Any tips on keeping FPS consistent?

Power-Inside

Question

I have two computers on a local LAN connection and we both use it to play MTA SA (1.0.4)

One PC has a lower grade single core CPU so it gets an average of 15 to 17 fps and only at times 29 fps etc..

The new PC gets a constant fps of 30. So when we play RACE modes, the player of the 1st PC always seem to degrade in speed and there is virtually no way for that PC to win in a race in MTA. The latency etc is excellent ( 1- 2 ms ping and no more than that i guess)

What to do to lower FPS on the 1st PC? I've turned down all the details.. but the particles and motion blur seems to be one root cause of slowdown. So is there anyway/ any software to disable these or increase gamespeed?

Also , why is MTA showing considerable failiure in this regard? its only a small difference of FPS and still? Will MTU tweaking help?

4 answers to this question

MTA is failing at low FPS, because GTA fails at low FPS. Simple as that. :P And FPS being half, I wouldn't call that a "small difference", frankly.

Anyway, there are several things you can do:

• Make sure you don't run anything on the background
  • Try turning down resolution. It can help a lot
  • Some things (like speedometers) can sometimes make FPS drop a bit. If you have such resources on, try turning them off
  • Blur and clouds can be disabled in Race. In-game, open the admin panel -> Resources tab -> Click race -> Click settings -> find "blur" and "clouds" -> Make sure you turn them off (probably "false")
  • You can lower the FPS limit of MTA. Go to %Place where you installed MTA% -> server -> mods -> deathmatch -> local.conf / mtaserver.conf (first if you use "Host game" in the main menu, the second if you use the dedicated server) -> Change 36 to whatever you like. (minimum = 25)
  • When using 1.0.4, you can go to Settings -> Advanced and set "Asynchronous Loading" to "On". Should help on maps with a lot of objects. (if not running 1.0.4, read: upgrade to 1.0.4)
  • If all fails, I'd suggest to either upgrade or replace the slower PC. Single-cores are just getting too slow compared to dual / quad / hexa / whateva core processors.

Single-cores are just getting too slow compared to dual / quad / hexa / whateva core processors.

can mta/gta use more than one core? i dont think so..

It's still beneficial for the rest of the system as background processes can use other core(s), leaving GTA/MTA to use most of one core for itself.