LA Conference?

roylbutler

Question

I'm in Los Angeles and would be fascinated to have a core MTA developer come to present for 2-3 days on how they originally worked multiplayer through closed-source game manipulation by memory over sockets.

I'm willing to pay for $2-4K of travel/stay expenses for a core/moderator member to discuss it at a level people familiar with C/C++/Sockets/Assembly would pick up. If there's other interest, perhaps we could share the expense...

Roy

16 answers to this question

Hi Roy

This sounds really cool, but over the past few months we've seen an odd shift in development from a very much USA-based team to one that's almost entirely situated around Europe, which obviously makes this more difficult to busier contributors. Nevertheless, I'll see if i can get word to some of our older contributors who are based relatively nearby to see if they can lend a hand.

Hi Roy,

Sounds like an interesting concept. I happen to be in L.A. from end October to early November, perhaps we can work something out here.

Are you the "IJS" in the source code credits and the http://ijs.mtasa.com/ site? Sounds like this could be a possibility.

If there's enough interest, I could book a small conference room somewhere nearby. I'd be really interested in how the coding problem was approached - how to look into the flow of data in an executable to see where you could read/write effectively, to transfer between multiple clients, to "create" a multiplayer experience.

Hi Roy,

Are you the "IJS" in the source code credits and the http://ijs.mtasa.com/ site? Sounds like this could be a possibility.

If there's enough interest, I could book a small conference room somewhere nearby. I'd be really interested in how the coding problem was approached - how to look into the flow of data in an executable to see where you could read/write effectively, to transfer between multiple clients, to "create" a multiplayer experience.

That's correct. I think this sounds like a great idea and I'd be more than willing to do a talk (or whatever you have in mind) about the techniques behind our project. I'll be in and around Los Angeles from the 16th of October for at least a week.

Of course you can always contact me personally at the e-mail address provided in the source code or ijsf at gmx.net if you'd like to discuss the details in private.

Hello as well to you iJs, (and other devs). If you ever happen to be in the Sacramento area in your future, hit me up as well. I would also love an opportunity such as this. I am not personally able to code in any language outside of HTML, and although this is in no way helpful in comparison to what you made, it would still be interesting, as well as a true honor, to meet the makers of GTA multiplayer history. :)

neat stuff, let us know how it goes

Totally agreed. I want the details on this trip! :D

I just happened to stop by this, but I might be able to stop by and visit depending on the conditions since I'm about 150 miles away from L.A.

Not sure if anyone wants to go through with this though, I'd love it though. I just made a few small patches for MTA, and that's about it... but I still like the idea.

And just for clarification, I'm not the "fedor" credited in the MTA DP or the one on irc.

Wow, Most MTA teams appear in this topic...

You seem to have a great experience at scripting (C++ language), and curious about how they made MTA SA, so you want them for a conference?

I also want to know that, but it's not possible for me right now, cause I live in south east Asia and still too young (14) to travel to L.A by myself. :P Aside from that, wish you get all the information you need from them. Good luck Roy. :)