Well I reckon I've got the shittiest video card. A Diamond Viper V770! (TNT2 - 32mb).

Luckily because I have a P4-2ghz I can semi-sorta play GTA3 :)

But, as soon as Vice City comes out I'll be upgrading, and Doom 3 will be out not long after that so... :)

I need to get faster HDDs too, only 5400 rpm (one 40gb, one 10gb)

Got 512MB ram tho :)

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

a gf2mx400 strugles running gta3 - i hate to think what it is like running the next "big" game. And gf2 cant run it at full performance, you have to disable a lot otherwise the game goes sllloooowwww =)

Yea, don't get a MX card what ever you do, if you can afford to buy a new PC, then you can afford to do better then an MX. Especially a GF2. And no, you can't run any current game with one, not playable anyways. Try playing Splinter Cell with a GF2 MX. Even a Ti GF2 has problems with that game. At least get a GF3, preferably Ti, you can get those for real cheap on eBay or Pricewatch.com

• MTA Team

If you are looking for a budget card, don't take the GF4MX but take the GF3, GF4TI4200 or Radeon 9000, they are cheaper and perform better.

@stat: i didn't want to start a discussion over what is the best processor. Intel procs are the best, everyone nows that, but when you look what is the best value for your money you can't ignore that AMD is better.

@newbinator: it totally depend on what you want. go to some local webshops and try out there pc configurators. you'll imidiatly now how much it costs

@ xerox: a GF2MX400 works fine with GTA3, off course you have to lower you res. But every1 who has a GF2 card says the same: i can still run every game thats out there at modorate settings

@Strife: I'm gonna try Splinter Cell on my older pc. It has a GF2MX400 and i'll let you now how it goes.

@ Prostheus: if you by a Ti4800, you're ripped of, it's a Ti 4200 with AGP8X and everybody knows (i think everybody does) that the difference betweenAGP4X and AGP8X is almost 0 . The only card that does have an advantage @ 8X is the GF4MX 480.

Fair enough. :)

I don't know crap about video cards, especialy the GeForce range.

All I know is I'm buying ATi :) (and probably a 9100 or 9500, since the 9500 is the same as a 9700 once the firmware's updated, and the 9700 is the same as the 9700 Pro when firmware's updated :) )

• MTA Team

euh again not true: there are 9500 cards with a 9700 core, but not only the firmware is different, there's also a resistor on the GPU that is placed on a different way. relocating that is something you can't do without albo style material. otherwise you can say bye bye to your card

It's good to see someone who knows what they're talking about. I know I was only explaining the basics, but couldn't be bothered to check back as to what exactly it was. :)

Before I got this computer I have now, I was out of the computer side of things for around 3 years. Still trying to catch up now, and having a hard time doing so...

Glad I have friends that have kept up-to-date with it though. :)

Just for the record....

@ Prostheus: if you by a Ti4800, you're ripped of, it's a Ti 4200 with AGP8X and everybody knows (i think everybody does) that the difference betweenAGP4X and AGP8X is almost 0 . The only card that does have an advantage @ 8X is the GF4MX 480.

The Ti4800SE is basically a Ti4400 @ 8x, with a few extra trimmings.

The Ti4800 NON-SE has the Ti4600 speed mem, faster mem/core clock and AGP 8x. There is a Ti4200SE, which has 8x, but is not worth the extra £30($40-50) extra when the Ti4800 is within the price range. all main distributors have dropped the Ti4400/4600 to sell the Ti4800 and Ti4800SE.

so kids, remember, if it has 'SE' in the name, stay well clear. The Ti4800 *NON SE* is an awesome card.

euh again not true: there are 9500 cards with a 9700 core, but not only the firmware is different, there's also a resistor on the GPU that is placed on a different way. relocating that is something you can't do without albo style material. otherwise you can say bye bye to your card

if you do buy a R9500, and want to mod it to a R9700, there is only 1 type of R9500 that will allow it. The first wave of Radeon 9500's had R9700 PCB, with severed pipelines, so it basically run far less than the 9700, but had the capability of running all pipelines. Look for the layout of the card, mem blocks being in a 'L' shape is a give away, also, it needs to be the NON PRO version. anything else is not moddable. we tried this mod at net-machines.com, but to no avail. even if you have a moddable card, chances are the severed pipelines have been damaged and are unusable. the R9700 is a great card to run GTA3.

The R9500, @ default clock speeds runs almost the same as the Ti4200, overclocked, the Ti4200 beats it quite nicely. In my opinion, it is far better to go nVidia rather than ATI, based on reliability and driver support, but thats my opinion :P

Edited by Guest
Before I got this computer I have now, I was out of the computer side of things for around 3 years. Still trying to catch up now, and having a hard time doing so...

Yo same situation ova here too. the last time i owned a computer was when 486'es was the thang and pentium 1's where just round the market.

but consoles was my business and i owned every major one out there. now im using a comp to play those classics..who that thunk it....

Its hard as hell to catch up to the high and living standard.......mayb till we win the state lottery? eh?

GF4MX is a budget card, runs a lot slower than the Ti model. High end GF3 cards also beat it. The GF4MX has DX8 features, whereas the GF3 is a DX7 card. That is the only advantage the GF4MX chip has over the GF3.

I would reccomend NOT buying a GF4MX, as they are strictly budget cards, and not very good ones at that :P

Stat^ thats not entirely correct....

The Geforce 4 MX series of cards are direct X 7.0 compliant. (no PS or VS)

The Geforce 3 TI series of cards are direct X 8.0 compliant. (PS 1.1 VS 1.1)

The Geforce 4 TI series of cards are direct X 8.1 compliant. (PS 1.3 VS 1.1)

Oh, and btw, my specs....

Athlon XP 2200+ @ 2,0 Ghz (XP 2400+ T-bred A)

256 MB DDR 333

Geforce 4 TI 4200 w/8

80 GB Maxtor 7200

geforce MX sux teh ass. me mate had one and played splintercell on it the nightvision was grey and the thermals showed nothing but blue! which was fun...

anyway, my specs :D

Athlon XP thoro bread 2700 (333)

radeon 9700 pro se

abit max 2

2x 512DDR 3200

40gig +120gig maxtor HDD's

soundblaster extigy (gonna get an audigy2 as the usb is BAD!!!!!)

I did run gta3 in 1024x768on my old geforce ti4600 because in 1280x1024 the cars just looked wrong, stretched etc...

now i got me radeon its in 1600x1200

oh btw my radeon boosted my 3dmarks 2003 marks by 1500 !!

oh and how do i get fps to show up in gta3? :twisted: