Quick math.random Help

Okay I have this script:

function dieHandler()
local aa = math.random(1,3)
local ab = tonumber(aa)
if ab == 1 then
outputChatBox("Damn!  Now we'll never get that Weed!", source, 255, 0, 0, true)
elseif ab == 2
outputChatBox("...Knew I should've gotten Chris to do it!", source, 255, 0, 0, true)
elseif ab == 3
outputChatBox("Next time we get the stuff, you ain't in!", source, 255, 0, 0, true)
end
setSoundVolume(snd, .35)
local sound = playSound("sounds/wasted.mp3")
end
addEventHandler("onClientPlayerWasted", getResourceRootElement(getThisResource()), dieHandler)

But it won't work. If I remove everything and just make it output a message it works (aka i remove the random stuff). Does anyone know why?

Thanks in advance.

I think you should learn a bit more about Lua syntax and event handlers..

1. You attached the event to the resource root element, which makes no sense, because the source is the player, who died.

https://wiki.multitheftauto.com/wiki/OnC ... ayerWasted

2. The thing with variable "ab" is unnecessary, math.random already returns a number, so a conversion from a number to number is pointless.

3. You're missing the "then" after your elseif conditions.

4. You set the sound volume from a sound element "snd" to something, although in the next line you play a sound and save it in the variable "sound". So the lines should be swapped and setSoundVolume should rather use an actual sound element.

Okay thanks for your help, it works now. And about the snd in playSound, it is a global sound from another part of the script. I didn't post the whole script, just the function that wasn't working. And I knew that math.random already returned a number, but after trying everything else (and forgetting the then after elseif :? ) I tried anything.