Wait!.... Don't hate..

e-Hate

5cltf5.gif

(Please read the whole post, I spent the time writing it, and I hope you read it :) )

Hello! My name is Kevin.

Now, before you call me a newbie (which I am to the world of Lua / MTA scripting) I would like to introduce myself and offer some information about me. (hope that doesn't sound weird :D)

First, I come from SAMP (lol) I have played SAMP for some 2 1/2 years now, and while at Valhalla Gaming (great place--not endorsing) I saw they had an MTA RP server. After little investigation, I decided I'd go and check out to see what MTA was. I was astounded at all the amazing possibilities that this game mod could hold. So I told some of my friends and their friends etc. Believe it or not, now there are approximately 10-15 people playing MTA in my general area (based on a gues of how many of our friends talk about playing it with us).

Second, I have scripted in SAMP for quite some time now, (since before I joined their forums in case you keep up there.) I scripted for several servers there including Project Reality Role Play, and Mr. Awesome's Stunting. This got me interested in scripting, so my journey began. I started exploring the world of digital design, and created two servers of my own (with much time) and began a community. You may know us by our very old name of "Crazy Awesome Gaming", or by our newer name, which is "Trifecta Gaming" (tri as in triangle, and fecta as in....just how it sounds). We have a Role play server, and a incredible stunt server there. But we aren't here to talk about SAMP.

As I continued with my works in SAMP and exploring in MTA I made some really good friends, which led me to being admin on this MTA server and that MTA server...

And now, I am very much so interested in scripting for MTA.

I am more or less leaning towards scripting up a role-play server for MTA, or perhaps a destruction derby server.

This brings me to now. I need your guy's help. Should I start a RP server? Or a DD server? And where should I begin? I know absolutely nothing about scripting in Lua.

Perhaps if someone would like to help me with scripting, that would rock! My friends has a host that he's friends with, and I can have a dedicated 24/7 server online in a few days. As of right now I am just looking for some help from someone who is kind enough to take some time to help a beginner.

I hope we all can benefit, and meet in game someday in the future!

-Kevin Joshen

Trifecta Gaming, Owner

Hi,

Welcome to MTA.

Not sure if it is right place for this post (it looks more like general topic) - maybe some other mod will move this later.

What can I say:

As you have seen - MTA is offering much more than SAMP to do with scripting. MTA scripting differs from SAMP one, but it's a lot easier. Lua is very simple language, I've used to code in many languages, and PAWN was in my top 5 of worst languages i ever known (I used to make few scripts for Counter-Strike 1.6 server). MTA scripting can be confusing at start - becouse there are client side and server side scripts. They are working independent - server side on server, and client side on each client. After some time you will find this very useful and easy to understand. Just need to switch from "SAMP thinking" to MTA.

We are getting and sharing our knowledge in MTA Wiki - check main page - there is box called Scripting - You will find there everything you need to start scripting, debug scripts, find out what are resources and how these things are all working. On the left menu you will find complete lists of server/client side functions and events.

You can also download public scripts from our community (which is actually down, due to bigger update) - maybe you want to make something that is already made? Or just want to take a peek how it's done?

If you are stuck with scripting - you already know where to look - Scripting section of the forum.

What else?

Umm, nothing comes to my mind right now (maybe because it's 1:45 am here).

Good luck,

~varez

PS. You could choose better title for your topic :P

Welcome, good that not all people that was on samp is "brain washed" at the point to try mta and point the facts that its better then samp at all.

What varez said is right about the language, its kinda hard at begining to get used to it ( especialy if you come from pawn and you are allways thinking on that ) but after sometime you will start getting used to it.

Good luck and dont giveup.

Thank you guys. I appreciate the kind words and motivational thoughts. I will give it a shot, besides, I've got nothing to lose. But, other than the wiki, are there any good tutorials you could point me to? (i'm having trouble understanding all the functions etc.) and also, what is the editor you use for Lua? I just downloaded LuaEdit2010

Thank you guys. I appreciate the kind words and motivational thoughts. I will give it a shot, besides, I've got nothing to lose. But, other than the wiki, are there any good tutorials you could point me to? (i'm having trouble understanding all the functions etc.) and also, what is the editor you use for Lua? I just downloaded LuaEdit2010

I actually use notepad++, but there is a script editor mady by 50p which detects errors and this way you don't need to go to game and see that your script dosn't works, https://forum.multitheftauto.com/viewtopic.php?f=91&t=24834

that will be realy big project to you.

You should start whit the most important things, but, because you are begginer, so, you should start whit easy things.

Just, make sure, what RPG you want, teams, or whitout, if want teams, maybe make a team gui, whit teams and else, make the best one :mrgreen:

or whitout teams , maybe make logingui or something.

and you can always ask from me help..

contact whit PM me if you want, i will give my MSN :roll: