Is MTA SA will be ported to the Mac ?

Aless

Question

Hello,

I was wondering if MTA SA will be ported since Rockstar said "GTA 3/VC/SA" will be ported to the platform Macintosh.

I would like to have the answer from the developers of the mod, and not get an answer like "You need a brain" from members on the SA-MP Forums...

Thanks for reading.

Aless

The problem is, MTASA is massively reliant on Windows API, and the whole hack is designed around the Windows Executable for GTASA. Mac has a more limited API when it comes to reverse engineering (from what i've read) for security reasons, making coding any sort of hack of the scale of MTASA much harder to do.

Ignoring the capabilities of OS X, Porting it would essentially mean a large rewrite from the ground up, and redoing massive amounts of research for the Mac's executables. It would be nice, but we have troubles running on windows executables other than 1.00 (i.e. 1.01,2.00,3.00) which would be more worth looking into first, before delving into something as different as Mac.

I'd say it'd be possible, code injection is possible on Mac OS X, but the same issue applies as applies to MTA supporting different PC executable versions - finding the layout of the game in memory multiple times and providing a system for supporting these is fairly time consuming.

That said, I'm sure someone with a few weeks of time could get it running. Anyone?

You remind me this:

http://izismile.com/img/img3/20100909/f ... ter_01.jpg

Somebody should add: You can't play MTA to this graphic :P

... Who need a Mac Pro ? I own a iMac (standard without upgrade) 3.06GHz Dualcore - 4 GB DDR3, and 500 GB of disk space with a GeForce 9400 256MB, it's just sufficient. GTA SA does not need a High End CPU/GPU like Grand Theft Auto IV. :wink:

A Mac Pro is made for specific needs, is for those who work with the Adobe Creative Suite firstly. :roll:

I own a Mac and a PC, it's not i dont want to play on my PC but it will be cool to play on different platform so we can get (a little) more players.

You remind me this:

http://izismile.com/img/img3/20100909/f ... ter_01.jpg

Somebody should add: You can't play MTA to this graphic :P

This kind of discussion(Mac vs PC) here seems kind of ironic, because uttermost of the games are designed-modeled on a Mac (Pro), I would bet that (bits of) San Andreas also.

Not everybody buys a computer just to run COD XIV on the maximum settings.

I'd like to add a suitably large [citation needed], but there's not enough room on this page.

Also, Mac vs. PC is probably the one extremely pointless, hackneyed discussion we haven't had here as of yet, so why start it now?

• MTA Team
This kind of discussion(Mac vs PC) here seems kind of ironic, because uttermost of the games are designed-modeled on a Mac (Pro), I would bet that (bits of) San Andreas also.

Not everybody buys a computer just to run COD XIV on the maximum settings.

Actually, i doubt that. A Mac is popular in the publishing world, 2D printed media and in the movie world. but i don't think it is that populair in the 3D designer world.

I saw some video about gaming industry and it was EA or Ubisoft lab (not sure which one exactly) and the designers-modellers shown there were all using Macs. And I read some article about game designers also, maybe I can find them later. But yes, no need for Mac vs PC battle here.

I saw some video about gaming industry and it was EA or Ubisoft lab (not sure which one exactly) and the designers-modellers shown there were all using Macs. And I read some article about game designers also, maybe I can find them later. But yes, no need for Mac vs PC battle here.

True that, I'm using a MacBook with Windows 7 on it. :wink:

I'm using a Macbook Pro myself and I must say that I was skeptical too at first but after using it a while, I realized the huge difference in quality and design when compared to regular laptops.

Now remember that I'm not talking about stationary PCs vs Macs, as I haven't had the chance to really try out a stationary mac.

Anyway, if you want a laptop that looks good, performs well and atop of that has great battery life and quality, then I'd recommend a Macbook Pro.

6 days? Seriously? The activity on this forum is much worse in some active topics than that. :)

As for getting back on topic, yes, that is my point of the bump. The topic went somewhere completely off topic, and I'm still waiting for some more opinions from the MTA development team regarding this topic.

I don't see the issue. The source is already open, and in C++. It wouldn't be hard to make small tweaks and compile it in their format. Macs already use Intel processors as a standard now. What issues could there be?

Memory addresses and some sort of graphics subsystem (Macs don't have DirectX!).

I don't see the issue. The source is already open, and in C++. It wouldn't be hard to make small tweaks and compile it in their format. Macs already use Intel processors as a standard now. What issues could there be?

Small tweaks? Are you kidding? Did you just miss posts by myself and eAi

This isnt a matter of opening up the vcproj on a Mac machine, and setting a flag to "For Intel Macs".

Yes, DirectX would have to be ripped out and redone in OpenGL, but so what? 90% of the code would stay intact on the remainder of the source. I still don't see the issue. You could even theoretically make the Linux server versions run natively on Mac already, so why not add the client too? Memory address work may be alot, but bare in mind that there's some time before the Mac versions will even be out, plus once MTA:SA hits 1.1, it's pretty damn stable, so there should be enough free time in between to convert the current source into a Mac-workable version. It would simply be a port of the original. It's not like you're rewriting the whole thing while coding something all-new. I know it's work, but it's still a great idea. Why leave those users out when you can expand? Beat Kye to it. Prove that you're the better multiplayer by working harder than he ever has. :D

P.S. If you one-up Kye on this, it'll expand your userbase majorly.