"Another player is already connected from this IP"

Guest danfrein

Is there any way to get around the "Another player is already connected from this IP" limitation? Two friends of mine wanted to join my MTA server from the same house/DSL line, and obviously the 2nd person joining got that error. Is there a server option that allows the MTA server to allow clients from the same IP? or is it a limitation of the code? Thank you in advance.

even if you are both on the same dsl line you should have seperate ip's, otherwise it would be impossible for you to even view a www page, as the server wouldnt know which person to send the data to. look inot your router options etc, also check other identical posts on here with the 'search' feature.

he he he :lol:

I use the same dsl line with my sis. MY modem has a ethernet plug and a USB plug. I did a lil experiment and I hooked up the ethernet cable to my laptop then the usb cable to my destop computer and it worked. we both browse the internet on the same time and I think we have the same Ip because it came from the same modem, no routers :shock:

MrBump -

Most home routers use a technology called NAT - Network Address Translation. This allows you to share a public ip (the one assigned by your isp) amongst the people on your lan (or those connected to the router at your home). The people behind the router get assigned a unique non-routable ip (10.x.x.x, 192.168.x.x, etc..). The only ip address that websites will see is the public ip so in effect they only have the single ip address and MTA is only seeing that single ip address. Other games can tell the difference between person 1 behind the router and person 2 by using a different means of identifying them other than by the ip address. I forget exactly how it's done but I seem to remember something about the header information stored in the tcp/ip packet which then tells the router where to send the information to (person 1 or person 2). Somebody else might be able to fill in the rest of the info.

-Cheers

Falken

Other games can tell the difference between person 1 behind the router and person 2 by using a different means of identifying them other than by the ip address. I forget exactly how it's done but I seem to remember something about the header information stored in the tcp/ip packet which then tells the router where to send the information to (person 1 or person 2). Somebody else might be able to fill in the rest of the info.

I haven't heard of this method.. however what we can assume is that if 2 people are connecting to the same ip.. then the port being used by the router, must be different (as to route back to each person on the lan) As such we can just be really careful with how the client views the sockets and the different clients connected so there is no confusion. allowing this feature was something we just didn't want to worry about troubleshooting so early in development. (we just wanted the freaking thing to work first)

Kent

I haven't heard of this method.. however what we can assume is that if 2 people are connecting to the same ip.. then the port being used by the router, must be different (as to route back to each person on the lan) As such we can just be really careful with how the client views the sockets and the different clients connected so there is no confusion. allowing this feature was something we just didn't want to worry about troubleshooting so early in development. (we just wanted the freaking thing to work first)

Kent

yup router only changes teh ports, not the ip and that really suks hehe but hope that will be fixed on v0.2 =)

even having a different port is enough...

think about it 2 people behind one ip

the server would see (for example)

12.54.xx.xx:2315

and

12.54.xx.xx:3214

2 different ports, is enough to direct traffic... as the router will receive responses on the different ports and route back correctly