Vote for a fair, fast and non-discriminating serverlist

Glo

Should the serverlist be randomized and should non-existing servers be deleted from the list?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Should the serverlist be randomized and should non-existing servers be deleted from the list?

• Yes, the current list is unfair. We should randomize the list, so all servers have equal chances. We should also delete non-existing servers from the list, because that speeds up the server browser.
    • No, the current list is unfair. We should not randomize the list, unfair listing is ok. We should not delete non-existing servers from the list, we want the server browser take as long as possible to list all servers.
    • Honestly, i think the current server list works just fine. It has enough options for users to find the server they would like the most.

Little suggestion: lock this topic before the flame wars are on.

I personally disagree with this, the serverlist is just fine, because you can tune the filtering the way you want, so if someone wants to join a certain server, they can search for it.

Otherwise the servers are just not original enough, or its popularity is just plain rubbish.

If your server is empty, and down the list, and you are upset, deal with it, get yourself a life on eBay and try to forget, not everybody has successful servers.

Randomizing the server list is not the answer. As mentioned by others, with 500 servers, any 'page 1' snowball effect would be be diluted and lost. Having said that, there are a couple of things we could do to improve the lot of new server owners:

1. Reduce the time it takes for servers to be scanned in the server browser. (This is being addressed in the next nightly)

2. Assist (somehow) in the promotion of new (or interesting) servers

Why is randomization of the serverlist not the answer? And why is discrimination the answer, according to you? I advice the MTA team to stop discriminate people based on marks.

Little suggestion: lock this topic before the flame wars are on.

I personally disagree with this, the serverlist is just fine, because you can tune the filtering the way you want, so if someone wants to join a certain server, they can search for it.

Otherwise the servers are just not original enough, or its popularity is just plain rubbish.

If your server is empty, and down the list, and you are upset, deal with it, get yourself a life on eBay and try to forget, not everybody has successful servers.

Stop trying to wire the opposition's mouth! This poll isn't getting closed just because you see the opposition gets most votes. You're accusing me of things without giving facts. Tell me what is "fine" about the serverlist discriminating new servers?

Absolutely nobody would agree with discrimination UNLESS you benefit from it yourself. I bet that's the case with all of the protestors out here. If not, tell me why discrimination is absolutely fine.

Stop trying to wire the opposition's mouth! This poll isn't getting closed just because you see the opposition gets most votes. You're accusing me of things without giving facts. Tell me what is "fine" about the serverlist discriminating new servers?

Absolutely nobody would agree with discrimination UNLESS you benefit from it yourself. I bet that's the case with all of the protestors out here. If not, tell me why discrimination is absolutely fine.

I am not accusing you of anything, i am just sharing my opinion here, and you just seem to be very upset that i do so, sir you need to keep your anger a little to yourself.

And i am not discriminating anything, i am just giving my opinion and advice, i never said to take anything as seriously as you do.

I am not accusing you of anything, i am just sharing my opinion here, and you just seem to be very upset that i do so, sir you need to keep your anger a little to yourself.

And i am not discriminating anything, i am just giving my opinion and advice, i never said to take anything as seriously as you do.

If what you're going to write shouldn't be labeled as serious you better not write at all. You can do non-serious things at very many other places.

And you still haven't given me the answer on my question. Can you do that now or do you still have to think of a big story to get around the real problem, like Mr. Telepath does?

If what you're going to write shouldn't be labeled as serious you better not write at all. You can do non-serious things at very many other places.

And you still haven't given me the answer on my question. Can you do that now or do you still have to think of a big story to get around the real problem, like Mr. Telepath does?

Well, i find discriminating a very big word for a game for gods sake, you are taking a game a little too seriously in my opinion, but back to your little question there.

There is nothing "fine" about it, but filtering is a great option, and since a lot of people use this great option wisely, i dont see this as such a big problem.

