Sound won't play.

So I was wanting make it so when someone joined it would play a sound saying "User Joined" and anytime someone joins, the sound does not play.

addEventHandler("onPlayerJoin", root,
function()
   	playerData = {}
   	playerData.mode = 1;
if mode == 1 then
local joined = playSound("sounds/joined.wav")
setSoundVolume(joined, 1)
end
outputChatBox('Welcome to our server', source, 0, 255, 0)
outputChatBox('Your current mode is: '..modeName(playerData.mode)..'.', source, 0, 255, 0)
end
)

you are mixing up server side events and client side functions. in this case changing the event to the client side equivalent "onClientPlayerJoin" should work (you'll still need to change the script file type to "client" in the meta.xml), however you need to change the chat outputs then. you can use onClientResourceStart for that, if you use this you need to remove the source argument

In addition to that, I also don't really get these lines:

playerData = {}
playerData.mode = 1;
if mode == 1 then

First of all, mode will probably be nil, you have to use playerData.mode within your if clause.

Also, it doesn't make much sense, because you just set a variable to a value and then check, if the variable has this exact same value.

That will always return true, so there is no need for the if clause.

In addition to that, I also don't really get these lines:
playerData = {}
playerData.mode = 1;
if mode == 1 then

First of all, mode will probably be nil, you have to use playerData.mode within your if clause.

Also, it doesn't make much sense, because you just set a variable to a value and then check, if the variable has this exact same value.

That will always return true, so there is no need for the if clause.

Well actually I have a few commands that let you change the mode so it will check if there mode is 1 so then it will send them the message because mode 1 is freeroam and 2 is roleplaying 3 is racing.