out points for peds in the game and have them move in set cycles, respawning when killed run over shot etc at set points. I suppose this could be done for cars as well, saving the need for tracking them on the server. the behaviors would be the same on both machines untill a player or actor on the other end interfered, the end result would be the same on both ends proballly only requiring individual peds being looked at for a second or two.

i don't know exactly how much bandwidth syncing peds takes up, but i think i know a better way.

dont sync up peds. instead, just remove any physics and damage code from the peds, so you can run them down without it effecting your car's path or damage your car at all. this way, you could still have fun mowing down peds, but there is no lag. only drawback is that other players can't see the carnage that you created. But if the next release has bug-free traffic and peds without lagging everything to a crawl, then just forget what i said.

I suggested this in the last forums, but no one responded to my post. oh well.

• 5 weeks later...

it is very important that there be peds. what would gta be without the mindless sloughter of thousands of inecent peds?i think that if the server was running the game and all the peds locations where loaded at once than the server could send info to the clients about where te peds are in the clients location.this should be done with the cars too. the car and ped spawning would have to be recoded but it would be worth it.if its too lagy than you could make the peds code simpler by making them collide with less thing(only players and player cars and the map).

bottom line is that gta3 needs peds.