Ok, I want to ask everybody who voted "yes" to cease all actions and just await what presents the MTA team has got for us in the next version (the faster serverbrowser, for instance). The threat alert will be at normal level soon.

If you've never used Server before, or if you've used MTA 3D, this section should familiarize you with Server's basic navigation and features.

The following steps will take you on a step-by-step tour of Server. By the time you're done reading it, you'll be launching games and building up your buddies list like a pro.

PS: if you get hung up at any step along the way, feel free to visit our forums, where you can submit questions and receive help from our admins or from other users. If you're still having trouble, please refer to our other support pages.

Server's main navigation

The navigation bar's top buttons.

If you mouse over a person's name, a small window will appear, displaying: nickname, latency (ping), and what games you have in common with them (very handy if you're looking for someone to join a game). If you right click on their name, a list of options should appear (unless they're an admin or special guest). You can get their player info (if they've decided to make it public), an option to add them to your Playerplayer list, or you can "mute" them, meaning that you can shut off their comments in your chat window (this is a great feature if someone is spewing tons of annoying comments into the chat room that you just don't want to bother reading).

The Navigation Bar: On the left-hand side of the software, you'll find a navigation bar that includes several features. At the top, you'll find the following buttons:

* Home: Takes you to Server Daily and the main chat channel.

* Servers: Opens the home page for MTA's cheat-free Arena game servers

* Files: Takes you to FilePlanet.com, the 'net's largest game file download utility.

* Demos: Opens Demoplayer, Server's unique demo download utility.

* Chat: Takes you to MTA Server's chat rooms -- you can't play games here, but you can use a microphone to voice chat with other Server users.

If you are reading this nonsense then I am impressed.

The navigation tabs

Below the top buttons are a series of tabs. Opening the Games tabs shows you what games you available to play in Server.

* Arena: Naviagtes you to MTA's online competition system, MTA Arena

Below this, you'll find expandable tabs that open into menus to help you navigate through Server's different chat channels, staging areas and other sites.

* The My Games tab - probably the thing you'll be most interested in. Clicking on this will open a menu of all the games you currently have installed on your machine that Server supports.

If you don't see a game listed that you know you have installed, check out our section on adding games to find out how to correct this. Clicking on a game's icon will take you into the chat room / staging area for the game, from which you can join a game or launch one yourself.

* Parlor Games will allow you to play the many free parlor games (Backgammon, Hearts, Poker, Chess and the like) that come bundled with Server.

Playerplayer

Playerplayer tracks your buddies and allows you to send them instant messages.

Playerplayer: In the uppermost right hand corner of the software, you'll notice a small star icon. Click it. This will open up Playerplayer, Server's buddy-finding / tracking tool. Player player allows you to keep track of all your friends who use Server. Once you've added someone to your buddy list (see the above item on the chat room occupant listing), you can use Playerplayer to send instant messages and keep track of where your pals are playing.

The coolest thing about Playerplayer is that, whenever someone from your buddy list is in Server, Playerplayer will tell you where they're at. Below their name on your Playerplayer buddy list, you'll see the name of the chat room or game that they're currently inhabiting. It gets better -- clicking on the room / game name will take you to wherever your buddy is. If they're playing a game that you have, Server will automagically fire up the game and drop you into the server they're playing on.

On a more basic level, in the chat rooms / game staging areas, Server will affix a little magnifying glass icon to servers that your budiies are currently playing on. All of this is designed to make it quick and easy for you to hook up with your friends, regardless of where they're at. No more frantic e-mails and instant messages through AIM or ICQ. With Server, playing games with your friends is a no-hassle experience. For more detailed informating on Playerplayer, check out our section on finding friends and chatting.

Step Three: Playing a Game in Server

Dedicated Server games

Server allows you to locate and join dedicated server games, like Half-Life and its many mods.

Assuming you've already got games installed on your PC that Server supports, joining a game in Server is incredibly simple. So simple, in fact, that we're confident you'll use Server to find and launch games instead of using those clunky in-game browsers.

