Advice Needed for Similar Mod in Morrowind

Guest Stryker2k3

For those of you not familiar with Morrowind it is a first person RPG set in a large freeform fantasy land similar to GTA not only in its free nature but also in the fact that it is shipped without multiplayer.

Following extensive discussion on the Morrowind Mod Forum the idea of a similar mod to your's has been proposed. If at all possible I was wondering if and of the developers of this excellent multiplayer mod could lend advice or possibly a kind of development diary from your own mod, such as how you started problems with code etc. , to assist anyone attempting a similar mod to bring multiplayer to Morrowind.

To give you an idea of the proposed multiplayer game it would be a kind of Diablo or Baldur's Gate but in first person.

Many thanks

• MTA Team

to break it down to basics : we manipulate memory adressess, everything in GTA is stored in the mem. Your own location but also that off other actors, cars and so on everything is stored there. All we did was sync those. Off course, there's a lot more to it ;)

The best way to find out is searching for trainers and see how they work, if there is no source available, ask it's creator. That is how this mod started, with the GTA3 Admin console (one of the best trainers for GTA3)

Thanks a lot that is really helpful. Just a few questions though that have arisen on our board :

1. The main concern is that memory hacking is illegal and some lamers on the board seem to think that any attempt will be stopped by the developers. Did you guys inform Rockstar/ what do they think of your mod?

2. Did GTA have any multiplayer code in it to begin with i.e. left over from the developer's attempts which made it easier for you guys?

3. Do you think that an fps rpg like Morrowind would face any unsolvable problems in the implementing of multiplayer such as long lag or problems with quests?

Thanks a lot for your help. :D

This seems like an impossible task, or at least a hefty one. There is 50 times more information in morrowind than in GTA 3 or VC. There is also the problems with bad FPS and the CTD problems everyone has. Granted there are fixes, but there are still CTD's though they are less frequent. Also with all the different kinds of Armor, Clothes, Weapons, Rings, Ect. and the fact they are interchangable with each other, that would mean lots of work to get everything synced. Also with all the mods out, and the different expansions. This mod seems like a lot of work, not months, more like years.

I was actually thinking about what other games would lend well to multiplayer, and Morrowind was the one that came to mind. First of all, I'm pretty sure memory hacking is in no way illegal, although actually modify the .exe file is, although you won't need to do this. I wouldn't think the developers would stop modding, they like when the community makes their game live on.

What you'll probably need to do is become familiar with memory hacking, it's pretty easy. I'd start off finding your characters X, Y, and Z and trying to get that to go onto another character. You'll also probably need help from the game itself, as memory hacking the entire thing probably isn't possible. Luckily, Morrowind is very moddable, so you should be able to do a lot with that to help you out. I'd recommend modding in another character to be your test guy, the guy who will hopefully eventually move around as another player. Depending on Morrowind's flexibility, you may be able to put variables in which switch around what he is wearing, so later on you can simply find those variables in memory and change them accordingly.

In my opinion, it seems like an easier task than modding GTA, as you only need the person's coordinates, if they're walking and if they're attacking. Spells could be difficult, but there's time for all that later. Also, like I said, Morrowind is made to be moddable, GTA isn't, so you should be able to do a lot with that system.

Again thanks a lot for your help! If you pop on over to the Morrowind Mods Forum, particularly this thread http://www.elderscrolls.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=1706851&page=0&view=&sb=5&o=&fpart=8&vc=1 you will see how popular the idea of a multiplayer mod is but also how unfamiliar people are with memory values and how to go about starting such a mod. Thanks to you guys this could soon become a reality and may someday be as popular as your mod :D !!

Nearly forgot..

Also what programs, if any, did you use to begin with to alter memory values and how easy do you think it would be for someone who has never altered a memory value to begin a mod such as yours?