If you don't already have games installed on your PC, or if the games you have don't show up in your Games menu in Server, read the Adding Games in Server section of the help guide. If you just need to get some games, you can click the "Demos" button to grab some free game demos and start playing online right away.

If you do have some games, you're just a couple of steps away from getting into the action. Note: For most games, you'll need to have the CD in your CD-ROM drive in order for the game to launch properly. Take care of that before you even enter Server.

Dedicated Server Games (Quake, Half-life, etc.)

1. Find the game's icon on the left-hand navigation bar under the My Games tab and click on it.

2. You should now be in the main chat room / staging area for the game you've chosen. A list of servers, sortable by number of players, game type, ping and the map being played will appear in the main content window. A chat session for the game, along with a list of people in the chat room, will appear in the chat window.

Peer to Peer games

Server is perfect for setting up peer-to-peer games, like the strategy game Total Annihilation.

3. Select a server to join. If you're playing a dedicated server game like Quake 3: Arena, Half-Life or Unreal Tournament, this is pretty painless. You can scroll through the list of servers until you find one that meets your gaming needs.

4. Get in the game! Just double-click on the server listing and Server will immediately launch the game, dropping you into the server you've selected.

Peer-to-Peer games

1. Find the game's icon on the left-hand navigation bar under the My Games tab and click on it.

2. You should now be in the main chat room / staging area for the game you've chosen. A list of servers, sortable by number of players, game type, ping and the map being played will appear in the main content window. A chat session for the game, along with a list of people in the chat room, will appear in the chat window.

3. Select a game to join. Since peer-to-peer games must be launched simultaneously by all the people playing, you'll have to find one that's looking for players. This should be pretty obvious, as Server will only allow you to join peer-to-peer games that are looking for players and haven't launched yet.

The Player Matching dialog

Server's player-matching system allows you to search for online players that own the same games as you.

Get in the game! Double clicking on the server listing will take you into a staging area, where you'll be able to chat with the other players about to enter the game. Click the Ready button when you're all set to play. When everyone is ready, the game host will launch the game, and Server will automatically fire it up for everyone.

Player-Matching and Player Invitations

When you enter a peer-to-peer game room with no open servers, or nobody in the chat, Server will automatically ask you if you'd like to search for potential players. Answering yes will trigger a search for people who have the gameinstalled and who are currently logged into Server, and you'll have the option to invite them to play with you. They may decline. Don't take it personally. If someone invites you to play, a window will pop up asking if you want to play. You can decline their invitation, and can even choose an option to ignore all invitations for as long as you're logged in.

And that's all there is to the basics of using Server. If you need help with or information in greater depth on any other Server feature, please keep browsing through the help section

Ergo I wanted my own long nonsensical post that I worked on hard for a long time, but I did not have the motivation so I just found some random bull shit.

I voted for the third option, for this reasoning. It seems like there is pretty unanimous agreement. Discrimination prevented. Continue playing MTA everyone! omgsmiley.gifbravo.gif

fyof.gif

smileypuke.gif

3rd, NON-DISCRIMINATING option? NO WAY!

Hell, you have my vote, 3rd!

I see only topic author still thinks there is something wrong with it.

Ransom, when i saw so-damn-long-post i thought "wtf", then started to reading, count of wtf/seconds was incredibly huge, then i found this one:

If you are reading this nonsense then I am impressed.

Cool. So i didnt miss anything ^^ I thought somebody hibernated me or something, and its already the-end-of-the-world-aka-2012..

You have won in the most non-sense post comepition, the prize is the kiss (maybe something more ;)) from this hot chick:

http://www.grimmemennesker.dk/data/medi ... M02062.jpg

Lol! This is getting funny!

Ransom just talk funny when I see your post here. He's bringing funny ransoms! :D

I know you're laughing Ransom and varez. Feels better 8)$

I voted 3. There's a bunch of options they can do to find servers. The serverlist is working just fine.